194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Interstellar

What an unbelievable experience. Whatever opinion you have about the film, even if you hate it, you gotta admit that it was a movie experience like no other. Nolan is truly one of the last mohicans, making and old-school film with fresh, unique ideas. It's like making a late 80s style rap album this day and age with brilliant, thought-provoking lyrics or running and NFL team an old-school offense and reaching the SB and whether he wins it or not it won't take anything away from it's great achievement.

Script:

Easily Nolan's most ambitious piece. I truly don't get the nitpicking, there are some cheesy lines, but they are not standout cheesy, fit well to the scene, the poem is quoted a tad too many times. There are two very strong characters, Coop and Murphy and their relationship is the core of the movie. Brand is underwritten, could have had more character development. I don't see how people can attack the science parts, what plot holes are they're talking about? The film tackles two subjects that no scientist can put a legit theory attached to it, so it is fair play to let Nolan's imagination run. The two things are love and gravity and the script is really strong when it fires on all cylinders. Dialogues aren't bad at all. There's humour in the film, not laugh-out-loud, hilarious jokes, but gentle humour to easy the tension. I'd say the writing is better than TDK and Rises, but not above Memento and Inception - then again, I REALLY loved Inception. The flashback scenes are nicely done, tension built perfectly.

Action:

The start is very slow. This film requires patience. A lot. But if you make it to the end, the finish will worth it. I liked the build-up, but didn't really get into it too much, but the stuff that didn't impress me in the beginning made crystal clear sense in the end and it will make the second viewing much more pleasant, I'm 100% of that. The second act isn't impressive story wise, but the visuals are breathtaking as you'd expect. One critic singles out a moment that captured me as well, when you see the vast space and there's no music, but absolute silence and the only thing you can hear is the 70mm film rolling, such a nostalgic, wonderful feeling and makes you realize how much you love cinema. The third act is something else. 2001 stuff, probably Nolan's best cinematic work yet.

Acting:

The critics were spot on, MM is a true leader, proper maverick with soft heart. He truly rocks. Not an award winning performance, but gains more respect in the industry for sure. Chastain gives the most outstanding performance, should get nominated. Hathaway was perfect for the role, it's not her fault that the script doesn't give her much platform to shine. Supporting cast spot on, even young Murph delivers.

Visuals:

No need to say anything, go see it and you'll be mesmerised. Top notch camerawork, lighting and editing.

Music:

Brilliant work by Zimmer. Gentle when it needed, loud when epicness due and a few themes are simply belong among his best work. Need to listen to it separately to compare it to Inception and Batman-trilogy. 

Act 1: B+

Act 2: A-

Act 3: A+

It's a slow start, but when a film gradually gets better as the story unfolds I expect mainly positive reaction. The worst that a person will say about this film is: the story was shit, but the visuals were amazing, so don't expect many people actually dislike it to the point to not recommend it. 

Second viewing is needed. With a joint. Oh and do not plan much after the film, it won't go out of your system stepping out the theatre exit.

Overall rating: A

Cinematic experience: A+

• Like 20

Interstellar

What an unbelievable experience. Whatever opinion you have about the film, even if you hate it, you gotta admit that it was a movie experience like no other. Nolan is truly one of the last mohicans, making and old-school film with fresh, unique ideas. It's like making a late 80s style rap album this day and age with brilliant, thought-provoking lyrics or running and NFL team an old-school offense and reaching the SB and whether he wins it or not it won't take anything away from it's great achievement.

Script:

Easily Nolan's most ambitious piece. I truly don't get the nitpicking, there are some cheesy lines, but they are not standout cheesy, fit well to the scene, the poem is quoted a tad too many times. There are two very strong characters, Coop and Murphy and their relationship is the core of the movie. Brand is underwritten, could have had more character development. I don't see how people can attack the science parts, what plot holes are they're talking about? The film tackles two subjects that no scientist can put a legit theory attached to it, so it is fair play to let Nolan's imagination run. The two things are love and gravity and the script is really strong when it fires on all cylinders. Dialogues aren't bad at all. There's humour in the film, not laugh-out-loud, hilarious jokes, but gentle humour to easy the tension. I'd say the writing is better than TDK and Rises, but not above Memento and Inception - then again, I REALLY loved Inception. The flashback scenes are nicely done, tension built perfectly.

Action:

The start is very slow. This film requires patience. A lot. But if you make it to the end, the finish will worth it. I liked the build-up, but didn't really get into it too much, but the stuff that didn't impress me in the beginning made crystal clear sense in the end and it will make the second viewing much more pleasant, I'm 100% of that. The second act isn't impressive story wise, but the visuals are breathtaking as you'd expect. One critic singles out a moment that captured me as well, when you see the vast space and there's no music, but absolute silence and the only thing you can hear is the 70mm film rolling, such a nostalgic, wonderful feeling and makes you realize how much you love cinema. The third act is something else. 2001 stuff, probably Nolan's best cinematic work yet.

Acting:

The critics were spot on, MM is a true leader, proper maverick with soft heart. He truly rocks. Not an award winning performance, but gains more respect in the industry for sure. Chastain gives the most outstanding performance, should get nominated. Hathaway was perfect for the role, it's not her fault that the script doesn't give her much platform to shine. Supporting cast spot on, even young Murph delivers.

Visuals:

No need to say anything, go see it and you'll be mesmerised. Top notch camerawork, lighting and editing.

Music:

Brilliant work by Zimmer. Gentle when it needed, loud when epicness due and a few themes are simply belong among his best work. Need to listen to it separately to compare it to Inception and Batman-trilogy. 

Act 1: B+

Act 2: A-

Act 3: A+

It's a slow start, but when a film gradually gets better as the story unfolds I expect mainly positive reaction. The worst that a person will say about this film is: the story was shit, but the visuals were amazing, so don't expect many people actually dislike it to the point to not recommend it. 

Second viewing is needed. With a joint. Oh and do not plan much after the film, it won't go out of your system stepping out the theatre exit.

Overall rating: A

Cinematic experience: A+

tumblr_inline_ndt0brH1aq1s7pxgj.gif

• Like 2

From the main thread:

--The performances are all pretty great, especially McConaughey and Chastain, but I was really surprised by Hathaway. Say what you will about her, but she's a great actress. Bill Iwrin as the robot was also quite funny.

--Speaking of which, there's a lot of moments of humor in the movie, more so than I can recall with Nolan. It's pretty cute most of the time and lightens the tone.

--Technically, the film is brilliant. There are a ton of beautiful visuals in the movie and Hans Zimmer produces his best Nolan score to date. Definitely see it on film if you can, too. It creates a feeling that really resonates with the Spielberg-esque influence throughout the film.

--The story was a bit of a mixed bag for me. It's mostly coherent and follows a good flow with some pacing issues (you really do feel the 3 hour run time), but towards the finale, it moves a long at a much more uneven and somewhat jagged approach that somewhat disconnected me from the film. Matt Damon feels tacked on just to mess things up, even though he does serve some minor purpose beyond that.

--The ideas explored in the movie, primarily towards the first 130 minutes, feel earnestly stated at best and glanced over at worst. I feel like the movie doesn't get into enough depth with some character and societal developments, primarily the world that's falling apart at the beginning and motivations throughout the film with key characters. It still deserves props for going on with them.

--This leads us to the ending, which is easily the best part of the film. It ties most of the thematic heart of the film together and makes enough sense that it creates a believable, if some stretch of plot convenience is had, ending that's emotionally satisfying. It really drives the film home and establishes a connection to 2001. It's a moment of brilliance in an otherwise very good movie.

In essence, it's a very solid movie that has more than a few script issues, but touches greatness enough that it's worth it all.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 6

The movie is brilliant!! I am so glad Nolan made this film. It is by far his biggest risk. Most of Nolan's films are safe films like his Batman movies. But Interstellar has so much heart in the film. Great characters and some of best effects I have seen on the big screen.

5/5

• Like 14

Absolutely incredible. A+. I was overwhelmed watching this. Most of the audience at my screening was overwhelmed too, as everyone sat in their seat for about 5 minutes after credits rolled. I have no other words right now.

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 6

From the main thread:

Stylistically, it has a lot of similarities to 2001. So, that is why some reviewers compared it to that film. In some ways, it felt like a film directed by Kubrick, but not as well refined. The film is ambitious and not like The Dark Knight and Inception in that it has less action. This sort of feels more like The Prestige, but as if Nolan has grown 100 years in cinematic wisdom since then. It is a more polished product, although not 100% perfect. And, like The Prestige, I predict that in years to come this will garner more recognition just as The Prestige did. Honestly, I would not be surprised if in 10 to 20 years from now this is actually considered Nolan's best film. Let's not forget 2001 was met with mixed to negative reception when it first came out as well and was only years later and re-releases that it started to gain critical acclaim.

Honestly, I can't say just yet where I rank it because I have a bias of having just seen it, but there is reasonable chance I will consider this as Nolan's best work upon subsequent viewings. I think a lot of the harsh reviews were people expecting Inception Nolan rather than master director Nolan relying on craft rather than entertainment and action like we have seen with TDK and Inception.

I know a masterpiece of film making when I see it and Interstellar is that kind of film.

• Like 4

Honestly, I think a lot of reviewers went in expecting action like TDK and Inception and instead got a well crafted film and shitted on Interstellar for actually being intelligent and well-crafted. It's as if everyone wants dumb movies these days. Inception is far from a dumb movie, but it does rely on tons of action to entertain its audience. 

• Like 1