kayumanggi

THE FINEST HOURS | 01.29.16 | Disney | final domestic gross: $27,569,558

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

Too many knee jerk reactions here.  One recent movie that takes place on the sea bombs and now the other will too?  Nope, I don't buy it.  I think it opens well and has good legs.

Movies that take place largely in the seas have long had a shaky box office history. The Perfect Storm was huge, yes, but then Poseidon was also a massive bomb. Given the number of times Disney has shifted this around the release schedule and the mostly muted marketing efforts, it appears to have more in common with the bombs.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

LOL the ads are now calling this The Finest Hours: The Impossible Rescue. It's like when Warner Bros. tried to correct Edge of Tomorrow's marketing campaign by making the tagline ("Live. Die. Repeat.") a part of the flimsy and vague actual title that they settled on.

Well this movie must be tracking horribly. We have 3 IMAX screens in Portland and last week, the manager at my theater told me TFA loses its IMAX screen to Finest Hours this weekend. Another theater also had it listed as taking over. The third was unlisted, no confirmation either way.

Now, the official IMAX Website has TFA keeping 2 of its 3 IMAX theaters completely and sharing the third with Finest Hours, which out of 12 IMAX screenings in the city daily will only get 2. Disney must figure TFA is doing too well to remove it from IMAX.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Well this movie must be tracking horribly. We have 3 IMAX screens in Portland and last week, the manager at my theater told me TFA loses its IMAX screen to Finest Hours this weekend. Another theater also had it listed as taking over. The third was unlisted, no confirmation either way.

Now, the official IMAX Website has TFA keeping 2 of its 3 IMAX theaters completely and sharing the third with Finest Hours, which out of 12 IMAX screenings in the city daily will only get 2. Disney must figure TFA is doing too well to remove it from IMAX.

None of the large formats have showtimes for TFH on Friday in Orlando, not even at Disney.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
On 1/26/2016 at 6:08 PM, filmlover said:

Movies that take place largely in the seas have long had a shaky box office history. The Perfect Storm was huge, yes, but then Poseidon was also a massive bomb. Given the number of times Disney has shifted this around the release schedule and the mostly muted marketing efforts, it appears to have more in common with the bombs.

titanic_my_heart_will_go_on.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm mostly talking straight up disaster films. This appears to have more in common with things like In the Heart of the Sea and Poseidon (ie no clear cut characters to care about) than Titanic.

But it isn't a 'disaster' movie, at least not like I use the term. A disaster movie like Poseidon has a fictional ship (based on a book out of the ... '60 or early '70 if I remember it right), also the last one was a IMHO not needed remake.... and one year earlier there was already another Poseidon (TV) movie acc. to IMDb. All about survival only, not based on reality, only a few survive typically.

In the Heart of the Sea is IMHO also not a disaster movie per se, had to suffer by a title not a lot of the GA will have connect to the Moby Dick books and movies already made (even if it is based on an involved persons memories, still, Moby Dick in the title might have helped), story also about obsession,...

And that is, what I think is a bit not ideal: the chosen titles of a lot of movies.

Too often not implying anything related to the movie.

Especially if someone of the GA didn't read / know the source material. See John Carter, or what about the Die / Repeat movie with Cruise,... too.

In the Heart of the Sea, yeah, we know at least it is about 'water'. But could also be about a submarine on the search mission in a big sea. Or Venice. Or indigenous ppl living on house boats in Asia.

The Finest Hour? I am all for British understatement

An example of this cost some lives in the Korean War: an American commander, upon being told by the British 29th Infantry Brigade that things were "a bit sticky," ordered the unit to remain in place and continue to defend the river, not knowing that "a bit sticky" meant "outnumbered 70 000 to 4 000, ammunition virtually exhausted."

but I really do not think a GA - not following in general ~ all the upcoming movies beforehand - will get even the smallest idea that title being connected to the probably most insane rescue operation ever made. In/on an Ocean. Something a population can be really proud over, without any possibility of political/religious ... POV coming to another conclusion.

In addition 'The finest hour...' is also in use as kind of abbreviation about that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_was_their_finest_hour

= might imply something else to some of the UK audience, it already caused here in Germany a few ppl interested into modern history to assume it's about e.g. British pilots... in WW II

Not believing in numbers good enough to make money, but not for the named 'disaster' movie reason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm mostly talking straight up disaster films. This appears to have more in common with things like In the Heart of the Sea and Poseidon (ie no clear cut characters to care about) than Titanic.

Have you actually watched In the Heart of the Sea or read Moby Dick? Because there certainly are real characters to care about. And it's not a disaster movie, it's a drama.

Haha ok so I've done something wrong for being thankful? I would like to see this movie. I hope it does awesome. I just am happy that our IMAX still has TFA.

How am I insulting anything or anyone...? Yikes. I'm sorry but there are some seriously over-sensitive people here. My fucking god.

2 hours ago, Total Treecall said:

Have you actually watched In the Heart of the Sea or read Moby Dick? Because there certainly are real characters to care about. And it's not a disaster movie, it's a drama.

I did. It sucked. I felt more sympathy for the CGI whales.