rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

Cuckoo's Nest needs to be higher.

Oz is a good movie but I never felt it's an all time classic.

Prestige is very good but not top 100.

As for IAWL? If you can't say something nice.....

I know it's probably a generational thing, but we watched this in english class 3 years ago. Man, was is boring! And so damn long!

• Like 1

I know it's probably a generational thing, but we watched this in english class 3 years ago. Man, was is boring! And so damn long!

I feel similarly about To Kill a Mockingbird ( OK it wasn't that long but it was boring)

The book twas so much better.

Its a top 100 list. Every single year 75% of the movies will be complained about.

Its not a top 100 movies all time list for the world. Just for the forums. TDKR deserves to be on that list. Not the all time world list, but its definitely a top 100 movie on this forum.

well, obviously it's a top 100 film on this forum, because it's on this forum's top 100 list. ha.

51. Batman Begins (2005) 23 points- 10 votes

"When a forest grows too wild, a purging fire is inevitable and natural."

Batman-Begins.jpg

When his parents were killed, millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne relocates to Asia when he is mentored by Henri Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul in how to fight evil. When learning about the plan to wipe out evil in Gotham City by Ducard, Bruce prevents this plan from getting any further and heads back to his home. Back in his original surroundings, Bruce adopts the image of a bat to strike fear into the criminals and the corrupt as the icon known as 'Batman'. But it doesn't stay quiet for long.

Trivia: While shooting on the streets of Chicago, a person accidentally crashed into the Batmobile. The driver was apparently drunk, and said he hit the car in a state of panic, believing the Dark Knight's vehicle to be an invading alien spacecraft.

Ruk's Comments

"Okay, I will admit, as overrated as I find Nolan, I really do like this film (even if I would've placed it much lower on the list). An excellent reboot that manages to both ground Batman while exploring what makes him such an interesting superhero."

• Like 13

50. Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) 23 points- 12 votes

"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid."

pirates_of_the_caribbean.jpg

This swash-buckling tale follows the quest of Captain Jack Sparrow, a savvy pirate, and Will Turner, a resourceful blacksmith, as they search for Elizabeth Swann. Elizabeth, the daughter of the governor and the love of Will's life, has been kidnapped by the feared Captain Barbossa. Little do they know, but the fierce and clever Barbossa has been cursed. He, along with his large crew, are under an ancient curse, doomed for eternity to neither live, nor die. That is, unless a blood sacrifice is made.

Trivia: According to the DVD commentaries, Geoffrey Rush has a theory that people watch the screen from left to right, just like when they read a book. Therefore, he tried to be in the left side of the screen as often as possible. He was particularly intent on doing this in the scenes with the monkey and Keira Knightley because he didn't think anyone would look at him otherwise.

Ruk's Comments

"A classic I don't think anyone saw coming, POTC looked like just another generic summer blockbuster but with a great story, some tight directing and Johnny Depp going completely off the wall as Jack Sparrow, it became something so much more."

• Like 13

49. Saving Private Ryan (1998) 24 point- 14 votes

"Picture a girl who took a nosedive from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down."

saving_private_ryan_ver2.jpg

Opening with the Allied invasion of Normandy on 6 June 1944, members of the 2nd Ranger Battalion under Cpt. Miller fight ashore to secure a beachhead. Amidst the fighting, two brothers are killed in action. Earlier in New Guinea, a third brother is KIA. Their mother, Mrs. Ryan, is to receive all three of the grave telegrams on the same day. The United States Army Chief of Staff, George C. Marshall, is given an opportunity to alleviate some of her grief when he learns of a fourth brother, Private James Ryan, and decides to send out 8 men (Cpt. Miller and select members from 2nd Rangers) to find him and bring him back home to his mother...

Trivia: Steven Spielberg cast Matt Damon as Ryan because he wanted an unknown actor with an All-American look. He didn't know Damon would win an Oscar for Good Will Hunting(1997) and become an overnight star before the film was released.

Ruk's Comments

"Pretty much the definitive modern WWII action film. The Normandy sequence in particular stands out as Spielberg doesn't shy away from the brutal details, much like with Schindler's List."

• Like 12

48. Groundhog Day (1993) 25 points- 7 votes

"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."

groundhog_day.jpg

A weather man is reluctantly sent to cover a story about a weather forecasting "rat" (as he calls it). This is his fourth year on the story, and he makes no effort to hide his frustration. On awaking the 'following' day he discovers that it's Groundhog Day again, and again, and again. First he uses this to his advantage, then comes the realisation that he is doomed to spend the rest of eternity in the same place, seeing the same people do the same thing EVERY day.

Trivia: Bill Murray was bitten by the groundhog twice during shooting. Murray had to have anti rabies injections because the bites were so severe.

Ruk's Comments

"Embarrassingly, I've not seen this one yet. I did see Edge of Tomorrow and Lost in Translation on the same day once though. Surely that counts?"

• Like 9

47. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) 25 points- 8 votes

"With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me, it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable."

lawrence_of_arabia_ver3_xxlg.jpg

An inordinately complex man who has been labeled everything from hero, to charlatan, to sadist, Thomas Edward Lawrence blazed his way to glory in the Arabian desert, then sought anonymity as a common soldier under an assumed name. The story opens with the death of Lawrence in a motorcycle accident in Dorset at the age of 46, then flashbacks to recount his adventures: as a young intelligence officer in Cairo in 1916, he is given leave to investigate the progress of the Arab revolt against the Turks in World War I. In the desert, he organizes a guerrilla army and--for two years--leads the Arabs in harassing the Turks with desert raids, train-wrecking and camel attacks. Eventually, he leads his army northward and helps a British General destroy the power of the Ottoman Empire.

Trivia: Steven Spielberg estimated that to make the film today would cost in the region of $285 million.

Ruk's Comments

"Best known on this forum for being the signature of everyone's favourite like-whore, I can't really comment too much on this film since I've only seen half of it. Not because I disliked the first half, goodness no. But I lost the DVD with the second half on it....

But I'll give the first half this. It's a very good half of a film. I'd call it one of my favourite halves of a film. Other halves of films wish they were as strong as this half of a film."

• Like 13

There are like two different lists, 

On one hand we get deserving movies like SPR and Lawrence, on the other hand we get a lot of post-2000 blockbusters like POTC and Batman Begins that are only this high because they're on the public's recent memory.

I like both Batman Begins and POTC, they are both likely within an updated Top 250 of mine, but top 50 is way to high for them.

• Like 4