grim22

The Box Office Mojo issues thread. Brad Brevet is the new editor, the Simanton reign is over.

Yep.

http://www.vgchartz.com/pro/

It's exclusive to media and retail people too. So yeah, I think all that BOM data is going to IMDBPro, just another greedy corporate money grab.

It's similar to what happened these recent years : The Wall Street Journal isn't free, NYT is free for 10 articles a month ans same thing for the Economist, The Washington Post followed that path as well.

I can understand of course : with the decreasing newspaper sales they need new ways to find revenues but still when you're used to get news for free it's kind of painful to face it.

• Like 2

I can understand of course : with the decreasing newspaper sales they need new ways to find revenues but still when you're used to get news for free it's kind of painful to face it.

It's also unfortunate when it comes to online discourse because you can't just post a link and expect everyone to be able to read it.

nothing, but it's good to see the stock price dropping

That won't last very long, it's a movement in all technological values, not just Amazon.

And Amazon does a fantastic job with its website, with the way we do online shopping, I just can't hate them just because of BOM..All these data needed time to be gathered, and it has a cost so they perfectly have the right to make money on it.

What happened to BOM is really unfortunate but they're not a charity.

It's a sad truth, but free stuff on the Internet is a privilege, not a right. We conditioned ourselves to think otherwise because the idealistic geeks got in before the big businesses did, but there's nothing we can do. If they do make it pay, the only thing that would change their mind would be XBox One level backlash that would actually risk serious damage to their public image and their bottom line. And I can't see that happening for a freaking box office statistics site. I just can't.

I honestly think that if the BO community is displeased, they should make their own site which is everything they want it to be. Even if BOM does actually go pay, numerical BO data is still public domain and just one user with a premium account could provide it all to an open source site. Especially since the people who aren't paying for it weren't going to pay for it anyway.

And of course ALL of this is based entirely on the speculation, not what's actually going to happen.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 6

you can't really say that because we don't know why or what happened to BOM yet.

I don't have any illusions...Usually when a website is temporarily down they warn you "Don't worry it's just down for maintenance" or something like that.

This silence is astounding and seems to be a confirmation in its own right.

I saw this on the Wrap comments from someone who apparently did check the redirect headers (this was 11hrs ago):

"It says 'moved temporarily', so we can still hope, it'll be back soon.

Can anybody with more knowledge of HTTP explain what this is and whether it's a good sign?

• Like 2