CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald | 16 NOV 2018 | NO SPOILERS | Trailer Page 89

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I feel like it's destined to open with less than the first at this point tbh. Movie's getting less screens around me than the first did two years ago. Though having two other openers in 3K+ theaters (while the biggest non-Fantastic Beasts opener from that same weekend - The Edge of Seventeen - was in less than 2K theaters) makes the fight for screen space tougher.

I also think it's a case of  quite a few people being underwhelmed by FB,and are waiting to see the reaction to this one before laying down their 12 or so bucks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Certainly not the kind of excitement you had with "Beasts".

I actually re-watched all the Harry Potter movies (not Fantastic Beasts) recently with Jay and Dexter of Suburbia. I plan to re-watch Fantastic Beasts tomorrow but man...I'm not looking forward to such a "meh" entry. I guess there's a chance it's better but eh......

1 hour ago, clockwork said:

I suppose this film really will be the test to see if the Wizarding World franchise is "critic proof" as the saying goes. If it makes less than 600 million then WB might have a problem on their hands, but if it makes 650 and up then full steam ahead with 3 more movies. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/shortcuts/2018/nov/05/bohemian-rhapsodys-runaway-success-confirms-it-2018-is-the-year-of-the-critic-proof-movie

https://www.thewrap.com/fantastic-beasts-sequel-critic-proof-box-office/

I don't think WB will feel comfortable moving ahead with another 3 sequels if Fantastic Beasts does only $650 million. That's a massive 20% loss from the first. I think unless FB2 surprises everyone and increases from the first movie, the studio will be looking very carefully into FB3 before greenlighting FB4 and FB5. There will be a lot of pressure on FB3 to win audiences interest in the franchise.

I think FB3 is safe but FB4 and FB5 will depend on how FB3 does.

Holy smokes! It's been a while since I left the theatre with so many impressions and thoughts to the point I almost wanted to go back and rewatch it immediately. I get why so many critics thought it was overcrowded because there were lots of things going on in this movie. There were parts I loved, parts I really disliked and some things I still need to process. 

13 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

Holy smokes! It's been a while since I left the theatre with so many impressions and thoughts to the point I almost wanted to go back and rewatch it immediately. I get why so many critics thought it was overcrowded because there were lots of things going on in this movie. There were parts I loved, parts I really disliked and some things I still need to process. 

Rating?

15 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

It definitely made me wanna go back and rewatch it straight away.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Sadly, like The Last Jedi, too much gets in the way

It very much felt like my experience of The Last Jedi: It was visually stunning and filled with good ideas, but really messy. 

I obviously haven’t seen this movie, but I do have to wonder what it is that makes critics hate movies like this, while also loving something as painfully boring as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Some of the complaints I’ve seen about this movie are that it tries too hard to shoot for fan service that it forgets to tell a compelling story, and while that does sound like a reasonable complaint, it also sums up Rogue One just about perfectly. Why exactly does Star Wars get a pass for that kind of stuff (and no, I’m not suggesting that Disney pays off their critics)? 

1 minute ago, TheBigYawn said:

It very much felt like my experience of The Last Jedi: It was visually stunning and filled with good ideas, but really messy. 

The exact thing I thought multiple times, I was having so many TLJ flashbacks I thought it was December 2017.

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Rating?

I feel like I need to process it a bit more, but my gut feeling? 7.5/10.

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I obviously haven’t seen this movie, but I do have to wonder what it is that makes critics hate movies like this, while also loving something as painfully boring as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Some of the complaints I’ve seen about this movie are that it tries too hard to shoot for fan service that it forgets to tell a compelling story, and while that does sound like a reasonable complaint, it also sums up Rogue One just about perfectly. Why exactly does Star Wars get a pass for that kind of stuff (and no, I’m not suggesting that Disney pays off their critics)? 

I do wonder these things at times. Movies like Solo and Ant-Man & the Wasp too me feel incredibly aimless and safe which I'd never wanna praise over something like this that takes genuine risks the whole way through and feels ambitious with everything it's doing. Rogue One aimed somewhere but nothing about it felt like it was about anything or even cared about the characters it was introducing. I'm pretty sure it just comes down to people are already more invested in Star Wars and Marvel than they are Fantastic Beasts so it comes more naturally for them to give those movies a pass. Crimes of Grindelwald didn't feel to me like it was relying more on fan service or past lore than Infinity War.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

I feel like I need to process it a bit more, but my gut feeling? 7.5/10.

Ay .5 up from the last one for you then!

Yeah, all the way with what you people are saying.

I prefer 100% a movie which was ambitious but didn't quite do things exactly right and ended up divisive rather than a safe,formulatic,dire blockbuster that everyone will find fine.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I do wonder these things at times. Movies like Solo and Ant-Man & the Wasp too me feel incredibly aimless and safe which I'd never wanna praise over something like this that takes genuine risks the whole way through and feels ambitious with everything it's doing. Rogue One aimed somewhere but nothing about it felt like it was about anything or even cared about the characters it was introducing. I'm pretty sure it just comes down to people are already more invested in Star Wars and Marvel than they are Fantastic Beasts so it comes more naturally for them to give those movies a pass. Crimes of Grindelwald didn't feel to me like it was relying more on fan service or past lore than Infinity War.

Movies like Infinity War and Ant-Man & the Wasp at least had characters who I had a reason to give a crap about. The characters in Rogue One were just planks of wood. The only character who had anything resembling a personality was the robot, and even then, that personality pretty much exclusively involved some occasionally snarky one liners. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Some of the complaints I’ve seen about this movie are that it tries too hard to shoot for fan service that it forgets to tell a compelling story, and while that does sound like a reasonable complaint, it also sums up Rogue One just about perfectly. Why exactly does Star Wars get a pass for that kind of stuff (and no, I’m not suggesting that Disney pays off their critics)? 

I mostly agree. I mean, why is the millennium falcon still around in these new movies other than for fan service? I remember seeing The Force Awakens and the audience cheered with the Falcon came on screen, and again when Han Solo and Chewbacca popped up. Rouge one didn't need to have Darth Vader pop up in it but yet his appearance got praised. I think fan service is too subjective a thing to be considered a valid criticism, simply because either you like it or you don't. 

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Yeah, all the way with what you people are saying.

I prefer 100% a movie which was ambitious but didn't quite do things exactly right and ended up divisive rather than a safe,formulatic,dire blockbuster that everyone will find fine.

Smart thinking

making good  movies is safe  and formulaic

studios should do more bad  movies

Edited by The Futurist

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Movies like Infinity War and Ant-Man & the Wasp at least had characters who I had a reason to give a crap about. The characters in Rogue One were just planks of wood. The only character who had anything resembling a personality was the robot, and even then, that personality pretty much exclusively involved some occasionally snarky one liners. 

Oh don't get me wrong I enjoyed Infinity War, I'd rate it about the same as Crimes of Grindelwald, albeit for wildly different reasons. It's just that you need the previous films to understand why Infinity War has all these characters involved and what it means, which is fine but then the same people praising that film can't go over and say CoG relied too much on knowing what happens in previous films. I didn't care at all for Ant-Man & the Wasp but the characters weren't really the problem, although they are quite overly simplistic to be a sequel to an already 2 hour long movie. Rogue One is the big one for me in terms of lack of characters and it's been my main gripe against the movie for almost two years now. 

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Smart thinking

making good  movies is safe  and formulaic

studios should do more bad  movies

Taking risks and being ambitious with your filmmaking is how we end up with great movies. Not all of them can end up great, but most of them will end up interesting which holds longer than safe and formulaic.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I don't think WB will feel comfortable moving ahead with another 3 sequels if Fantastic Beasts does only $650 million. That's a massive 20% loss from the first. I think unless FB2 surprises everyone and increases from the first movie, the studio will be looking very carefully into FB3 before greenlighting FB4 and FB5.

I think they should drop FB5. Not because I don't want the series to succeed, I really do, but just to challenge Rowling to simplify her planned story beats a bit more; with four movies she has to be more selective about what parts and characters are crucial to the story. 

Edited by TheBigYawn

Just now, TheBigYawn said:

I think they should drop FB5. Not because I don't want the series to succeed, I really do, but just to challenge Rowling to simplify her planned story beats a bit more; with four movies she's have to be more selective in what parts and characters are crucial to the story. 

I'd agree with you, but I'd also be worried that Rowling would go nuts and squeeze all of FB5 into FB4 like the mad woman she is.