74 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I definitely liked it.

The story is good, but with the superhero origin story some aspects may not feel so fresh to some. (I liked it however as it reminded of a Marvel-sequel origin story)

The emotional aspects of the plot though, were really good which made some for some near tearjerker moments in the film, like Tadashi's and Baymax's demises and Hiro's orders to terminate Callaghan. (Dark even for a Disney movie :o the main protagonist wants to kill the bad guy!)

Like Frozen/ a Marvel Studios film, it does spend some moment being self-aware if genre tropes. I liked that part.

Humor was great, and there was lots of it.

The other 4 members weren't developed a lot, but they were decent and at least they were good enough to be unique.

The villain though, is clearly a super villain, and not just a Disney villain. Army? Check (kinda :P). Mask? Check. Macguffin? Check. Tragic backstory? Check. He'd fit in the Spider-man universe honestly! :D

Visuals were top-notch. Vibrant colors and kinetic movement (especially the opening robot fight and microdot sequences were stand outs IMO) dominated the film. Excellent job from the design team for this and brining to life San Fransokyo.

Cameos come from: a Stan Lee-esque character, Orca, and Black Talon (yup, 2 obscure Marvel villains appear as statues in Fred's room).

There is a post credits scene at the very end.

Overall, I think it was more of a case of style over substance as the movie's already-taken superhero origin feel brought down the film for me. But still, it's good and I'd definitely recommend to animation/superhero lovers.

7 or 8 / 10

Big Hero 6 will win the animated Oscar, that I'm certain of. 

I loved the Lego movie, but this movie has surpassed the Lego Movie. In so many ways, you couldn't believe until you see it.

I cried during the Feast short (that was so beautiful oh my god), then about five times more in the entire movie.

When Tadashi died, Baymax saving them all, The horrific plot twist (in my opinion), the main protagonist wanting to kill the villain and the anguish, Hiro becoming the "Hero", and a beautiful revelation about Baymax.

It was also pretty dark, and bold for an animated flick.

For what the whole movie is truly worth makes it a true masterpiece. I loved how everything went along together so perfectly. This is definitely not your average animated flick. I have to say this was very different from what you're typically used to seeing, truly original in it's own right.

It was a wonderful experience. I recommend you to go out and see this movie. It truly is worthy of the Oscar. It's really damn powerful, and I know it will be stuck in my head for days to come. Hiro and Baymax truly made this movie. All the other characters seemed to mesh together incredibly well too. I loved Aunt Cass! I pretty much loved all the female characters as well, I also applaud them on the diversity of characters. I also loved the post credit scene, Stan Lee can I say anymore? ;)

It had so much heart, it's truly amazing.

This is my favorite animated movie of the freaking year!!!!

I still can't get over how incredible this movie was. One's thing for sure, I need a Baymax. I'll be getting some kind of Baymax merchandise for Christmas.  :D

I give it a 10/10.

Grade: A

• Like 5

This was so much fun. Disney's recent string of success continues with this exciting adventure that also deals with issues like loss and how revenge solves nothing with a surprising amount of depth for an animated film. The animation is beautiful and colorful as expected, and the voice work is great across the board (Baymax is freakin' awesome, it must be said). Also, the short that runs before the film ("Feast") is delightful. A-

Didn't get the short.

I thought the movie played really safe and was generic, predictable and disappointing.

The entire setup of Tadashi and Callaghan rang been there, done that. It was like coursing from plot point to plot point without any imagination. Then the villain rushing around the city like a headless buffoon that no one sees? Him waiting for months to confront the Krei? Why did he even need to wait? He could've done it immediately. The plot was actually pretty bad, come to think of it. 

I enjoyed it for the animation, the concept, the Big Hero 6 and Baymax humour. The attempt at heartfelt moments between the brothers also semi-worked. Callaghan as the villain was pathetic. This whole superhero/supervillain trope/genre/setup is so stale. 

This is certainly not going to win the Best Animated Film unlike the person above stated. It's nowhere near the Lego Movie or How to Train Your Dragon 2. I haven't seen Boxtrolls or Book of Life, if they have any chance at all. Or maybe the foreign film will steal in. It's on the level of the incredibly safe Mr. Peabody & Sherman. All three of the CGI Disney films before it outshine this one. Perhaps if someone more ambitious was at the helm, it wouldn't have turned out the way it did. This is the director of Winnie the Pooh after all. The Incredibles is an animated superhero movie done right. 10 years and all Disney/Don Hall managed to do was animate any one of the dime a dozen origin films we've seen in the last decade. 

• Like 1

The more I thought about Krei and Callaghan, the less generic it seemed. Callaghan wasn't a typical "I want power and glory" villain, but rather someone who wanted to destroy Krei's life, after it was his machine that sent his daughter into the void. The revenge plot is familiar, yes, but the precision of Callaghan's intents was not. The final act also connects to the theme of using science and engineering for good, as Callaghan's cruelty seeks primarily to punish Krei, yet it is Hiro and Baymax who are actually able to pull through and rescue Abigail. The villain in HTTYD2 was way more generic and one-note. 

Hell, Tadashi didn't even need to die for Callaghan to steal the microbots and extract his revenge, but Callaghan is so caught up in his own revenge that he didn't care. This makes the scene where Hiro reprograms Baymax to attempt to kill Callaghan all the more dark and cathartic (seriously, tell me with a straight face that this is 'safe'.) 

• Like 1

The more I thought about Krei and Callaghan, the less generic it seemed. Callaghan wasn't a typical "I want power and glory" villain, but rather someone who wanted to destroy Krei's life, after it was his machine that sent his daughter into the void. The revenge plot is familiar, yes, but the precision of Callaghan's intents was not. The final act also connects to the theme of using science and engineering for good, as Callaghan's cruelty seeks primarily to punish Krei, yet it is Hiro and Baymax who are actually able to pull through and rescue Abigail. The villain in HTTYD2 was way more generic and one-note. 

Hell, Tadashi didn't even need to die for Callaghan to steal the microbots and extract his revenge, but Callaghan is so caught up in his own revenge that he didn't care. This makes the scene where Hiro reprograms Baymax to attempt to kill Callaghan all the more dark and cathartic (seriously, tell me with a straight face that this is 'safe'.) 

I never thought of the villains as "generic". I actually applaud Disney for a creative use of bait-and-switch. You expect the professor to be a wise old mentor character and Krei to be a generic business-minded villain, but the movie turns that expectation on its head and shows the dire consequences that can come from a very relatable desire for revenge. Yeah, Krei's still not a good guy, but there's a clear difference between criminal negligence and murder.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

There are a lot of revenge villains too and those normally all follow the same "I want to destroy your life" plots. The HTTYD2 villain may not be strong either but that's just now personal preference isn't it, "Oh, this is one-note, but this isn't." depending on which story you've seen too many times before. For myself, the Dragon villain could have been worked on more, certainly, but the setup of that scene, of the roundtable, there's already intrigue established with the mask/handicap or whatever it was. Here, it was just "professor/mentor" Callaghan and "shady business man" Krei. When you watch it again, there is nothing even remotely different hinted before the fire. How I deduced was because it was the most predictable setup.

My problems with the film do not lie with Hiro. That moment he takes out Tadashi's microchip was pretty great. That adds to his character. Not Callaghan's or Krei's. Callaghan didn't know Tadashi had gone in, so it wasn't like he was blinded by revenge, he just didn't know so the throwaway "he shouldn't have gone in/that's his fault" is just spur of the moment stuff. One line doesn't make a motive. This isn't your Scooby Doo "why I did this" moment. There shouldn't be any of that. If you want to believe that revenge consumes him, why does he even bother chasing the BH6 around town with the microbots clear for everyone to see when that detracts from him being able to target Krei. Hell, the only reason Tadashi had to die was so that Hiro would have motive for creating BH6. No one even suspects Callaghan, and he is professor, he could've done everything in secret easily, who's going to question him? It's lazy writing. There's no reason he had to do it then considering he would have to wait to destroy Krei anyway.

I never thought of the villains as "generic". I actually applaud Disney for a creative use of bait-and-switch. You expect the professor to be a wise old mentor character and Krei to be a generic business-minded villain, but the movie turns that expectation on its head and shows the dire consequences that can come from a very relatable desire for revenge. Yeah, Krei's still not a good guy, but there's a clear difference between criminal negligence and murder.

You mean you didn't know it was going to happen? The moment Tadashi went in and died, I knew and I don't suss things out easily. The setup was obvious. There have been so many mentor-like characters going rogue already. Krei is a generic villain. Of course he can't outright commit murder, it's a Disney flick. The mentality of money/glory first leading him to the sticks is done everywhere. Yeah, I didn't know exactly why Callaghan would turn out to be the Kabuki so the proof in the pudding had to be great, but no surprises there that it wasn't. He was working with/for Krei and things went awry...yeah. The writing was shit during that scene.

• Like 1

You mean you didn't know it was going to happen? The moment Tadashi went in and died, I knew and I don't suss things out easily. The setup was obvious. There have been so many mentor-like characters going rogue already. Krei is a generic villain. Of course he can't outright commit murder, it's a Disney flick. The mentality of money/glory first leading him to the sticks is done everywhere. Yeah, I didn't know exactly why Callaghan would turn out to be the Kabuki so the proof in the pudding had to be great, but no surprises there that it wasn't. He was working with/for Krei and things went awry...yeah. The writing was shit during that scene.

You must have a remarkable level of foresight if you could tell Callaghan was going to be evil from the moment he was introduced, especially considering the introduction of the obviously money-grubbing Krei later on.

And like being a Disney movie has stopped other villains from committing murder before...

• Like 2

There are a lot of revenge villains too and those normally all follow the same "I want to destroy your life" plots. The HTTYD2 villain may not be strong either but that's just now personal preference isn't it, "Oh, this is one-note, but this isn't." depending on which story you've seen too many times before. For myself, the Dragon villain could have been worked on more, certainly, but the setup of that scene, of the roundtable, there's already intrigue established with the mask/handicap or whatever it was. Here, it was just "professor/mentor" Callaghan and "shady business man" Krei. When you watch it again, there is nothing even remotely different hinted before the fire. How I deduced was because it was the most predictable setup.

My problems with the film do not lie with Hiro. That moment he takes out Tadashi's microchip was pretty great. That adds to his character. Not Callaghan's or Krei's. Callaghan didn't know Tadashi had gone in, so it wasn't like he was blinded by revenge, he just didn't know so the throwaway "he shouldn't have gone in/that's his fault" is just spur of the moment stuff. One line doesn't make a motive. This isn't your Scooby Doo "why I did this" moment. There shouldn't be any of that. If you want to believe that revenge consumes him, why does he even bother chasing the BH6 around town with the microbots clear for everyone to see when that detracts from him being able to target Krei. Hell, the only reason Tadashi had to die was so that Hiro would have motive for creating BH6. No one even suspects Callaghan, and he is professor, he could've done everything in secret easily, who's going to question him? It's lazy writing. There's no reason he had to do it then considering he would have to wait to destroy Krei anyway.

Answers to the bolded questions and comments.

A.) Because the Big Hero 6 may very well have exposed him to the rest of the San Fransokyo. They weren't a distraction for Callaghan, but rather an extra hurdle. Also, Hiro wasn't just motivated by Tadashi's death. They legitimately believed this guy was going to be a "ZOMG TAKE OVER THE WORLD YIP YIP" kind of villian.

B.) Callaghan didn't even know about the microbots until the presentation, so there really wasn't much for him to do before then beyond plan his revenge quietly, and the fire gave him a chance to fake his own death. You can't blame people for not believing a dead person was the culprit. 

• Like 1

Finally decided to give my review in here.......

First off I loved the animation! It was so gorgeous! The scene with Hiro inside the portal with Baymax trying to save the daughter was especially beautiful! One of the best animated sequences I have ever seen in an animated film! I don't think I blinked once while that scene was taking place as I was so mesmerized by the amazingness of how it looked! 

Speaking of that scene, when Baymax sacrificed himself, I was in tears. It really got to me and made me realize just how much I loved Baymax in the movie! When he returned later on I was in tears again, but this time is was happy tears! I just loved Baymax so much! I think he is already one of my favorite Disney Animated Characters of all-time! 

The story as a whole was filled with excitement, laughter, and emotion. Besides Baymax, I thought Fred was the funniest character! I was happy that all of the members of Big Hero 6 got a moment or moments to shine. With the story focusing on Hiro, I wasn't sure they would, but luckily they did. All of them had very distinct personality which made them all fun characters that I would love to see more of. 

The villain plot was slightly cliched, but not enough to bother me. It was different enough to not be a 1-note retread of what you would typically see in a movie like this. Thinking back, I am kinda shocked they had him actually kill Hiro's brother. I am glad Disney didn't shy away from this as it added weight to the story and his character. Not only that, but it added another really emotion element to the film. Seeing Hiro's reaction to it had me in tears and it added so much to the Hiro/Baymax relationship. I feel like after Hiro watched the video of his brother testing Baymax,  Baymax became like a new brother to Hiro. I really saw there relationship as more like brothers rather than friends which is one reason why Baymax's sacrifice later in the film made me cry so much.

One this I really loved about this film was the Stan Lee cameo. Having him as Fred's father was a great move. The after credits scene was hilarious! As a long time Marvel comics fan it was just a true mark out moment hearing Stan voice a cartoon character on film! It really looked like him to, so props to the animators. 

I could go on about the film, but I don't want to type forever. Thinking about this film, I think I even liked it more than Frozen which I loved! It stands atop as my favorite animated film of the year and in my top 5 overall!

I would give it an....

A(95)

• Like 3

Just got back. A fun visual treat from WDA, with a lot of fun comic book-ish action, goofy humor, and a lot of heart. Unfortunately it doesn't quite develop the characters enough for me. The entire last act could have used more time instead of rushing the climax. I think another 15 minutes or so there could have made a world of difference.

I liked it, didn't love it. B

• Like 2