grim22

Baywatch | May 26 2017 | Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron, Alexandra Daddario, Priyanka Chopra | First Trailer on Page 13

So now we are in "The CRITICS ARE ALL EVIL" mode.

I say thank Heaven for the Critics. At least they are standing up for intelligence and good taste in movies...two things the typical fanboy does not care about.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I say thank Heaven for the Critics. At least they are standing up for intelligence and good taste in movies...two things the typical fanboy does not care about.

I'm not in that mode all of a sudden.  I've been in that mode for 30 years.

And I'm not a Baywatch fanboy.  Never saw one episode of it.  I am a fan of good comedy especially when it's funny.  Baywatch is very funny, hence I liked it.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Did you actually see the movie? 

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Ehhh I hate the "Critics are evil and stuck up!" rhetoric (Which there's been a huge wave of in recent years, I want to know why), but there's no shame in liking something they didn't. 

It arguably it should be less and less something people say imo, critics are a small part of the total reviews made about a big release movie now, lot of them are from reviewer/junketeer than actual critic, they are casual movie fan that built up an audience, that have no problem to say that they loved those fast and furious, Jurassic world, Kingsman type of over the top non sense fun like audience did and are usually not ashamed to say so when they do, and the other way around when they didn't like stuff like The Neon Demon or Silence.

Rotten tomatoes score:

multiple Oscar nomination Scorsese comedy Wolf of Wall street: 77%

Hangover: 79%

Palme d'or winner Tree of Life: 84%

Melissa McCarthy comedy Spy: 94%

Has for the no shame in liking something they didn't, it must be rare for any adult to have any of that (and certainly not when you are not a public figure, and does not apply to anonymous people online)

• Like 1

Nowadays, you will find out that critics and audiences will score many movies very differently, specially for the ones trashed by critics. For these, only fanboys will go to cinema for them and they are very biased ones (understandable, everyone is biased towards something). For me, a casual moviegoer, it is risky to go to cinema for movies with bad reviews and I have better places to spend my money and time on or rather check them out later on the neflix or in the libraries.

• Like 1

Man, Idk if I was in a bad mood (usually these type of comedies I like), but a lot of the jokes fell so flat for me.  Im being pretty generous here, movie was entertaining at some parts and Rock/efron do a decent job, daddario and the new CJ are nice to look at, but I was struggling to get through it- too long.  Really thought at worst I'd shrug and be like hey it was a fun movie with some funny parts, but it was kind of brutal.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, holcs said:

Man, Idk if I was in a bad mood (usually these type of comedies I like), but a lot of the jokes fell so flat for me.  Im being pretty generous here, movie was entertaining at some parts and Rock/efron do a decent job, daddario and the new CJ are nice to look at, but I was struggling to get through it- too long.  Really thought at worst I'd shrug and be like hey it was a fun movie with some funny parts, but it was kind of brutal.  

Comidies are all about the ratio of jokes that work to those that fall flat. From all I have read, "Baywatch" has a bad ratio of jokes that work to jokes that don't.

Maybe the studio whould have made it an action movie, like the TV series.

Edited by dudalb

On 5/28/2017 at 4:20 AM, dudalb said:

At least they are standing up for intelligence and good taste in movies...

Critics are biased, just like everyone else. Every now and again their bias or preference lines up with yours, or mine, and we're able to hate on things together. But no they don't "stand up" for anything, other than the kinds of movies they personally enjoy. Which is fine, but it's not objectively better than what anyone else enjoys.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

Critics are biased, just like everyone else. Every now and again their bias or preference lines up with yours, or mine, and we're able to hate on things together. But no they don't "stand up" for anything, other than the kinds of movies they personally enjoy. Which is fine, but it's not objectively better than what anyone else enjoys.

You make it sound like a lot of people genuinely enjoyed Baywatch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

@CJohn will be thrilled to hear that his queen Priyanka is the best thing about this. Unfortunately, she's barely in it despite playing the villain.

One more reason to not go see it when it opens here on July 20.

On 5/27/2017 at 0:20 PM, dudalb said:

I take it you're a critic?