grim22

Selma (MLK Biopic) | Free to rent all June

I think this is a horrible title. For someone like me who doesnt know the significance of what Selma means its a title thst turns me off. Imo it would be like calling JFK Dallas or something stupid like that.

I was confusing this with Rosa Parks.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

Yes, I was. It's not just about pulling Team America, it's about the very disturbing precedent it set.

You're over thinking it. Most people don't even know of that incident since it's all about The Interview & Sony hack.Anyway, I just think it's shallow reason to boycott a movie out you were initially interested because of an action of the film studio towards another movie.

• Like 1

You're over thinking it. Most people don't even know of that incident since it's all about The Interview & Sony hack.Anyway, I just think it's shallow reason to boycott a movie out you were initially interested because of an action of the film studio towards another movie.

Ultimately since Sony ended up showing The Interview anyway I guess it is a futile effort. But not many people knowing or caring about a perceived injustice is not a good reason to ignore it. 

Sort of ironic that we're debating this in a thread about a Civil Rights film.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I mentioned this in the review thread, but the epilogue in this movie made me teary-eyed and gave me goosebumps. It was a PG-13 movie that felt as brutal as 12 Years a Slave at points. It's continuously emotional and grounded by a central phenomenal performance. It manages to be shocking despite being based on a true story.

It's literally everything I was sold on and then disappointed about Unbroken, fulfilled to what I hoped it to be. Truly fantastic.

• Like 2

Jesus, I wish this box office run was switched with Unbroken's.

I don't see the connection? Or maybe because it's a female director? I just don't understand why people b!tching about Selma being a disappointment at the box office and the relevance of it from Unbroken. And put the other movie down. Both films are different. Unbroken is not even a threat to Selma. Sasha b!tching and trashing Unbroken's BO just to prop Selma. No wonder why there's karma.

Edited by boogiezen

I don't see the connection? Or maybe because it's a female director? I just don't understand why people b!tching about Selma being a disappointment at the box office and the relevance of it from Unbroken. And put the other movie down. Both films are different. Unbroken is not even a threat to Selma. Sasha b!tching and trashing Unbroken's BO just to prop Selma. No wonder why there's karma.

Please don't.

I mentioned this in the review thread, but the epilogue in this movie made me teary-eyed and gave me goosebumps. It was a PG-13 movie that felt as brutal as 12 Years a Slave at points. It's continuously emotional and grounded by a central phenomenal performance. It manages to be shocking despite being based on a true story.

It's literally everything I was sold on and then disappointed about Unbroken, fulfilled to what I hoped it to be. Truly fantastic.

Ditto. It's breathtaking to me, and I hate that so much of the conversation around it revolves around LBJ and his depiction in the movie, which wasn't nearly as broadly fictitiously depicted as, oh say.... AMADEUS! That movie straight up said Saileri killed Mozart. Did it make the movie any less a masterpiece? Hell no! And the LBJ stuff was minuscule in comparison. Damn.

This movie was amazing, in every way possible. The snubbing of this, and it's box office run, are absolutely criminal.

• Like 2

I was a little uncomfortable with how LBJ was portrayed, but overall, this was a great film. Oyelowo's performance draws you in the further into the movie you get and it's powerful in all the right places. I do feel like the set up is a little long in the tooth and it rushes a bit through the actual marches, but I'm surprised this didn't nab a screenplay and actor nod, if not director as well.

• Like 3

The LBJ criticism is mind-boggling, to me. It seemed pretty obvious that a lot of that was standing in for the general political obstruction King had to deal with regarding the Federal government.

Plus the LBJ/Wallace scene was fantastic. Wilkinson killed it, there. The audience applauded.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 4

Oyelowo's performance being completely left out of the Actor race is insulting. MLK is already such a larger-than-life person, but he channeled him in such a way to make him more balanced. The humor in parts, his way with his family and wife, the way he handled the activism and the President and worked through his channels of power... DO delivered and then some. It was on par with Kingsley's Gandhi for me.

I didn't have any issues with the LBJ stuff b/c I felt that the movie was drawing parallels between him and King's path, the compromises and sacrifices that both men had to make. Johnson's arc was a but shallowly done, but understandable because he wasn't the focus. The movie's not called, "Martin and Johnson."

I really want to know why this isn't getting more at the box office? Is it because audiences don't want to feel like sitting in a classroom for two hours? Is it because AMERICAN SNIPER sucked all the air out of the weekend?