rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

Welcome one and all to 2014's Top 100 films of All Time'. Seeing as it's already driven one forumnite to madness and seems to be playing havoc with my laptop, it should be an interesting and/or demonically possessed one this year.

laptop1.jpg

(Note: If your computer screen starts bleeding, I've heard just a general restart tends to fix that right up. I'd keep paper towels on the side, just in case.)

Anyway, with basic safety measures out of the way, I'm sure there are many important questions you're just dying to hear answered. Will there be any surprise inclusions? Some surprise snubs? Will any of the obscure animations I supported sneak in? Will the usual suspects win? (by which I mean the usual winners, not the Bryan Singer film) Will I end up forgetting about this for several weeks? How big will Squaremaster's patented Nolan Boner end up being? And will I make it through the whole list sober? The answers to your questions are, in order, Yes, Yes, No, Probably, Almost certainly, you really don't want to know and Jokes on you, I'm already on my third can of Jager.

Striker_Eureka_Poster.jpg

(God, I wish that was the kind of Jager I meant)

Seriously though, I'm hoping there won't be any serious gaps in between entries, but things can happen. Admittedly, I can't really play the 'I have a life outside this list' card seeing as I volunteered to do this list (a decision that I horribly horribly regret) but there is a chance I will sometimes be too busy to post some entries on a particular day. Also, as I mentioned earlier, my laptop is being an absolute bitch. So just be patient.

facebook_like.jpg

(And understand that the most effective way to make sure I keep updating is to give me lots and lots of likes. *looks around shiftily*)

Also (yes I know, we'll get to the list eventually), with the scoring system Lisa used, we ended a lot of ties. And I mean a lot. (Seriously, only 15 films in the whole thing weren't tied with someone). So, rather than talk you through the 9 films that were tied for 83rd place or asking you to decide on a tiebreaker and spoil 85% of the list for you, I decided to go on a system of 'higher number of votes = higher placing'. Some of you may disagree with that and I'd completely understand why but fuck it, I don't have a better solution.

Alright, I think that's everything. For those of you still awake after all that, the list will begin in a few hours. Enjoy. Oh, and Hail to Belphegor, Dark Lord of Pestilence.

laptop1.jpg

(You brought this upon yourselves by leaving Wolf Children off the list.)

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 12

Also (yes I know, we'll get to the list eventually), with the scoring system Lisa used, we ended a lot of ties. And I mean a lot. (Seriously, only 15 films in the whole thing weren't tied with someone). So, rather than talk you through the 9 films that were tied for 83rd place or asking you to decide on a tiebreaker and spoil 85% of the list for you, I decided to go on a system of 'higher number of votes = higher placing'. Some of you may disagree with that and I'd completely understand why but fuck it, I don't have a better solution.

I agree with that system since it shows a broader appeal for the film. And if a film has the same number of votes you can then do an additional tiebreaker with things like (most #1 mentions, most Top 5 mentions, most Top 10 mentions, etc).

• Like 4

Apparently, invoking the name of Dark Lord Belphegor was not my brightest idea, since my laptop just crashed on me. And, no word of a lie, it did so while I was trying to post the Number 100 entry. (I'm currently typing this on my tablet.)

Hopefully, I should be able to get my laptop up and running and at least get the first entry up in the next half hour. If not, I'll definitely try and do it when I wake up tomorrow, even if I have to use my lousy-for-typing tablet.

• Like 1

Welp, my laptop's back online...

post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgu

100. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) 13 points- 7 votes

"Mutants, we now find ourselves on the edge of extinction."

x-men-days-of-future-past-character-post

The ultimate X-Men ensemble fights a war for the survival of the species across two time periods in X-Men: Days of Future Past. The characters from the original X-Men film trilogy join forces with their younger selves from X-Men: First Class in an epic battle that must change the past - to save our future.

Trivia: According to Bryan Singer, he had a two-hour discussion with James Cameron, director of the time-travel films The Terminator (1984) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991), about how to make the time-travel concept feasible and workable within the film. The concepts the two discussed included quantum physics, alternate universes, and string theory.

Ruk's Comments

"What I think impressed me the most about this film is just how balanced it felt when it came to characters. Unlike the first three X-Men films, which were just Wolverine & friends, each of the main characters gets their fair share of screentime and development and each of the minors gets just long enough to show off their powers in an awesome way (Quicksilver and Blink being prime examples there). Heck, it actually felt like a team movie.

Out of the main cast, I’d call Fassbender the standout, although all of them had some good moments. The man mixes charisma with intensity and you just can’t tell exactly what he’s going to do next be it good or bad. I'll admit, I do wish they'd utilised Dinklage a lot better, especially since there's so much you could do with his character. But I suppose it was a struggle enough giving each of the main heroes time to shine and develop that they didn't have time to get to him."

• Like 12

99. There will be Blood (2007) 13 points- 7 votes

All together now... "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!"

There-will-be-blood-poster.jpg

The film follows the rise to power of Daniel Plainview - a charismatic and ruthless oil prospector, driven to succeed by his intense hatred of others and desperate need to see any and all competitors fail. When he learns of oil-rich land in California that can be bought cheaply, he moves his operation there and begins manipulating and exploiting the local landowners into selling him their property. Using his young adopted son H.W. to project the image of a caring family man, Plainview gains the cooperation of almost all the locals with lofty promises to build schools and cultivate the land to make their community flourish. Over time, Plainview's gradual accumulation of wealth and power causes his true self to surface, and he begins to slowly alienate himself from everyone in his life.

Trivia: While on location in Marfa, Texas, No Country for Old Men (2007) was the neighboring film production. One day, Paul Thomas Anderson and his crew tested the pyrotechnical effects of the oil derrick fire, causing an enormous billowing of smoke, intruding the shot that Joel Coen and Ethan Coen were shooting. This caused them to delay filming until the next day when the smoke dissipated. Both this film and No Country for Old Men(2007) would eventually become the leading contenders at the Academy Awards a year and a half later.

Ruk's Comments

"Hilariously out-of-context-taken lines aside, There Will Be Blood really is a modern masterpiece. It almost reminds me of one of the classic Westerns with the way it's so beautifully shot and how it slowly builds up the tension scene through scene. And I really don't think anything needs to be said about Daniel Day-Lewis's powerhouse performance here. It's little wonder he's considered one of our greatest living actors." 

• Like 18

Okay, this'll be the last one for today.

98. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) 13 points- 8 votes

"He was their friend, and he betrayed them. He was their friend! I hope he finds me! Cause when he does, I'm gonna be ready. When he does, I'm gonna kill him!"

Harry_Potter_and_the_Prisoner_of_Azkaban

Harry's life is in mortal danger yet again, this time more than ever. First, a killer named Sirus Black has escaped from Azkaban Prison, and it seems that he broke out just to finish what his master wanted to do 13 years ago: kill Harry Potter!. Also, for Harry's protection, Azkaban has sent hundreds of Dementors to guard Hogwarts in an attempt to catch Black. But will they turn out to be a great help or a big mistake?

Trivia: In order to acquaint himself with his three lead actors, director Alfonso Cuarón had each of them write an essay about their characters, from a first-person point of view. Emma Watson, in true Hermione fashion, went a little overboard and wrote a 16-page essay.Daniel Radcliffe wrote a simple one-page summary, and Rupert Grint never even turned his in.

Ruk's Comments

"I’ll admit it took me a few rewatches to full appreciate this film but, after doing so, I now consider it one of, if not the best of the Potter franchise. Cuaron’s much darker vision contrasts strongly with Columbus’s more whimsical fare and, considering PoA was where the books started to get darker it’s very much needed. Particular praise goes to the Dementors who were an interesting feature in the books but Cuaron turned into one of the film’s defining features."

• Like 15

DOFP is a really good movie, but not top 100 good. I hope this list doesn't lean towards recent movie to much.

Days of Future Past isn't top 100 of all time, if this list hadn't been made so close to its release (Back in early June at first I think) then it wouldn't have made the cut I believe.

Yeah, I'll admit DOFP making the cut was a pretty big surprise for me and, despite very much enjoying the film, I'm not too sure it was deserved.

It doesn't help that it beat the absolute classic 'The Big Lebowski' by one vote. (Seriously, I was very tempted to bend the rules just to swap those two around.) 

• Like 5

97. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) 14 points- 5 votes

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."

once_upon_a_time_in_the_west_xlg.jpg

A mysterious stranger with a harmonica joins forces with a notorious desperado to protect a beautiful widow from a ruthless assassin working for the railroad in this long frontier epic. Mysterious pasts and the strength of loyalties is explored amid lightning fast gun battles and stylish vistas.

Trivia: The original script called for Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach (in their roles from The Man With No Name trilogy) to be the trio gunned down at the train station. Eastwood, whose star was rising in Hollywood, did not want to be seen as a villain and objected. When he did, Wallach backed out as well. Leone had to pull Jack Elam and Strode from later in the script. Though they got paid handsomely, they lost almost 30 minutes of screen time. In the original script, they would have killed Harmonica to fulfill Jason Robards' prediction that those who live by the sword die by it as well. With Elam and Strode changed, Harmonica was allowed to survive.

Ruk's Comments

"I admit I’m more of a fan of the Spaghetti Trilogy than this film, but that’s like saying you prefer ice cream to chocolate. They’re both absolutely fantastic and probably terrible for your health. There’s a reason Sergio Leone is the Spaghetti Western director." 

• Like 12

96. Good Will Hunting (1997) 14 points- 6 votes

"Son of a bitch... He stole my line."

7iRrW4NMuvsSXiznH7ZLdNTHQC3.jpg

A touching tale of a wayward young man who struggles to find his identity, living in a world where he can solve any problem, except the one brewing deep within himself, until one day he meets his soul mate who opens his mind and his heart.

Trivia: After the death of Robin Williams, the Boston Public Garden park bench where he and Matt Damon had their conversation scene, became an impromptu memorial site for the actor with people leaving flowers, quotes and various items at the bench. A petition has been passed around to erect a statue in Williams' memory near the bench.

Ruk's Comments.... are unavailable since I've not actually seen this one

• Like 12