grim22

Selma (MLK Biopic) | Free to rent all June

The rap music injected into the trailer might be a way of trying to get Black audiences to come out and see this.  Spike Lee has said numerous times that Black audiences usually don't come out to see serious/dramatic films starring African-Americans.  Even mainstream stuff like The Great Debaters or Get on Up flops, but they see shoot em ups and gangsta movies in high numbers.  Most of the people who went to see The Help or The Butler or 42 were White people.

This actually isn't true at all. Actually the reason "The Great Debaters" or "Get on UP" didn't blow the box office was cause Whites didn't show up.  Blacks are the reason they made the money they made.  There seems to be the idea that when a film with a black case fails at the box office it's cause "Blacks didn't support it".  That's a funny logic cause I watch white casted films all the time.  Why are whites and other races held to a different standard to support cinema regardless of race?  Why are only blacks viewed in this way?  As for this film.  It looks good but I don't like the title.  The title should of been:

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR and THE MARCH ON SELMA or KING: THE MARCH ON SELMA

Martin's name should of been in the title period. 

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

The rap music injected into the trailer might be a way of trying to get Black audiences to come out and see this.  Spike Lee has said numerous times that Black audiences usually don't come out to see serious/dramatic films starring African-Americans.  Even mainstream stuff like The Great Debaters or Get on Up flops, but they see shoot em ups and gangsta movies in high numbers.  Most of the people who went to see The Help or The Butler or 42 were White people.

4243138011_146d519372.jpg

IDK Butler and the Mandela bio pic were hyped up but nowhere good as expected. 

I hope they do a better effort this time. 

It's a different creative team from either of those movies, it's got way better reactions so far. It's kinda weird that you didn't like those movies that every single movie about civil rights has to be met with that skepticism. I hated both those movies but I'm really looking forward to this. 

• Like 5

I think that by actually focusing on the historical events it seems it will be much better.

Also compared to the Mandela movie and the butler I think it's smarter that this movie is focused on one specific event rather than trying to span the entire movement and someone's whole life. allows the movie to breathe so they're not just checking off all the big historical moments they need to cover.

• Like 2

It's a movie with black people in it, obviously it's gonna be the Butler! Jesus H Christ. That's like comparing Lincoln to the Aviator or some shit. 

To me I thought it had the same people behind it.

Realized its mostly the same actors not director. 

• Like 1

I agree they should put MLK in the title. Even I dont know what Selma is supposed to be, at first glance.

MLK: Dawn of Selma

MLK: Age of Selma

Selma: MLK Origins

Selma: Gods and Kings and Civil Rights

Not Tyler Perry's MLK Goes to Selma

• Like 2

Most of it is sarcasm though unlike the Annie and Fantastic Four threads.

Don't think it was sarcasm. Looks sincere to me

Talking about Ando and lordmandeep's posts

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 1