CJohn

My Little Pony: The Movie | Oct 6 2017 | Emily Blunt. Sia joins voice cast.

From Cartoon Brew:

To be honest, these Lego movies are getting more publicity than My Little Pony: The Movie, another film based around a toy line. I heard from Michel Gagne, an effects animator who worked on the movie due out October 6, that the film held it's premiere in NYC yesterday and the response from the people who were invited, including critics, was enthusiastic, yet they are withheld from posting reviews until the review embargo is lifted. This gives me as sign that much like the original Lego movie, MLP: The Movie has the potential to be excellent for something that could have easily been a feature length toy commercial. Maybe the trick is to not think so much about selling toys and think more on the story, along with many other factors that contributed to The Lego Movie's success.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

From Cartoon Brew:

To be honest, these Lego movies are getting more publicity than My Little Pony: The Movie, another film based around a toy line. I heard from Michel Gagne, an effects animator who worked on the movie due out October 6, that the film held it's premiere in NYC yesterday and the response from the people who were invited, including critics, was enthusiastic, yet they are withheld from posting reviews until the review embargo is lifted. This gives me as sign that much like the original Lego movie, MLP: The Movie has the potential to be excellent for something that could have easily been a feature length toy commercial. Maybe the trick is to not think so much about selling toys and think more on the story, along with many other factors that contributed to The Lego Movie's success.

@tribefan695 your wishes might soon come true.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

From Cartoon Brew:

So do what the show did.

• Like 1

It does have pretty much zero competition for the next month, and since Ninjago's WOM isn't great and there's only so long parents of sons can go without needing to kill some time with them, good reviews might help influence the more adventurous/desperate ones to check this out. Hopefully the advance screenings on Saturday help to ward off the Brony idiocy and normal moviegoers will be able to actually enjoy it when it opens. 

Edited by tribefan695

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

It does have pretty much zero competition for the next month, and since Ninjago's WOM isn't great and there's only so long parents of sons can go without needing to kill some time with them, good reviews might help influence the more adventurous/desperate ones to check this out.

Thor is going to play very heavily to families in all likelihood. I imagine most young boys will just choose to wait until that movie comes out.

2 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

RT reviews haven't stopped me from watching a movie before. The opinions of friends, on the other hand, have.

I've gone over my thoughts on RT as a whole before, but I don't think I'm wrong saying it's pretty important for this movie's success and maybe even for the future of the adult fanbase. The property's bad reputation is built largely on its stigma as a girly toy franchise combined with the images spread in the media of entitled superfans co-opting the characters for whatever indecent endeavours they see fit. Good reviews would go a long way towards this franchise receiving a modicum of its deserved respect in the mainstream in the absence of the ability of its most visible fans to treat it with such, and I think that can be achieved if it's of the quality of the TV series. If it does get bad reviews, then I'm going to be inclined to think it's a failure of the movie, not the audience. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2017 at 9:20 PM, Morieris said:

I know Tribefan mentioned it on the Best Animated Feature topic but I didn't know the soundtrack in full was out (maybe it just came out), and I did not expect Emily to get a song, and ofc it's awesome. 

Just listened to a few of the songs on youtube (damn... dat villain song). There are a lot of different styles in there. Not much of it seems to be the super cutesy shugary stuff i expected. Really nice.

Wonder if that goes over well with the little ones, but i am starting to look forward to this.

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 1

Full review coming next Thursday but I’ll say this... if being a brony is wrong, I don’t wanna be right. #MyLittlePonyMovie

#MyLittlePonyMovie was legit good. I was truly transported to Equestria for an hour and forty minutes.

Seeing the poster in July, my mom asked me if #MyLittlePonyMovie would be good. Having now seen the actual movie, my answer is "Yes, very."

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1