Gone Girl (2014)

99 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Yeah, I think she was the one who bought the book rights because she was planning on playing amy at one point? idk how right that is. can't remember the specifics.

Yeah, that was the idea, but...

Witherspoon is a producer on the film and obtained rights to the book in order to play the role of Amy (the part that now belongs to Pike). But director David Fincher had other ideas. “I think it would be awkward to have somebody who is starring in a movie and producing it,” he told EW. The Oscar-winning actress complied, saying, “He told me a vision for what the characters were, and it was very clear that I was not right for his vision.”

FIncher didn't want her and Reese didn't put up a fight about it and find another director who would've gone along with it being a star vehicle.

I hadn't read the book but figured out the twist had to be ahead of time which didn't have an impact on my enjoyment of the movie (which had more humor than I'd expected). Amy's story seems like it would have a thousand holes in it, especially the Desi part, and how was she allowed to go to leave the hospital coated in blood?

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

Oh man, that was a fucked up movie.  Pike & Affleck were great, and I also loved what Tyler Perry brought to the film, and I've NEVER been much into that dude in anything.

It definitely has that American Psycho quality where you just have to take it as a satire because too much shit makes no sense.

9.5/10

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Ben Affleck deserves an Academy Award for his role in Gone Girl. I legit think this is his best performance of all time.

Anyways, the movie was fantastic from beginning to end-a spellbinding story that showed a very disturbed marriage. David Fincher is amazing: he brings style and a vision to the table that helps this movie transcend itself from a great psychological thriller to one that captivates you from one shot to the next shot.

A

• Like 6

I have been eagerly anticipating this movie since reading the book late last year, especially knowing David Fincher would be directing and author Gillian Flynn would be writing the script, and it completely lives up to expectations. Like the book, Gone Girl the film is both an intricate deconstruction of marriage and also effectively satirizes the media's almost grotesque obsession with missing people/murder trials. Ben Affleck gives what is easily his best performance yet, but the movie belongs to Rosamund Pike. Amy Dunne is already a very fascinating, complex character on the page, and Pike brings her to life with a mesmerizing performance that holds on to the viewer throughout. I've liked her since I first saw her (Die Another Day), and her sensational work here should lead to bigger things. There isn't a single beat missed among the supporting cast either, with Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry (yes, he's quite great in this), Carrie Coon, Kim Dickens, and Patrick Fugit all delivering superb work. As is usually the case with Fincher, the film is visually striking, while Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross deliver another memorable score. An excellent adaptation that I look forward to seeing again that also makes me want to read the book again. A

• Like 3

Ben Affleck deserves an Academy Award for his role in Gone Girl. I legit think this is his best performance of all time.

Anyways, the movie was fantastic from beginning to end-a spellbinding story that showed a very disturbed marriage. David Fincher is amazing: he brings style and a vision to the table that helps this movie transcend itself from a great psychological thriller to one that captivates you from one shot to the next shot.

A

But Pike, babe.

What a GODDESS.

• Like 1

Man, what a great movie. Dark, cynical, savage, and funny. Great job by the cast, with special kudos to Affleck and Pike, fantastic script (and story) by Gillian Flynn, and wonderfully directed by Fincher. Speaking of which, GG wraps up Fincher's brilliant trilogy of the darkness lurking under the surface of Americana: FIGHT CLUB, SOCIAL NETWORK, and now GG.

First rate on all levels.  A

• Like 6

I thought it was a nice touch (intentional or unintentional) to have Sela Ward play the woman who interviewed Affleck about the disappearance of his wife, at the point in the movie where everyone thought it was him.  She of course was the murdered wife in the Fugitive, and everyone thought her husband did it too.   ;)

• Like 6

What a hilariously fucked up movie. Pike is the ultimate on screen bitch and needs awards. I liked Affleck but I don't feel his performance was special.

Best Scenes:

*Pike dipping her clothes in the red wine and rubbing it between her legs then crawling to the camera screaming as if she was raped.

*Pike throat slice then calmly getting up and walking off.

*Montage explaining her plan and how she executed it.

*Anytime they watched that cable news TV show....it was so close to the truth it was scary.

8/10

Only thing I will complain about was its length. It feels like it could have been 10 minutes shorter.

• Like 1

I loved it. Impeccable direction, and Affleck was great. Pike was okay...

But then the twist happened.

And the movie turned from good to great. Pike was freaking astounding, but Affleck and Harris both had really great performances. Perry was fun comic relief. The movie was tense and wow. It reminded me of House of Cards in the best ways. Fincher has done it again. A+

• Like 3

I feel like there's symbolism there too. She's trying to wash away her crimes on Nick by telling him why they should stay together and whatever as she washes Desi's blood off herself.  or something? idk. I was fine with it.

That... actually makes sense.