grim22

Baywatch | May 26 2017 | Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron, Alexandra Daddario, Priyanka Chopra | First Trailer on Page 13

50 minutes ago, Robertman2 & Knuckles said:

Because companies get  a lot more money from American box office than they overseas

Depend of the market, a companies like Sony get around 47 to 49% in South korea or Japan, versus around 53% in the US, Disney big movie were getting 47.7% from Germany box office, not that big of a difference now that they don,t get a large share of the domestic box office first weeks, but flat rental fee.

One large difference is the after theatrical windows/toys market that is bigger for them in the US too, maybe it changed but in the recent past the value of domestic box office was around 1.3 time the value of the intl box office in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But in this case, as a comedy, it is unlikely to make a lot more abroad.

This has more chance than most comedy to do so, you can make an action heavy trailer, you have star with international appeal with Johnson (and possibly Priyanka Chopra I do not know how much she is really big in Asia), and the franchise awareness on what was often said to be the biggest scripted tv show on earth, that show was number one on many market.

Many of those R-rated comedy have domestic only star and not much intl appeal, Baywatch is a bit different and if things goes well should even do more intl than domestic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

I genuinely laughed at the "You people?!" "No, you don't get to say that." joke, but that wasn't worth paying a 9$ ticket price for.

That was in the trailer though.

Didnt get a laugh here cause we don't use the phrase "Tan" in the UK.

It's "you're tanned" 

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

This thread demonstrates there will be apologists for literally anything if it's criticized hard enough.

ETA: the marketing budget for this must have been insane. Promos everywhere in Europe.

I found that out a long time ago. Every film no matter how many people hate it, how universarily ridiculed it is, has it's supporters.

And I HATE Contrarians...the people who will take the unpopular opinions just because they think it makes them seem daring and unconventional. I can respect a genuine dissenting opinion, but A lot of what I see on the Internet seems really forced and phony.

And I have no doubt the marketing budget for Baywatch probably cost more then the film itself,given the films modest..by today's stadnards..60 Million bucks.

And I understand the Rock trying to promote this film, but this acting like it was a huge success,when best case scenario is it will make a modest profit, is getting silly.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Final predicts:

DOM: 61M

WW: 102M

Which,with a 60 Million production budget (which does not include marketing, which might well have cost more then the film itself) that means the film will lose money, given the rule of thumb that a studio only gets roughly half the box office take. Ouch. Paramount will not lose much on this movie, but since they were expecting a big hit and a franchise, it has got to hurt.

Paramount was outspoken that Baywatch was hurt by a terrible Rotten Tomatoes score. How do you combat review aggregators when bad buzz travels so fast?

What's interesting is that there's often a great disparity between the critical reaction and what the audience reaction is. And there's very little attention paid to what the audience thought. The audience enjoyed Baywatch because it was exactly what they were expecting — a fun summer movie that was never intended to win the Academy Award.

Would you consider not screening popcorn movies for critics?

That tends to create a backlash. Everybody wants to know what critics thought of the movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/paramounts-jim-gianopulos-starting-his-fox-exit-reviving-a-struggling-studio-1015023?utm_source=twitter

Edited by That One Guy

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Why is this excuse always being peddled when the movie bombs? If audience reaction was positive, you'd think the box office would reflect that.

25 minutes ago, cookie said:

Why is this excuse always being peddled when the movie bombs? If audience reaction was positive, you'd think the box office would reflect that.

Does the movie with those excuse have worst legs than the average success too ?

Baywatch tripled is first weekend already with those reviews for that example (maybe that 3day weekend number is diluted too, because of the 4 days weekend opening), at what multiplier would we start saying it played ok with audience and the issue was a too small opening weekend ?

On 5/28/2017 at 4:37 PM, Krissykins said:

@Jay Beezy

You ok? 

On 5/28/2017 at 4:52 PM, filmlover said:

Alexandra Daddario is mostly clothed even in the beach scenes in this. Way to understand what made the show so popular in the first place, movie.

I actually started a new job that's been taking up a lot of my time and energy at the moment. I understand the timing is oddly convenient and I'm unloading my thoughts all at once about everything right now. :lol:

But yeah. The movie almost seems to go out of its way to undermine her. It felt like her role was reduced, along with the other female lifeguards, because the filmmakers thought Priyanka Chopra as a villain in a Baywatch movie was more noteworthy than the female lifeguards, thus expanding her role at the expense of roles that *needed* more time and development. It says a lot about this movie's priorities when the person playing the villain is the first one billed after the two main leads. For all the hype people wanted to put into Priyanka playing the villain, it was honestly a mistake to cast her in that part. No one is worth that much time and attention for a villain role in a Baywatch movie.

As much as I'm griping about Daddario, though, it's obvious Ilfenesh Hadera suffers the worst. She complained in an interview about how a scene of hers was cut from the movie that actually showed a side of her personality. I also remember a scene with Daddario in the trailer that wasn't in the movie. It's clearly not worth it to get this on home video just to see the scenes of hers that were cut out.

Kelly Rohrbach is honestly the best actress I've seen to come out of all the blonde swimsuit models who've attempted the transition to acting, but she felt undermined as well.

That buddy comedy Daddario's got with Kate Upton will probably be bad, but at least it'll do more with her than this movie did.

Edited by Jay Beezy