Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The visuals in interstellar blew everything from every other film away (okay maybe a little OTT). The scene with the black hole was crazy. I have to see it again just for that.

Agree that you have to see it on an IMAX screen though to fully appreciate it. 

I have to see it again as soon as I can manage it. It was almost emotionally exhausting in IMAX, such an intense but incredible experience. I want to experience again sooo many parts of the film. The wormhole entry, the wave sequence, the entire Damon sequence from when they first meet him all the way up to Cooper docking with the damaged Endurance. That spinning docking scene was just unfathomable. And yes of course, the incredible black hole scene, not to mention the 5th dimension sequence and then near the end the visuals of the toroidal station.

• Like 1

Act 1 - Spielberg

Act 2 - meh

Act 3 - Kubrick

I'm a huge fan of Nolan but really don't know what to think now. It has some phenomenal moments and Hoytema + Zimmer deserve Oscars (and I'd be ok with a nom for McConaughey) but overall... It's tough. Anyway it's a unique movie and I'll see it tomorrow again. Right now:

8/10

• Like 2

I was completely stunned when leaving the theater. I can't remember ever feeling this way after a film ended. It's been on my mind non-stop since I left. It demands another viewing. 

Not only is this Nolan's most ambitious film by far, it's also one of the most imaginative and thought-provoking science fiction films I have ever seen. The visuals are mesmerizing to the last degree with the wormhole and blackhole being by far the most astounding. It's truly like nothing you have ever seen before.

The ideas are gigantic, and they are almost always handled with a great deal of care. But it's not only why this movie will be remembered. The relationship between Cooper and his daughter, Murphy, is genuinely touching, and it reaches an emotional apex at the end of the film that is incredibly genuine and moving. Yes, this story is mostly about love and its power to transform humans into achieving the impossible. Guess what? It wouldn't have been anywhere near amazing if the story hadn't been about Cooper and Murphy. 

The last 30 minutes will most likely divide some of the audience (but not nearly as much as something like 2001 because the emotion here is so palpable), and it truly is one of the most stunning last acts I've ever watched on screen. It's powerful, thought-provoking, and will undoubtedly generate a lot of discussion...and that's always a good thing.

The last five minutes of this film are perfection. I cannot think of even one tiny fault in its conclusion. Cooper being reunited with Murphy, and eventually being told to leave the room because "no parent should ever have to watch their children die." That made me tear up. The very last minute of the film is brilliantly handled, and the last shot of Anne Hathaway walking into the new colony ends the film on a beautifully hopeful note.

Nolan's best? Absolutely. The last hour, the themes, and the emotion distinguish it drastically from his past work. This is a new Nolan. And one I am dying to see more of.

A+

It is impossible for me to give this a lower grade because of the last hour. It floored me.

• Like 17

Would love to see a sequel, however unlikely it may be. But the ending certainly leaves the door open to an adventure which could be told!

The final scenes in the tesseract were realised so beautifully. I went into the film knowing they'd go into a black hole and wondered, "How the fuck will they visualise that?". Well, they pulled it off.

I'm pretty sure Nolan did not intend a sequel.

• Like 1

Also, I wouldn t sum up the movie by love transcends space and time, it s one of the main ideas of the film among many others and the line is totally earned by the father- daughter relationship anyway. Hey, Anne won with love too, their last planet is finally our only hope and the first settler was her lover.

If you find find this theme corny, well you re loss, any kind of love is what makes us human and it is daring to put this theme at the forefront of a hard sci fi movie.

Don t forget the " they" they are all talking about, it s one of the biggest sci fi theme in tv shows and novels. Are they supreme beings in the universe that can bend space and time at will, that live through infinite universes and dimensions where there is no time ?

I just loved all that wacky blackholes stuff so much. !

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Nolan did not intend a sequel.

The movie could have been a great tv show, so much happens in the movie. Nolan was a fan of the Cosmos 1999 tv show when he was a kid and you can see the influence.

Edited by The Futurist

Why Jason Bourne looses it ? I missed what his arc is really about. He lost hope ?

When he went there he truly expected his planet to be the one but it was a desolate wasteland. He had no hope unless the follow-up teams came. He didn't want to die alone so he kept sending the signal saying his planet was fine. He went there for the best of reasons but when he realised he would probably die there he didn't want to accept that no matter want the consequence to the rest of the human race.

Did anyone else get a Val Kilmer vibe off of Damon?

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

Four hours since my screening and I'm still thinking about Interstellar. It's not a perfect movie but maybe it just shouldn't be. I'm ok with that. Can't wait to see it tomorrow again (and this time with my whole family).

• Like 2

Yeah, the movie could have been shorter, it could have developed some characters more than it did and it could have not wasted, and I mean fucking wasted Casey Affleck but it didn't do any of those things. It told a story about a father's love for his daughter and vice-versa and it told it in the most epic way ever. Seriously, I saw it on probably one of the shittiest screens it will ever be projected on (fucking Croatia) and I was in awe of the visuals and the scope for most of this movie. I don't want to write a long-ass post right now so I'll try to be brief. Story - great for the most part, score - fuck you Zimmer for making me cry! (his best since Inception), acting - Matt was so good, as was Chastain, others were mostly serviceable, cinematography - Hoyte was a much better choice for this than Pfister and I hope they work together again, visuals - fuck yeah!

9/10

The rotating reattachment scene is the best thing I've seen this year at least.

• Like 8

Everyone knew that the "ghost" was Cooper the whole time right?   That wasn't supposed to be a big reveal or anything I hope, because I saw that coming a mile away light years away.

I didn't see it coming at the start, but the moment Cooper ejected his pod it was pretty clear that was what they were going to do. I figured Cooper was sending the message from the wormhole, but not that he was the ghost.

Edited by grim22

The biggest question is who are "they" ?

I read theories on the film and it seems that they is us ( the 5d beings), 3 billion years (give or take) into the future.

Who created the singularities, the wormhole near Saturn, the blackhole and the tesseract where Cooper can transcend space and time and communicate to his daughter the gravity magic quantic formula that ulitimately saves mankind ?