rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

but you can objectively determine good acting, good writing, etc.  Writing is not wholly personal opinion, neither is acting, etc.

Whether or not you have proper punctuation, grammar, and coherent description is objective.

Whether or not what you write is convincing or palatable is subjective. Dramas are meant to engage the audience emotionally and hold their attention and concern. If that fails for a person, that person is within his/her rights to say the writing was not well done, because the film failed to achieve its primary goal through its dialogue and narrative.

• Like 1

Truth be told, personal, emotional response is always more interesting and more important than some checklist of criteria for goodness like you're babbling on about. And I can't think of anything more subjective than acting or writing, what rings true to you won't to someone else, and they'll think it sucks and is terrible and you'll think it's great, that's the fucking beauty of art, man! I think the majority of the performances in Kane, with the exception of the lead, come across as inauthentic, and therefore bad, am I objectively wrong? of course not.

Telling someone they're not allowed to call a subjective piece of art bad is just fucking weird. It feels like you're restricting yourself from a wider more interesting conversation.

• Like 5

And ruk, I don't wanna rush you or anything but the video game countdown started a couple days after this one and it's into the top 5 already and this has yet to crack the top 80. Should I come back at christmas to find out what the number one is?

• Like 5

Truth be told, personal, emotional response is always more interesting and more important than some checklist of criteria for goodness like you're babbling on about. And I can't think of anything more subjective than acting or writing, what rings true to you won't to someone else, and they'll think it sucks and is terrible and you'll think it's great, that's the fucking beauty of art, man! I think the majority of the performances in Kane, with the exception of the lead, come across as inauthentic, and therefore bad, am I objectively wrong? of course not.

Telling someone they're not allowed to call a subjective piece of art bad is just fucking weird. It feels like you're restricting yourself from a wider more interesting conversation.

There's objectivity to everything, obviously there are subjective elements but not liking certain elements or choices made doesn't mean they were bad if they pulled them off well.  If it quality was truly determinate on a person's opinion then you wouldn't see opinions align like they do for films like Citizen Kane.

Obviously there are some films with a lot of problems but also a lot going for them, so in that case it gets a lot more subjective, but when it comes to Citizen Kane it has its acclaim for a reason.  Claiming it was poorly crafted in any cinematic sense would be nonsense, there's a reason all of the shots it pioneered are still in use today.  And if you couldn't create a basic overview if a performance was good or not (as is writing) you wouldn't be able to teach the crafts.  Yes, there are certain styles in both, and some people prefer certain styles over others, but doing a certain style well (Such as a hyper-realism approach in acting, which tends to be the most prevalent in film nowadays) and you not liking the style wouldn't make the performance bad, you just personally aren't a fan of the style but it doesn't make the performance bad.

I am not saying film is a checklist, there are subjective elements, but people tend to get caught up in preference and don't actually judge quality.  I guarantee anyone who doesn't like Citizen Kane either,

1.Heard, "Best Film of All Time", expected a movie that was stylistically in line with what they prefer and the film didn't mean those expectations, thus they were caught off guard and found it 'boring'.

2.Weren't interested in how it was presented (however objectively you can still judge from this point if it is well presented in that particular style).

3.Consciously  or Subconsciously want to be above it; having the hipster type mindset.

There aren't a lot of films that I will get into it about when people say they're bad, but Citizen Kane is one of them because calling it a bad film and still expecting people to think you know what you're talking about when it comes to movies is fairly ludicrous.  It's definitely fine to dislike it, but then you are talking about personal preferences and not quality.

• Like 1

The majority of people don't consume film as an artform in an academic sense though, which is honestly what film buffs like about the movie more than anything. I just think they're well within their rights to call it bad if it doesn't fulfil the need that they wanted it to. your whole argument essentially boils down to you getting butthurt over the pointless semantics of "bad" and "wasn't for me" which is what literally everyone means when they talk about movies being bad.

And to your point about writing and acting classes, I think they provide a basic general structure to work on and study (though some "rules" can be utter head scratchers, like Richard Walter's idea, which has been backed by others that it's a bad idea to write a scene in a restaurant.) but some people can get A grades in writing or acting school and kinda suck when they go out there professionally. it happens. They can apply their craft as perfectly as they want, but if you're not connecting with an audience member, they have every right to think you kinda suck at it. (and another point, I wouldn't say the style is the problem with Kane's acting, there are several films of the period with similar styles that I greatly enjoy, I just think THAT ensemble feels false)

I'm not even gonna get into the categories you've generalised people who don't like the movie into. yikes.

Overall, I think we just have completely different feelings on the thing. I think quality is decided by the individual and depends on preference, but you care to look at it in more academic terms, as most of Kane's champions do. that's fine, I guess. less interesting, but fine.

• Like 3

And ruk, I don't wanna rush you or anything but the video game countdown started a couple days after this one and it's into the top 5 already and this has yet to crack the top 80. Should I come back at christmas to find out what the number one is?

I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that this was apparently a race. It's not as if different people may like to take different paces when doing their lists is it? And saying 'I don't wanna rush you' doesn't suddenly make it okay when you spend the rest of the post blatantly trying to rush me!

Okay, now I've gotten my natural defensive bitterness at that statement out of the way, I will admit you have a point and that this list has been progressing a lot slower than I'd like . And I'm sorry about that. So I shall try and increase the number of entries to 3-5 a day. I won't pretend that'll definitely happen since I'm trying to juggle about 15 projects at the moment (including Uni stuff) and my laptop is steadily getting worse, but I'll try. And, in the end, isn't that all I can do? The answer is, of course, no. But I'm going to pretend it is.

Next few entries will be up in a mo.

• Like 1

80. Sunset Boulevard (1950) 16 points- 7 votes

"We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!"

sunset-boulevard-movie-poster-1950-10201

The story, set in '50s Hollywood, focuses on Norma Desmond, a silent-screen goddess whose pathetic belief in her own indestructibility has turned her into a demented recluse. The crumbling Sunset Boulevard mansion where she lives with only her butler, Max who was once her director and husband has become her self-contained world. Norma dreams of a comeback to pictures and she begins a relationship with Joe Gillis, a small-time writer who becomes her lover, that will soon end with murder and total madness.

Trivia: Upon seeing the film at a star-studded preview screening at Paramount, MGM studio head Louis B. Mayer screamed at director Billy Wilder that he should be tarred, feathered and horse-whipped for bringing his profession into such disrepute. Wilder's response was a terse, "Fuck you."

Ruk's Comments

"Yeah, not seen this one either."

• Like 12

79. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) 16 points- 7 votes

"Me? I've had so many names. Old names that only the wind and the trees can pronounce. I am the mountain, the forest and the earth. I am... I am a faun. Your most humble servant, Your Highness."

pans_labyrinth.jpg

In 1944 falangist Spain, a girl, fascinated with fairy-tales, is sent along with her pregnant mother to live with her new stepfather, a ruthless captain of the Spanish army. During the night, she meets a fairy who takes her to an old faun in the center of the labyrinth. He tells her she's a princess, but must prove her royalty by surviving three gruesome tasks. If she fails, she will never prove herself to be the the true princess and will never see her real father, the king, again.

Trivia: It has been said that, for the fairy eating scene, Doug Jones had to bite condoms filled with fake blood.

Ruk's Comments

"Okay, this one I’ve actually seen. And it and Pacific Rim sold me on Del Toro being one of my favourite directors ever. It so masterfully walks the line between gothic fairy tale and dark war drama and both sides compliment each other so well. I could go on and on about how masterfully Del Toro wove this tale together so well and how nearly every part of is perfectly done, but if I did, I’m not entirely sure when I’d be able to stop."

• Like 10

78. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) 16 points- 8 votes

"On your left."

Captain_America_The_Winter_Soldier_poste

For Steve Rogers, awakening after decades of suspended animation involves more than catching up on pop culture; it also means that this old school idealist must face a world of subtler threats and difficult moral complexities. That comes clear when Director Nick Fury is killed by the mysterious assassin, the Winter Soldier, but not before warning Rogers that SHIELD has been subverted by its enemies. When Rogers acts on Fury's warning to trust no one there, he is branded as a traitor by the organization. Now a fugitive, Captain America must get to the bottom of this deadly mystery with the help of the Black Widow and his new friend, The Falcon. However, the battle will be costly for the Sentinel of Liberty, with Rogers finding enemies where he least expects them while learning that the Winter Soldier looks disturbingly familiar.

Trivia: The Falcon's flight gear sports a Stark Industries logo.

Ruk's Comments

"I openly admit Captain America was one of my favourite Marvel phase 1 films (Avengers aside). It did such a great job of establishing Steve Rogers, a character who, in the hands of lesser writers, could so easily just become a flat goody-goody protagonist. And, going in, I was slightly worried about The Winter Solider. I wasn’t at all sold on the trailers and I was worried they were going to go the Man of Steel route of trying to make the movie ‘dark’ solely by toning down the colour scheme and adding some pseudo-philosophical gibberish that makes no sense if you think about it. So I was very pleasantly surprised when they delivered a film that was not only superior to the first film but honestly very probably my favourite of Marvel’s Phase 2 films and my 2nd favourite Marvel after the Avengers. (Even if it probably shouldn't be this high on the list)

Not only did it provide an interesting social commentary, but it subverted the typical Marvel trend of having weak villains who aren’t called Loki. Robert Redford really went far and beyond in his performance as Alexander Pierce and provided a villain who was affably evil and devilishly charismatic. In addition to excellent direction, fantastic performances from nearly everyone involved and a twist that genuinely threw me for a loop first time I watched it and, considering how Genre Savvy I tend to be, that’s very impressive. Not to mention, after numerous complaints that Marvel plays everything ‘too safe and typical’, the dissolution of SHIELD was a massive and welcome gamechanger. (And honestly, between that and Guardians, it’s hard to take people who call the films ‘too safe and typical’ seriously any more.) To sum up, it’s a superhero movie that goes beyond the norm. Quite frankly, it’s the sort of film Man of Steel should’ve been.

Also, I’m slowly becoming aware that I seem to have a habit, on this list, of writing small essays for superhero/blockbuster movies and only a few sentences for others. Ah well. It’s not like anyone reads them anyway."

• Like 11

77. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) 16 points- 8 votes

"Choose. But choose wisely."

crusade.jpg

Indiana Jones, famed adventurer and archaeologist acquires a diary that holds clues and a map with no names to find the mysterious Holy Grail- which was sent from his father, Dr. Henry Jones, in Italy. Upon hearing from a private collector, Walter Donavan, that the mission for the Holy Grail went astray with the disappearance of his father, Indiana Jones and museum curator Marcus Brody venture to Italy in search of Indy's father. However, upon retrieving Dr. Henry Jones in Nazi territory, the rescue mission turns into a race to find the Holy Grail before the Nazis do- who plan to use it for complete world domination for their super-race. With the diary as a vital key and the map with no names as a guide, Indiana Jones once again finds himself in another death defying adventure of pure excitement.

Trivia: For the scene at the Nazi rally in Berlin (where Indy confronts Elsa and steals back the diary), Steven Spielberg had all the extras who did the "Sieg Heil" arm salute also put their other arms behind their backs and cross their fingers.

Ruk's Comments

"The second best Indiana Jones (out of three), Last Crusade works so well thanks to the excellent chemistry between Connery and Ford and the fact that the Nazi’s were the villains again. Because the best Indiana Jones are always the ones with the Nazi’s as the villains. Add to the usual fantastic Indiana Jones action that not even Crystal Skull (er... whatever that is) lacked and the classic car/tank chase and just because this is the second best of the series doesn’t mean it’s not outstanding in its own right."

• Like 13

76. Silence of the Lambs (1991) 16 points- 13 votes

"Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard. I'd fuck me so hard." (Also my favourite pick-up line)

silence_of_the_lambs.jpg

Young FBI agent Clarice Starling is assigned to help find a missing woman to save her from a psychopathic serial killer who skins his victims. Clarice attempts to gain a better insight into the twisted mind of the killer by talking to another psychopath Hannibal Lecter, who used to be a respected psychiatrist. FBI agent Jack Crawford believes that Lecter, who is also a very powerful and clever mind manipulator, has the answers to their questions and can help locate the killer. However, Clarice must first gain Lecter's confidence before the inmate will give away any information.

Trivia: When Clarice visits Dr. Hannibal Lecter in his new facility, Lecter insists she continue telling him about her childhood as part of the agreement. Jodie Foster, reluctantly, continues her story about running away. Midway through her confessions, she mentions taking a lamb with her. If one listens closely after she says, "I thought if I could save just one..." a distant sound of something being dropped can be heard in the background. A crewman dropped a wrench during filming. Director Jonathan Demme panicked, thinking it would ruin the scene completely. However, Foster remained in character and continued the story, ultimately convincing Demme to keep the footage. After "Cut" was said, Foster turned her head to the crew and yelled, "What the Hell was that!"

Ruk's Comments

"Excellent film. Awful cookbook. Census Taker Liver just does not go with fava beans."

• Like 8

TWS was on my list - so of course I think it belongs. :P

There are others listed already that are no where near my top 1,000 and I'm sure there will be quite a few more but that's why one person doesn't make up the list.  I do wish that more people participated, then again the very nature and demographics of this forum is going to skew the list no matter how many participate.

• Like 1

I liked TWS quite a bit, Last Crusade didn't quite make my list but I love it.  And Silence of the Lambs is one of the best films ever.  But no way are these films better than Sunset Boulevard, nor will a majority of the films coming up on this list.

Edited by DAR