grim22

Concussion | NFL Concussion Drama | Christmas 2015 | Will Smith. Luke Wilson. Trailer page 1.

This is a very common assumption (and one I used to make all the time), but it's actually not necessarily true. The final movie can (and often is) dramatically different than the development script (whichever draft Smith read before he signed on). Without reading the various drafts (and even beyond that, the notes given throughout the process), we don't really have a way of knowing who's at fault for all the movie's flaws.

Just took a look at the script and most of the issues are all in there down to the absolutely absurd ending. Still having trouble wrapping my head around Smith choosing this. After our previous exchange, I thought that there must have been significant changes and possibly re-writes during the production (and there very well might have been), but the script itself is beyond lackluster. Hoping Concussion & Suicide Squad can turn things around because despite his moments of arrogance, he's a really talented dude.

Just took a look at the script and most of the issues are all in there down to the absolutely absurd ending. Still having trouble wrapping my head around Smith choosing this. After our previous exchange, I thought that there must have been significant changes and possibly re-writes during the production (and there very well might have been), but the script itself is beyond lackluster. Hoping Concussion & Suicide Squad can turn things around because despite his moments of arrogance, he's a really talented dude.

Again, which draft, though? The draft that sold (and got various people excited about the project) almost certainly isn't the one floating around. And "issues" can be mysterious, intangible things. Nothing is ever a slam dunk, and no one's infallible when it comes to reading (or writing) something on the page and then having it go pear-shaped somehow... even with the best of intentions. There are almost always re-writes on production, whether for basic practical reasons or to rework scenes or sequences. And sometimes people have a good grasp that things are going wrong, and they're simply unable to fix them; or the powers that be might not want them fixed because they like them (for whatever reason). (Think Jon Peters and his giant spider.)

We tend to think in very black-and-white terms but in almost every situation, the creative reality of productions is a giant mess of gray. I've gotten more and more reluctant to assign any sort of blame without specific insider knowledge.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

Again, which draft, though? The draft that sold (and got various people excited about the project) almost certainly isn't the one floating around. And "issues" can be mysterious, intangible things. Nothing is ever a slam dunk, and no one's infallible when it comes to reading (or writing) something on the page and then having it go pear-shaped somehow... even with the best of intentions. There are almost always re-writes on production, whether for basic practical reasons or to rework scenes or sequences. And sometimes people have a good grasp that things are going wrong, and they're simply unable to fix them; or the powers that be might not want them fixed because they like them (for whatever reason). (Think Jon Peters and his giant spider.)

We tend to think in very black-and-white terms but in almost every situation, the creative reality of productions is a giant mess of gray. I've gotten more and more reluctant to assign any sort of blame without specific insider knowledge.

Again, all great and correct points. I am sure many things evolved in production which is what happens on essentially all projects. It was the first draft (and not from the internet) and many of the things I found problematic, especially the ending where he is shot in between the 3rd & 4th ribs (I mean, really?) are in the draft.

• Like 1

Again, all great and correct points. I am sure many things evolved in production which is what happens on essentially all projects. It was the first draft (and not from the internet) and many of the things I found problematic, especially the ending where he is shot in between the 3rd & 4th ribs (I mean, really?) are in the draft.

I can't argue specifics and absurdities, because I haven't seen the movie. :lol: First draft, though? Nice.

• Like 1

I can't argue specifics and absurdities, because I haven't seen the movie. :lol: First draft, though? Nice.

Ha! Shockingly, I can't recommend it. Yeah it's the first draft from early 2012. Not a box-office disaster at least. Despite the flaws, I like to see mid-budget original films being made.

Since when did Smith became bad at acting? He made awful films recently but this time he's actually in an interesting project but he just looks bad at it. Doubt it does slightly more than Seven Pounds.

Even in Focus (which I thought was meh) Smith was great!