grim22

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi | Michael Bay | 40M on homevideo sales so far (Page 20)

I just got out of this...

Overly long, emotionally manipulative, and one dimensional Bayflick.  

There are moments throughout the film, however, that you see a lot of potential.  Heck, there's some moments Id say are good moments, but for every good character moment there's two or three that are over the top caricatures.  For every moment that attempts to have meaning, there's stereotypes, heavy-handed messaging, and scenes that play right out as war propaganda.

I'll write out my full thoughts in the review thread.  But, had this been over a different topic, it could have just been over-stylized spectacle.  But the fact it's trying to tell a political story and does a poor job at it automatically makes all of the "subtleties" open for criticisms.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Well as @Telemachos always says if you don't like it that doesn't mean its bad, it's just your opinion. Ain't that right @Telemachos?

We're probably speaking of "good" in two different contexts. You seem to be of a mind that if it's enjoyable, it's good. And that's perfectly fine. Many of Bay's films are very enjoyable. (The Rock is a long time favorite of mine.)

I'm applying it in terms of critique and trying to look at filmmaking choices with regards to the story presented. Bay usually doesn't do well here, since a lot of his style is fairly one note. He does some things very well, but lacks balance.

So, while, yes, it's all opinion, depending on the context, not all opinions are equally valid.

3 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

We're probably speaking of "good" in two different contexts. You seem to be of a mind that if it's enjoyable, it's good. And that's perfectly fine. Many of Bay's films are very enjoyable. (The Rock is a long time favorite of mine.)

I'm applying it in terms of critique and trying to look at filmmaking choices with regards to the story presented. Bay usually doesn't do well here, since a lot of his style is fairly one note. He does some things very well, but lacks balance.

So, while, yes, it's all opinion, depending on the context, not all opinions are equally valid.

I've made the same exact arguement in this same thread before lol. Just because you like something and find it enjoyable doesn't make it a good quality movie in terms of character development, story telling etc...

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

@Baumer @CJohn and anyone else who saw it: who do you think gave the best performance in the movie? Krasinski definitely had some moving moments but Schreiber was pretty great too

James Badge Dale was pretty good as well, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

@Baumer @CJohn and anyone else who saw it: who do you think gave the best performance in the movie? Krasinski definitely had some moving moments but Schreiber was pretty great too

Huh? Liev Schreiber was in this? I must have been super bored to not even notice that :o