CJohn

My Little Pony: The Movie | Oct 6 2017 | Emily Blunt. Sia joins voice cast.

I know with the rating system the way it is today. almost every pre 2000 Disney Animation would have obtained a PG rating. 

Yep, other than Winnie the Pooh, they could find something "PG" worthy about each one. 

Granted, there's only a couple Disney animated films (including stop-motion and Pixar as well) where a PG is most appropriate:

1. The Black Cauldron 
  2. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? 
  3. The Nightmare Before Christmas
  4. James and the Giant Peach 
  5. DINOSAUR
  6. The Incredibles 
  7. Wreck-it Ralph
  8. Frankenweenie 

Every other Disney animated film is generally acceptable for most kids and deserving of a G rating. I don't think Toy Story 3 or Cars 2 are unacceptable for a general audience. Frozen and Tangled are as all-ages as Disney animation gets. Contrary to what helicopter parents believe, your kids can handle the various sad moments throughout Disney animation history.

And don't get me started on Wizard of Oz's PG for "some scary moments"... glad it's only for the IMAX 3D version 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

“We will continue to make big tentpole movies with our studio partners,” says Davis, explaining that on smaller pictures, Hasbro can have more control over budget and marketing. “There are new economic models that fit certain films,” he notes. “It creates a level of flexibility for us that we can use to our advantage. Where we fully finance a movie, the economics are more potentially favorable.”

“My Little Pony” will be one of those, and it’s expected to be budgeted at far less than films like “Despicable Me,” which cost $69 million to produce. Hasbro already has produced direct-to-home video animated “Pony” movies, and it’s producing the 100th episode of a TV series that plays worldwide.

http://variety.com/2014/more/news/how-hasbro-wants-to-take-the-financial-reins-of-its-movies-starting-with-my-little-pony-1201337488/

So it seems they're still trying to keep the budget low. Hopefully that means that they're going to keep the Flash animation look, with maybe a few upgrades to justify a wide theatrical release.