kitik

Deepwater Horizon | 9/30/16 | New Trailer on Page 2 | IMAX confirmed | Budget: 156M

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

The first half of this movie with the slow build of procedural tension is the stuff I live for in these kinds of movies.

Agreed, definitely the best aspect of the film outside of the disaster itself

BTW, I totally was wrong; watching the film, you can definitely see the budget. Technical marvel

• Like 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-analysis-can-deepwater-horizon-be-rescued-934561

"Deepwater Horizon is a hard sell. This should have been a $60 million film. The budget was out of control," says box-office analyst Jeff Bock. "It was always going to be tough to get audiences interested in one of the largest ecological disasters in U.S. history."

Sources close to Lionsgate counter Wahlberg was front-and-center from the beginning, and that the independent studio spent more than it usually does on marketing — roughly more than $40 million. They also note that Deepwater Horizon led all other movies in terms of ad spending in the two weeks leading up to its release. Lionsgate inherited the project, co-starring Kate Hudson, Kurt Russell, John Malkovich, Gina Rodriguez and Dylan O'Brien, when it acquired Summit Entertainment.

• Like 1

I think Lions Gate should embrace making what I read is a good mvoie for bad money.

I respect that.  Don't back down.  I respect that gusto.

Even though it's super obvious this was a money loser.  Wear it with pride Lions Gate.  This ain't no Gods of Eygpt.

Though in a sane financial suit business move world...yes, no more than 60.  Wear that disdain for economic sense with pride.  I actually admire it.  You're all rich, fuck it.

Edited by kowhite

3 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

The movie was good but pretty cliche dialogue and story at the beginning with the family and the slow burn leading up to the actual disaster, but it's a true story so it gets a pass.

Oh man, I dislike movies like that. They overexpose the family man angle. I get that they want to give the film substance but get on to the action already!