Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Its one of those films thats far more than a movie. I feel like Im a completely different person in a way now. The ambition and depth of what Nolan attempts to achieve feels like something lost in todays world.

The end of the 1st act/ start of the 2nd where Coop says goodbye to Murph and the countdown begins then we are thrusting into space is Nolan doing what he does best at all levels. I go from crying of heartbreak to the awe of exploration all in the same beat only to then hear the silince of space with the faint sound of film racing though the projector was an out of body experience. 

• Like 19

Its one of those films thats far more than a movie. I feel like Im a completely different person in a way now. The ambition and depth of what Nolan attempts to achieve feels like something lost in todays world.

The end of the 1st act/ start of the 2nd where Coop says goodbye to Murph and the countdown begins then we are thrusting into space is Nolan doing what he does best at all levels. I go from crying of heartbreak to the awe of exploration all in the same beat only to then hear the silince of space with the faint sound of film racing though the projector was an out of body experience. 

I need a letter grade Jay

• Like 4

Wow, what an experience! I struggle to put into words what I’ve just seen but I’ll try anyway while the memory is still fresh.

I’ll start with the bad.

My only real complaint with Interstellar is the first part of the movie, up to the moment Cooper leaves the earth. It just felt overly-long and slow. I felt that some scenes such as landing the surveillance drone and parent-teacher meeting wasn't really needed in the overall context of the film. I enjoyed the father daughter dynamic, which is really the key theme throughout, but I was often left wondering why there wasn't a similar dynamic between father and son. You always got the impression that Murph was at the forefront of his thoughts, rather than Tom. I feel that the film would have made more sense if Murph was an only daughter. As it is, I failed to see what Tom brought to the movie besides showing us that he was an asshole for refusing to move his family to safety.

After Cooper reluctantly leaves his children to be blasted off to a different galaxy, you begin to see the amazing visuals everyone raved about. The fly-by of Saturn, the journey through the wormhole, the mountainous waves, and the crazy docking sequence were all out of this world. The clincher though was the black hole. I’ve never seen anything like that on the big screen or on television, and apparently a great deal of real scientific research was done to produce it so kudos to them for pulling it off. You could literally hear the audience let out the breath that they’d been holding as soon as that scene ended.

The relative time flow I felt was also an important tool that impacts the crew’s decisions and increases the tension between what’s happening in space and what’s happening down on earth. I think it’s fitting that love is what connects the two in the end overcoming the relative time flow and space in between.

Overall, while some parts of the movie were a little rough, you come away from this knowing exactly the message it was trying to convey. That is; love, in this case a father’s love for his daughter, transcends through space and time. When science failed, love with a little help of a 5-dimensional box located inside a black hole, provided the answer. In that aspect, Interstellar was a really easy film to understand even though it had generous amounts of space jargon here and there.

You also got the sensation of how frail humanity is as a species, yet also how resilient, to forge answer despite all the odds. Like Cooper says during the movie, we will find an answer we always have, and despite all the impossible situations that are thrown in their path, they do find a way. It’s a self-congratulatory pat on the back of sorts for humanity but that’s the point. We are masters of our destiny and we must continuously be looking at what’s ahead or indeed, above us.

A+ rating

• Like 9

I have a feeling if this film wasn't made by Nolan, people would be giving it a lower grade.

And the whole 'love transcends time and space' sounds really really lame. From everything I've read, Nolan has actually made the script he was originally given worse.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

I have a feeling if this film wasn't made by Nolan, people would be giving it a lower grade.

And the whole 'love transcends time and space' sounds really really lame. From everything I've read, Nolan has actually made the script he was originally given worse.

Why is love transcending time and space lame? maybe you should watch the film rather than analysing what's right or wrong with the script. 

• Like 1

Why is love transcending time and space lame? maybe you should watch the film rather than analysing what's right or wrong with the script. 

Im watching it on Monday, but I have a friend who has seen it and he's usually spot on, apparently its already overrated despite its average reviews. Doesn't surprise me considering people overrate films on this site all the time, especially a Nolan movie. His complaints about the movie where things I were concerned about.  

If I lower my expectations then I'll probably enjoy it come Monday, ad yes, 'love is the one thing that transcends time and space' is a very lame, cringy line.

Im watching it on Monday, but I have a friend who has seen it and he's usually spot on, apparently its already overrated despite its average reviews. Doesn't surprise me considering people overrate films on this site all the time, especially a Nolan movie. His complaints about the movie where things I were concerned about.  

If I lower my expectations then I'll probably enjoy it come Monday, ad yes, 'love is the one thing that transcends time and space' is a very lame, cringy line.

Ok, but then that only pertains to you and your friend really. Obviously it doesn't mean other people can't enjoy the film for what it is and not just because of the Nolan name-tag. 

I don't see what's so lame about saying love is basically the most important thing in the universe (which is what I think too) but I guess people can have different opinions about what is lame or not.

I hope you enjoy the film anyway and hopefully change your opinion of it.

• Like 1

Ok, but then that only pertains to you and your friend really. Obviously it doesn't mean other people can't enjoy the film for what it is and not just because of the Nolan name-tag. 

I don't see what's so lame about saying love is basically the most important thing in the universe (which is what I think too) but I guess people can have different opinions about what is lame or not.

I hope you enjoy the film anyway and hopefully change your opinion of it.

I better enjoy it, it's the only film I've been looking forward to all year

• Like 1

I can't stop raving about this film. The visuals in 70mm IMAX were like a dream. The Saturn-fly by, that spectacular wave sequence, just everything, and the Toroidal station near the end, I mean the station visuals blew away what Blomkamp achieved in Elysium...unbelievable!

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 5

I can't stop raving about this film. The visuals in 70mm IMAX were like a dream. The Saturn-fly by, that spectacular wave sequence, just everything, and the Toroidal station near the end, I mean the station visuals blew away what Blomkamp achieved in Elysium...unbelievable!

The visuals in interstellar blew everything from every other film away (okay maybe a little OTT). The scene with the black hole was crazy. I have to see it again just for that.

Agree that you have to see it on an IMAX screen though to fully appreciate it. 

• Like 3

Would love to see a sequel, however unlikely it may be. But the ending certainly leaves the door open to an adventure which could be told!

The final scenes in the tesseract were realised so beautifully. I went into the film knowing they'd go into a black hole and wondered, "How the fuck will they visualise that?". Well, they pulled it off.

Edited by Tyrian

This movie has such INCREDIBLE depth it boggles my mind. I'm not necessarily even talking about the main storylines and themes.

Just as an example, the point in the film where the twist occurs with Caine's character and also where Damon's character reveals his philosophy, the implications are extremely deep.

• Like 5