grim22

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi | Michael Bay | 40M on homevideo sales so far (Page 20)

Im starting to think that this is going to be huge. Like really huge.

- The Bay brand.

- MLK date.

- Its coming off the success of Sniper, Lone Survivor, zero Dark Thirty, and Act of Valor.

- Its patriotic, political, fuck yeah America.

- And its coming out at the right time with the current ISIS/radicals situation and Hilary Clinton running for Prez, kind of like Compton coming out with all the current police brutality issues.

- Just being about Benghazi will self promote. CNN, Fox News, etc are going to bring this movie up, and then re-bring up the Benghazi scandal. That creates a curiosity factor and free marketing.

- 'Splosions.

I think it has everything going for it. The X factor imo will be the reviews. Thats what really pushed Sniper and Lone Survivor to the next level with sexy legs. An awards push will really be the icing.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Im starting to think that this is going to be huge. Like really huge.

- The Bay brand.

- MLK date.

- Its coming off the success of Sniper, Lone Survivor, and Act of Valor.

- Its patriotic, political, fuck yeah America.

- And its coming out at the right time with the current ISIS/radicals situation and Hilary Clinton running for Prez, kind of like Compton coming out with all the current police brutality issues.

- Just being about Benghazi will self promote. CNN, Fox News, etc are going to bring this movie up, and then re-bring up the Benghazi scandal. That creates a curiosity factor and free marketing.

- 'Splosions.

I think it has everything going for it. The X factor imo will be the reviews. Thats what really pushed Sniper and Lone Survivor to the next level with sexy legs. An awards push will really be the icing.

It's a Michael Bay movie, it's not going to be getting reviews and awards (other than Golden Raspberry if its lucky).

Also, Lone Survivor and Act of Valor were not "really huge".

Other than that, I do agree that it's releasing at a very good time, given everything with ISIS right now. And people enjoy Bay's films so it should do pretty well regardless.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

It's a Michael Bay movie, it's not going to be getting reviews and awards (other than Golden Raspberry if its lucky).

Also, Lone Survivor and Act of Valor were not "really huge".

Other than that, I do agree that it's releasing at a very good time, given everything with ISIS right now. And people enjoy Bay's films so it should do pretty well regardless.

I never called them "really huge"...even though $125M in January with an R is pretty dang good. It's not all about gross. Act of Valor, Zero Dark Thirty, and LS really started this modern warfare trend and all got good receptions. And then Sniper ran away with it. Now you have this, Call of Duty coming, etc. The fad is real. 

And with the reviews, you don't know until you know. I don't care if its Bay. Maybe it won't be acclaimed with awards, but this doesn't look like something that would be torn apart either. And this year is pretty weak awards wise, so you never know. Guess we'll see in 1 month.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

I would think Bay's reverence for the military would at least keep him from throwing in the idiotic comic relief that usually ruins his movies for critics, and since he's not trying to make a sweeping epic like Pearl Harbor that should prevent a hokey love triangle as well

Edited by tribefan695

34 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I never called them "really huge"...even though $125M in January with an R is pretty dang good. It's not all about gross. Act of Valor, Zero Dark Thirty, and LS really started this modern warfare trend and all got good receptions. And then Sniper ran away with it. Now you have this, Call of Duty coming, etc. The fad is real. 

And with the reviews, you don't know until you know. I don't care if its Bay. Maybe it won't be acclaimed with awards, but this doesn't look like something that would be torn apart either. And this year is pretty weak awards wise, so you never know. Guess we'll see in 1 month.

This isn't getting an awards run of any kind (which Lone Survivor and American Sniper did with their December platform launches). It's a January release hoping to emulate the wide bows of those films.

• Like 2