grim22

Selma (MLK Biopic) | Free to rent all June

I think part of the Box Office (and awards recognition) woes is due to Paramount. They've done some incredibly inept things release-wise in recent years.

I agree. Selma was always going to be a movie which would benefit greatly from awards attention and the media coverage that comes with it. Paramount royally screwed up the screeners issue and none of the guilds nominated Selma for anything, deflating any awards season momentum it had. Maybe waiting a year could have possibly helped. American Sniper was kept on hold for 8 months by WB to make an awards season push, and this year they are holding "In the heart of the sea" similarly.

• Like 1

So we're a year down the line and most of the awards contenders have been widely released. What do people think? Was the competition in 2015 weaker than 2014 to the point that if Paramount had waited a year and actually done a real awards push, Selma could be a frontrunner this time around?

11 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

So we're a year down the line and most of the awards contenders have been widely released. What do people think? Was the competition in 2015 weaker than 2014 to the point that if Paramount had waited a year and actually done a real awards push, Selma could be a frontrunner this time around?

I don't know, Paramount might be too busy focusing on The Big Short in this scenario.

1 hour ago, DamienRoc said:

I think it would have been. I thought it was snubbed last year, and this year it probably would have had a better chance at more nominations. But I don't know a ton about awards and I'm biased, as it was my favorite film of 2014.

• Like 1

I really did not care for the "LBJ circa 1965 entertains George Wallace's ideas about segregation" angle Selma decided to depict, but those AMPAS voters are a joke. I mean, it's not like this was some Kevin Hart comedy and oops, activism broke out-it was at the premiere of a freaking MLK biopic! But it's clear there's a certain kind of race relations movie that makes awards voters more comfortable.