rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

95. Airplane! (1980) 14 points- 7 votes

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

airplane_xlg.jpg

Still craving for the love of his life, Ted Striker follows Elaine onto the flight that she is working on as a member of the cabin crew. Elaine doesn't want to be with Ted anymore, but when the crew and passengers fall ill from food poisoning, all eyes are on Ted.

Trivia: For the argument between announcers concerning the white and red zones at the airport, the producers hired the same voice artists who had made the real-world announcements at Los Angeles International Airport. At the real airport, the white zone is for loading and unloading of passengers only, and there's no stopping in the red zone (except for transit buses). They were also married to each other in real life.

Ruk's Comments

"Only 95th?! Surely you can’t be serious? Alright, now I’ve given you all the lead-in to the obvious joke, let’s talk about the film. And it’s one of my favourite comedies for a very good reason. It fires so many jokes at you and so many of them hit the mark. Even considering how rotten the parody genre has gotten thanks to Seltzer and Friedberg, I really don’t think we’ll see a film that does what this does so well again."

• Like 12

I think Air Plane made the list this year because of the whole ethan thing. 

I'm assuming your kidding.  There aren't a lot of movies that can at least arguably lay claim to being the single best movie in their genre, but Airplane! is one of those movies.  Jeez, I did vote for Blazing Saddles, didn't I?  I better check.

94. Children of Men (2006) 14 points- 7 votes

"As the sound of the playgrounds faded, the despair set in. Very odd, what happens in a world without children's voices."

children_of_men_ver3_xlg.jpg

The world's youngest citizen has just died at 18, and humankind is facing the likelihood of its own extinction. Set in and around a dystopian London fractious with violence and warring nationalistic sects, Children of Men follows the unexpected discovery of a lone pregnant woman and the desperate journey to deliver her to safety and restore faith for a future beyond those presently on Earth.

Trivia: Almost every shot contains an animal, usually a dog.

Ruk's Comments

"Like Prisoner of Azkaban, this film took several viewings for me to really appreciate. Cuaron’s direction is frankly outstanding here and the film works as both an action thriller and an apocalyptic drama with some very strong performances from Clive Owen and Michael Caine, the former of whom really holds the film together." 

• Like 17

93. Reservoir Dogs (1992) 14 points- 8 votes

"Let me tell you what 'Like a Virgin' is about. It's all about a girl who digs a guy with a big dick. The entire song. It's a metaphor for big dicks."

reservoir-dogs.jpg

They were six strangers, assembled to pull off the perfect crime: Mr. White, a professional criminal; Mr. Orange, a young newcomer; Mr. Blonde, a trigger-happy killer; Mr. Pink, a paranoid neurotic; Mr. Brown; and Mr. Blue. Hired by mob boss Joe Cabot and given fake names so no one could identify the others, they thought there was no way their heist could have failed. But after a police ambush, killing Mr. Brown and seriously injuring Mr. Orange, the criminals return to their rendezvous point (a warehouse), and realize that one of them had to have been a police informant. But who?

Trivia: According to an interview on the DVD, Michael Madsen says that Kirk Baltz asked to ride in his trunk to experience what it was really like. Madsen agreed, but decided as he went along that this was time for his own character development. So he drove down a long alley with potholes, and then a Taco Bell drive-through before taking Baltz back to the parking lot and letting him out. The soda he ordered at said drive-through is the same one he can be seen drinking during his character's first appearance in the warehouse.

Ruk's Comments

"It feels appropriate that Tarantino’s first ever film should also be his first entry on this list. And just from watching it, it’s very clear how Tarantino became such an admired director and writer. It’s a simple premise, a robbery gone wrong, but Tarantino’s writing and the acting talent on display elevate what could’ve been some very basic characters into intriguing personalities. Also, like Clockwork Orange did with ‘Singin in the Rain’, it’s now remarkably difficult to listen to ‘Stuck in the Middle with you’ without shuddering inside."

• Like 15

Its funny how much opinions change even day to day.  I just looked back over my list and while I'm generally happy with it (and I put quite a bit of time into it), I found myself second-guessing it more than I expected.

• Like 1

92. Iron Man (2008) 14 points- 9 votes

"Iron Man. That's kind of catchy. It's got a nice ring to it. I mean it's not technically accurate. The suit's a gold titanium alloy, but it's kind of provocative, the imagery anyway."

final-ironman-poster2-big.jpg

Tony Stark. Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. Son of legendary inventor and weapons contractor Howard Stark. When Tony Stark is assigned to give a weapons presentation to an Iraqi unit led by Lt. Col. James Rhodes, he's given a ride on enemy lines. That ride ends badly when Stark's Humvee that he's riding in is attacked by enemy combatants. He survives - barely - with a chest full of shrapnel and a car battery attached to his heart. In order to survive he comes up with a way to miniaturize the battery and figures out that the battery can power something else. Thus Iron Man is born. He uses the primitive device to escape from the cave in Iraq. Once back home, he then begins work on perfecting the Iron Man suit. But the man who was put in charge of Stark Industries has plans of his own to take over Tony's technology for other matters.

Trivia: Tony Stark's computer system is called JARVIS (standing for "Just A Rather Very Intelligent System"). This is a tribute to Edwin Jarvis, Tony Stark's butler. He was changed to an artificial intelligence to avoid comparisons to Batman/Bruce Wayne's butler Alfred Pennyworth.

Ruk's Comments

"Considering the box office breakouts of CA:TWS and GOTG, it feels appropriate for us to have the movie that started the MCU universe off. Now, while I’m well known to be a big Marvel fanboy, it may surprise you to know I think this film is a bit overrated. Key word being a bit. I just felt the climax was a bit of a letdown, that’s all. But I can completely understand why people love this so much because near everything else is fantastic. And RDJ joins that exclusive club of people who own their role to near iconic levels. He owns Tony Stark more than any other actor/character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. (Although I’d argue Hiddlestone/Loki and SLJ/Fury come close.) Not bad for a man who was considered down and out several years previous."

• Like 12

91. Magnolia (1999) 15 points- 5 votes

"The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.""

Magnolia+poster.jpg

An epic mosaic of interrelated characters in search of love, forgiveness, and meaning in the San Fernando Valley.

Trivia: Paul Thomas Anderson wrote the bulk of the script during two weeks he spent at William H. Macy's Vermont cabin - afraid to go outside because he'd seen a snake.

Ruk's Comments

"A magnolia is a type of flower. And really, isn't that all that needs to be said about this movie?

(Okay, I've not actually seen this one either)"

• Like 8