Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

When is the last time an adult drama made 150 million?

This is the kind of film that is ignored by the teen audience and without them, you aren't making 150 million.

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

This is the kind of film that is ignored by the teen audience and without them, you aren't making 150 million.

Direct text message from my friend:

"Just saw an ad for this movie called La La Land, when does it come out cause it looks so fucking good"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

American Sniper made $350M. American Hustle made $150M. As well as The Revenant from earlier this year like someone already said. Thanks for playing.

• Like 3

btw it seems to be doing very well in South Korea. Musical isn't a particularly popular genre here but if it breaks out it breaks out yuuge (Les Mis did $40M here..! Mamma Mia did $26M and even Begin Again also did $26M). Same applies to the mid-budget romance flicks (have you heard of About Time..? it did $23.4M here). And LLL happens to be a bit of both. Plus Whiplash did quite well here too ($11.4M, and that's almost the same with its $13M dom). I def see the momentum being built and the WOM will be crazy good. I wouldn't be surprised if it does about $20M or more.

22 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The Revenant, early this year? 

Really?  I wouldn't put them in the same category.  First of all Leo is probably the biggest draw in North America and second, this is a Hollywood golden age musical kind of thing.  

I'm 100% sure this will not make 150 mill I'll even put a site wager on it.

5 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Really?  I wouldn't put them in the same category.  First of all Leo is probably the biggest draw in North America and second, this is a Hollywood golden age musical kind of thing.  

After seeing the movie, this is a movie that's gonna win over even people who don't like musicals. It's gonna be around all season long, especially if it ends up being the Best Picture winner.

3 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

So... someone predicts this will make 150m, you ask "When was the last time an adult drama made 150m?" seemingly in a counterargument and clearly suggesting that you think this is an adult drama, and when you get an answer, suddenly this isn't so much of an adult drama anymore? So what was the point of your question in the first place?

Also, for someone who's been following box office for such a long time, I wouldn't think you'd be "100% sure" about something like this but if that's how you roll. Musicals have made 150m before. Adult dramas have made 150m before. Heavy crowd-pleasing Oscar players have done 150m before. And this is all three in one. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

So... someone predicts this will make 150m, you ask "When was the last time an adult drama made 150m?" seemingly in a counterargument and clearly suggesting that you think this is an adult drama, and when you get an answer, suddenly this isn't so much of an adult drama anymore? So what was the point of your question in the first place?

Also, for someone who's been following box office for such a long time, I wouldn't think you'd be "100% sure" about something like this but if that's how you roll. Musicals have made 150m before. Adult dramas have made 150m before. Heavy crowd-pleasing Oscar players have done 150m before. And this is all three in one. 

But you have one film that has met your criteria and it starred Leo.

And I'm asking when is the last time a crowd pleasing Oscar winning musical has done 150 million?  Chicago?  How about the last musical to do 150 million?  I guess Les Miz is close.  Ok, I'll even lower it for you guys.  125 million.

And why would teenage girls be uninterested in LLL? Obviously it wouldn't be for every girl out there, but it's a romantic musical about having dreams, looks to be highly gif-able and has Emma Stone wearing a succession of pretty, colorful dresses...or by teen audience, does that really mean "boys"?

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Ok, so if you are so adamant about it, then once the contest is up, I hope to see you in it.

I just don't think it looks appealing enough to a mass audience.