CJohn

My Little Pony: The Movie | Oct 6 2017 | Emily Blunt. Sia joins voice cast.

Yeah... After how shockingly put off I was by the half hour I watched (to the point I didn't have the resolve to continue), I knew I had truly been beating a dead horse. Can only hope the series survives this. What would be some poetic justice is if the number of viewers for Saturday's new episode are higher than the tickets sold for the movie.

TWIL that good songs only make about 10% of your movie good. Also studios will truly pay critics to shill anything, even get them to feign reluctantly being won over.

Sorry for any annoyances or false hopes I'm responsible for.

48 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeah... After how shockingly put off I was by the half hour I watched (to the point I didn't have the resolve to continue), I knew I had truly been beating a dead horse. Can only hope the series survives this.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't survive this. The brand still does well enough for Hasbro anyway. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

48 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Isn't it still greenlit until at least season 8? It's not going anywhere when it costs a lot less to turn the channel on Saturdays to Discovery Kids than to go to the theater. 

Yeah, it's got another season greenlit, but I feel like the movie might further discourage any newcomers. 

Perhaps my fears are misplaced; just a bummer they couldn't capitalize on this opportunity. Tomatometer actually doesn't look terrible right now but I'm pretty sure it's going to go down eventually with that average rating. I suppose it's reassuring to know that critics would in fact have given this its dues if it were the quality I'd expected.

• Like 1

Saw it. I believe it was worth the price of admission, and as expected, it's something that mostly kids will enjoy. My niece loved it, as did so many other kids at the showing.

This is coming from a guy who hates watching musical numbers in films. It was solid.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2017 at 3:08 PM, tribefan695 said:

Yeah... After how shockingly put off I was by the half hour I watched (to the point I didn't have the resolve to continue), I knew I had truly been beating a dead horse. Can only hope the series survives this. What would be some poetic justice is if the number of viewers for Saturday's new episode are higher than the tickets sold for the movie.

TWIL that good songs only make about 10% of your movie good. Also studios will truly pay critics to shill anything, even get them to feign reluctantly being won over.

Sorry for any annoyances or false hopes I'm responsible for.

Similar to another movie topic where I was posting regularly in it like you did for this movie, MLP is behaving similarly to Power Rangers.  Although Scott Mendelson from Forbes has already suggested no MLP theatrical sequel already as of today.  It took him a few weeks to do that for PR.   And like PR, there were regular updates in its topic before release suggesting fans were hopeful for a good opening weekend and good multiplier.  And just like PR, it appears the existing fan base was most of the opening weekend's audience.  If it continues to behave like Lionsgate's release from earlier this year, those of you hoping for a good long run for MLP are very likely to be disappointed by the second weekend drop.

I was surprised by the "-" part after the "A."  Usually, I would expect the opening day audience, which are mostly existing fans, to just give the movie an "A" Cinemascore.

Edited by Outrageous!
  • Like 1

It was quite entertaining, with the moral of 

Spoiler

Don't trust anyone. 

Also the side moral of "Being nice to people will get them to help you" and "Equestria is an outlier in a world of poverty and slavery." 

The Griffon designs were really awkward looking on land.

Edited by Morieris
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

It was quite entertaining, with the moral of 

Reveal hidden contents

The Griffon designs were really awkward looking on land.

Well....two of these things are mostly true and sometimes parallel reality, if you think about it.

Edited by NoobSaibot

I'll probably watch the whole thing eventually, but I have to admit from what I saw the visual style was fundamentally misjudged, as much as I wanted to hold out hope that it was just a bad YouTube transfer. Have no idea how anyone could have thought it even as pleasing to the eye as the TV series'; let alone for a movie with tens of millions of dollars invested in it. The script also needed to ditch the forced fanservice and the character of Grubber entirely.

Amazing to compare how legitimately funny and charming the last few episodes of the show have been with how ugly the movie looked.

Edited by tribefan695

The quality was probably what I liked most; The ponies looked so plush and I liked the detail in their eyes (which is in the show but it's different there), and the backgrounds looked really deep.

It didn't work out quite as well for the bird characters.

Also

Spoiler

When Twilight was panicking about asking the Princesses, the little girl behind me went "I don't like Twilight anymore".

I dunno, just felt like they were given too much freedom with the expressions and didn't really have the animation finesse for a consistent flow from one key frame to the next. What really stuck out as not sitting right from what I saw was RD's face when she said "You're not getting ALL the glory...". 

But the shoddy editing/sound mixing and lousy CGI models in the opening action scene certainly didn't help. I didn't think as a fan it should've taken me more than the length of an episode to get into it.

DEADLINE

Lionsgate/Hasbro’s kids movie rode to an estimated $3.8M from 49 markets for its initial international session. Voiced by Uzo Aduba, Ashleigh Ball, Emily Blunt, Kristen Chenoweth and Taye Diggs, the flick is directed by Jayson Thiessen. As a dark force threatens Ponyville, the Mane 6 embark on a journey beyond Equestria where they meet new friends and exciting challenges on a quest to use the magic of friendship to save their home. Germany was the top debut with $676K, followed by Mexico($533K), Poland ($411K), the Middle East ($220K) and Denmark ($213K). Aimed at little girls, it’s next up in Russia, France, the UK, Australia and Italy.

Well, now that I've seen the whole thing I understand other fans' impulse to defend it a bit more. It morphs into more of a charmingly conventional Disney-style movie in its later stages; albeit with much less true wit or imagination. Still think the art style was a miscalculation and the script needed to focus more on the depth of the characters established in the series if it didn't plan to do anything compelling with the new ones.

A shame it looks like they probably won't get another chance.

• Like 1

All the reviews are still there, though. Guess something got screwed up when they added a couple new ones. Not like it really matters at this point, anyway.

If CartoonBrew's budget estimate of $5-8 million is in fact accurate then I guess this is already profitable. Hopefully next time they'll be more concerned with a good story than forcing as many characters and celebrities in as they can.