grim22

Weekend Estimates: Annabelle - 37.2M | Gone Girl - 38M | Equalizer - 19M | Maze Runner - 12M | Left Behind - 6.8M

Good start for both movies.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-annabelle-beats-gone-737872

Fueled by younger moviegoers, the horror spinoff takes in $2.1 million, while David Fincher's adult drama earns $1.3 million.

David Fincher's film adaptation of Gone Girl, the high-profile thriller starring Ben Affleck andRosamund Pike, and horror spinoff Annabelle both impressed as they began rolling out in theaters Thursday night, providing a much-needed boost for the North American box office following the worst September in six years.

New Line and Warner Bros.' Annabelle, fueled by younger moviegoers, took in a hearty $2.1 million. The $6.5 million film is a prequel to box-office hit The Conjuring, which grossed $3.4 million Thursday night on its way to a sizeable $41.9 million debut in July 2013 (a side character was a haunted doll named Annabelle).

Gone Girl, based on Gillian Flynn's popular novel, grossed $1.3 million, a pleasing number for an adult drama. Last year, Gravityearned $1.4 million on its first Thursday night on its way to a record $55.7 million debut, while Captain Phillips took in $600,000 on its way a $27.5 million weekend (Gone Girl is far less mainstream than Gravity).

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

Equalizer did 1.45m on Thursday, I could see Gone Girl pulling a similar weekend figure (which would be splendid).

Gravity and Noah also had fairly similar amounts. I'm not sure where it'll end up landing, to be honest. However, I do recall that at a lot of theaters, it started at 10.

Either way, very strong numbers for both movies. Now give us Left Behind!

Gravity and Noah also had fairly similar amounts. I'm not sure where it'll end up landing, to be honest. However, I do recall that at a lot of theaters, it started at 10.

20 million plus for Left Behind

• Like 1

Conjuring's multiplier gives Annabelle $25.9m.

But Annabelle will be more frontloaded as it's a spin-off so.... $23m?

I was expecting $30m+.

Ignore me, Insidious Chapter 2 got $1.5m late nights on Thursday.

Annabelle could go anywhere.

The Left Behind number is so high, they are still calculating it. Expect at least 45M midnights.  :P

• Like 3

I was expecting $30m+.

Its still too damn early. I'm on the east coast and its only been noon for 10 minutes. We've seen time and time before we cant just base off midnights. Let's wait for Friday numbers, $30M could still be in play.

• Like 2

I was expecting $30m+.

That's because Conjuring was released in the summer, where midnight numbers are a bigger part of the weekend gross.

• Like 3

That's because Conjuring was released in the summer, where midnight numbers are a bigger part of the weekend gross.

Yeah, I was astonished at how front-loaded Conjuring was.  Not so much OW as its actual opening day.  It went *down* 18% from Friday to Saturday.  Was pretty amazing.