sakskidz

Zoolander 2 | February 12, 2016 | Teaser Trailer on Page 6!

This teaser killed at Rogue Nation, it followed the trailers for 13 hours, Bridge of Spies, SPECTRE and The Gift. The narration made it seem serious as well and it slowly started showing its hand, when Stiller showed up, the audience laughter was huge.

I just realized that the first film... Well it didn't exactly set the box office world on fire. So.why is it that they decided to make a.sequel 15 years later? Did it gain a cult following?

To an extent, yes.
  • Like 1

I don't think cult is the right word. It just kind of gained relevance and was increasingly seen by the public eye.

More like Shawshank Redemption, which is now a classic after a sofr box office rather than Repo! The Genetic Opera or Rocky Horror.

I just realized that the first film... Well it didn't exactly set the box office world on fire. So.why is it that they decided to make a.sequel 15 years later? Did it gain a cult following?

It came out literally days after 9/11, so it suffered due to that. Since it's gained a moderate cult following.

The movie came out around 9/11. There was no TV ads for it due to 9/11 being covered 24/7. One network actually cut to the WTC during a commercial for the movie, and Zoolander ended up being one of the first movies to digitally remove the Twin Towers from the film.

As for the Cult Following, the movie came out around the time DVD took off. I was quite young back then, but I remember seeing Zoolander DVD ads and displays everywhere.

Edited by AJG