kayumanggi

STRANGE MAGIC | 01.23.15 | Disney | final domestic gross: $12,429,583

Well, the fact this is also announced two months before release without a trailer is also very telling. It's very hard for a film to make money if there is no marketing push.

How to not lose more money: don't spend too much marketing a movie. Maybe this had to be released theatrically, cause...something something tax breaks Singapore blah blah blah...plus I hear George Lucas thought it was great...so...probably sucks.

• Like 2

yeah definitely a burn off, not even a trailer.The Nut Job had some marketing on it at least so it did  decent on January

Oh, I'm sure there will be some trailer but it's not going to be much considering the timing.

:what:

The next Delgo?

You're not far off...not far at all.... Instead of dumping this in January, Disney would be wise to dig a deep, deep hole in the ground and drop this in it--I mean that literally. Just take the full write-down--who cares? This is embarrassing for everybody involved, especially Lucasfilm. Don't do this before Star Wars: The Force Awakens is released. :sadno:

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2

Wow this was actually worse than I was expecting. Unless it manages somehow to be effectively funny (I feel it is more likely that Home is actually funny) it is the Shrek 3 territory. January is too good for this.

It is a shame, the film actually looks different enough from other animated films out there, and I would love a fantasy fairy musical inspired by Midsummer Night's Dream that was actually good (like if was made by WDAS for example).

• Like 3

I honestly have no idea what was supposed to be going on in the last 45 seconds of that trailer. It's like they just gave up and threw random scenes in there.

It really felt like the plan was to just throw as many jokes as possible into the trailer and hope that one of them appeals to kids.

And honestly, that plan might actually turn out to be successful. If they can figure out which of those gags work, they can put them in 30-second commercials and I think they'll get kids to go see this movie.

Wow... that did not look good. A watered-down version of Epic?

I don't know about Delgo numbers, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did Legends of Oz #s...

Feels like a very bad mixup of Epic and a Shrek kind of humor.

Lucas seems to be stuck in the past.

And Will Shakespeare is turning over in his grave on how the have messed up "A Midsummer's Night Dream".....

And God,how many pop songs are they going to use in a movie where they really don't belong?

I got a sick feeling that the only reason Disney is releasing this is because they have a contractual obligation with Lucas to do so, but they are going to spend as little money as possible on marketing to cut their losses.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

And Will Shakespeare is turning over in his grave on how the have messed up "A Midsummer's Night Dream".....

And God,how many pop songs are they going to use in a movie where they really don't belong?

I got a sick feeling that the only reason Disney is releasing this is because they have a contractual obligation with Lucas to do so, but they are going to spend as little money as possible on marketing to cut their losses.

I've gotta agree with this.  I can't imagine them doing anything for this movie if they're not obligated, and they make it very clear that this is Lucas' film not their own.  I don't think they could distance themselves more from this, even though they probably want to.

This is really disappointing.  I love A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

"From the mind of George Lucas"

Note that this is followed shortly by a character waggling his rear end.

...Disney is pretty much trying to distance themselves as far as possible it seems.

I don't blame them, and clearly they're willing to throw Lucas and Lucasfilm under the bus to do it (not that this isn't deserved, it's just that this movie should have been abandoned entirely instead of being completed and released). For that matter so is the director, Gary Rydstrom, effectively, who emphasizes that this is a Lucasfilm project that shows what they can do:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/strange-magic-trailer-george-lucass-new-animated-103199541212.html

Note that in the URL Lucas is spelled with an extra 's'. What? I didn't do it. ;)

He seems quite glad that he didn't have to make a movie by committee (partially) like Pixar and WDAS do. Maybe that's because he would have been removed by Lasseter--just sayin'. Brenda Chapman didn't like that, either, and she worked on this movie, too. Yeah, this'll show him. :unsure:

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against directors being fully in charge of their movies in principle, but this movie isn't exactly the greatest argument for it (frankly there aren't many in this business--just sayin').