grim22

Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series | AppleTV+ | AVAILABLE NOW

http://www.thewrap.com/interstellars-jonah-nolan-developing-foundation-series-for-hbo-wbtv-exclusive/

HBO and Warner Bros. TV are teaming to produce a series based on Isaac Asimov's “Foundation” trilogy that will be written and produced by “Interstellar” writer Jonathan Nolan, multiple individuals familiar with the project have told TheWrap.

Nolan, who is already working with HBO on “Westworld,” has been quietly developing the project for the last several months. He recently tipped his hand to Indiewire, which asked him, ‘what's the one piece of science fiction you truly love that people don't know enough about?’

“Well, I fucking love the ‘Foundation’ novels by Isaac Asimov. They're certainly not well-known, but that's a set of books I think everyone would benefit from reading. That's a set of books where the influence they have is just fucking massive. They have many imitators and many have been inspired by them, but go back and read those, and there are some ideas in those that'll set your fucking hair on fire,” Nolan told Indiewire.

• Like 4

Battlestar Galactica showed that you can have great FX in a tv show (and presumably a reasonable budget).  I know nothing about Foundation but based on the genre and those involved, I'm looking forward to this miniseries.

I assume they'll beef up the action a bit. It still should be interesting:

The Galactic Empire is in a period of decline (think the end of the Roman Empire). Hari Seldon, a genius in the field of psychohistory (a combination of psychology, history, anthropology, and social studies), is convinced he knows when the Empire will fall, and his data reveals that there'll be a Dark Age lasting 30,000 years. However, if humanity collectively follows a careful path that he's calculated, he can reduce the period to 1,000 years.

The Foundation is set up to follow Seldon's path. The series is a collection of short stories and novelettes packaged into several novels, detailing the various crises the Foundation faces (initially, local bandits and warlords, escalating to bigger and greater threats of all sorts -- both physical and otherwise).

Some aspects of Star Wars are heavily influenced by the Foundation saga: for example, the hub of the Galactic Empire is a planet called Trantor that's one giant city. Sound familiar?

Spacebattle.jpg

• Like 2

The Galactic Empire is in a period of decline (think the end of the Roman Empire). Hari Seldon, a genius in the field of psychohistory (a combination of psychology, history, anthropology, and social studies), is convinced he knows when the Empire will fall, and his data reveals that there'll be a Dark Age lasting 30,000 years. However, if humanity collectively follows a careful path that he's calculated, he can reduce the period to 1,000 years.

The Foundation is set up to follow Seldon's path. The series is a collection of short stories and novelettes packaged into several novels, detailing the various crises the Foundation faces (initially, local bandits and warlords, escalating to bigger and greater threats of all sorts -- both physical and otherwise).

Some aspects of Star Wars are heavily influenced by the Foundation saga: for example, the hub of the Galactic Empire is a planet called Trantor that's one giant city. Sound familiar?

Spacebattle.jpg

Uhh....Tattooine?

On 11/12/2014 at 0:31 AM, AndyLL said:

One of my favorite book series.  

However my recollection of it brings to mind that the story is a bit slow and plodding for TV.

LOL... I just said in the CC thread that it wouldn't make a good movie but would fit TV better.

So young and clueless back then.

a genius in the field of psychohistory (a combination of psychology, history, anthropology, and social studies)

Actually I would say that psychohistory was the ability to turn those soft sciences into hard sciences that followed cardinal rules and could be modeled using mathematics.  

As part of its yet-to-launch TV streaming lineup, Apple will develop a series based on Isaac Asimov's highly influential Foundation series of sci-fi novels, both Deadline and Variety report.

The series will be helmed by screenwriters and producers David S. Goyer and Josh Friedman, who have individually and previously worked on numerous superhero films and TV series such as Batman Begins, as well as the Terminator franchise. It will be produced by Skydance Television, which is also responsible for the Netflix sci-fi series Altered Carbon.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/asimovs-foundation-will-be-a-tv-series-on-apples-streaming-platform/

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 3:25 PM, Telemachos said:

Spacebattle.jpg

When I saw COruscant in  "Attack Of the Clones"  I thought...."Stealing from Asimov, are we, George?".

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 1:55 PM, DeeCee said:

It would never really have worked as a movie but done right I think it should be good as TV show.

If they stick to the books and keep the ephaisis on politics and intrigue and not make it into a shoot em up. Asimov very deliberately had the battles in the Foundatation novels happen "off screen " so to speak. he does not give any detailed descriptions of the battles, just who won and shows the impact they have. He did not want to write another action heavy space opera, which even in 1941 were a flood on the science fiction market.

Now who will they cast as Hari Seldon...