Avatree

The IMAX General Discussion Thread

LOl lol Alfred at that last part. Yep WB proably spent the least right? lol

Welll hopefully it rebounds OS nicely and yep going to see it in Imax.. And you know me Im a sucker for a have decent epic that can take your mind on a ride on those IMax screens. Did you see yours in those UK giant Screens my friend of 50-60+ feet or even bigger? I think you all have the Super Imax in London like NYs lincoln Square right?

Yeah, the IMAX in London is massive. I'd love to see a film on it - never watched a film on an IMAX screen except for short videos in a science museum haha.

This is a size chart of (nearly) all the IMAX screens in the UK, biggest one is that pink border on the outside. 85x66 feet:2n1cisx.jpg

It looks huge!

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 2

Yeah, the IMAX in London is massive. I'd love to see a film on it - never watched a film on an IMAX screen except for short videos in a science museum haha.

This is a size chart of (nearly) all the IMAX screens in the UK, biggest one is that pink border on the outside. 85x66 feet:2n1cisx.jpg

It looks huge!

maxresdefault.jpg

Yep thats it 85 feet high.. Lincoln Squares Imax I think is 100+ feet wide, but  I will have to check. Some of my friends have no clue Tree that there are super Imaxes that take giving you an experience to a whole new level..lol

Nice Nice.. Try to go to see Interstellar and Juggernaut 2016 especially on these screens. Also Avengers 2

• Like 1

Wow the Mega Imax at Lincoln Sq is the worlds biggest.  We got you by 15 feet in height and 12 feet in width

Dolby Digital, SDDS 8-channel, and DTS. Perhaps the facility’s most attention-grabbing feature was the Sony IMAX Theatre. Billed in advertisements of the time as “The 8-Story Wonder of the World”, the theatre featured 600 seats (not included in the nine-screen total cited above), the United States' largest theatrical screen measuring 100' by 80', and was reached by means of what was claimed to be the world’s largest free-standing escalator. It was the first IMAX theatre in the U.S. to be operated by a major exhibition circuit and also the first to exhibit 3-D films in the large screen format. The debut IMAX features were “The Last Buffalo”, which had previously been exhibited, and the premiere engagement of “Into the Deep”. On April 21, 1995, the theatre pre

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/7222

It looks huge!

maxresdefault.jpg

The Empire Leicester Sq Screen is pretty massive too.

If it wasn't for this, I would have never known the difference.

• Like 1

Yep thats it 85 feet high.. Lincoln Squares Imax I think is 100+ feet wide, but  I will have to check. Some of my friends have no clue Tree that there are super Imaxes that take giving you an experience to a whole new level..lol

Nice Nice.. Try to go to see Interstellar and Juggernaut 2016 especially on these screens. Also Avengers 2

Unfortunately here in the UK, there aren't very many IMAX cinemas, only 20 or so, compared to the hundreds in the US. It's not very easy to get to an IMAX - it would cost me about £60 ($100) for the travel cost + one ticket. It would take up an entire afternoon and evening, so then there's food to buy etc as well. It's really time consuming and expensive, in other words!

My first IMAX film will be Episode 7. I will absolutely fork out the money and haul myself down to London to see that on opening night; and I don't see myself going to an IMAX showing any time before then.

I wanted to watch Pacific Rim in IMAX, and I had the opportunity as I was in NYC for a week in summer 2013, it's just my parents didn't let me go as I'd already seen the film back home  :(

Also what's Juggernaut?

Too low. I'm predicting sub-40%, since who really wants to see Dumb and Dumber To? Nothing is coming out this weekend :P

Half joking: I 

am predicting a sub-40% drop, but I could see it dropping up to 55%. It's really a crapshoot.

Sub-40 makes sense. Even if Interstellar is particularly front-loaded due to Nolan's fans, that should have been the same for Inception, and that film managed to stay down at 32%. (It also had a $36m film opening on second weekend, that Interstellar won't be facing)

edit: Sorry Tele

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 1

Wow the Mega Imax at Lincoln Sq is the worlds biggest. We got you by 15 feet in height and 12 feet in width

Dolby Digital, SDDS 8-channel, and DTS. Perhaps the facility’s most attention-grabbing feature was the Sony IMAX Theatre. Billed in advertisements of the time as “The 8-Story Wonder of the World”, the theatre featured 600 seats (not included in the nine-screen total cited above), the United States' largest theatrical screen measuring 100' by 80', and was reached by means of what was claimed to be the world’s largest free-standing escalator. It was the first IMAX theatre in the U.S. to be operated by a major exhibition circuit and also the first to exhibit 3-D films in the large screen format. The debut IMAX features were “The Last Buffalo”, which had previously been exhibited, and the premiere engagement of “Into the Deep”. On April 21, 1995, the theatre pre

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/7222

Actually Imax in Sydney Australia is worlds biggest,then Lincoln square,#3 is Imax in Melbourne Australia then from memory BFI in London is 4th

• Like 7

Rth, where does the Chinese stack up?

This is the data endedup finding on file, need to check some updates

1-Imax Darling Harbour , Sydney Australia            117.1ft x 97.4 (11405) (49% bigger than #2)

2-Imax Melbourne Museum, Melbourne Australia  100ft x 76 (7600)

3-AMC Lincoln Square                                             97ftx 76 (7372)

Now there are reports that Metreon in SF is same as LS and also with Melbourne it apparently is slight longer in width but same height as others

4-SM Mall of Asia, Manila                                           108ft x65ft (7020)

5-Prasads Imax Hyderbad India                                 95ft x72 (6840) (one of the highest grossing cinemas in the world)

6-Miramar Imax Taipei                                                91ft x 68 (6188)

7-CS Warren 14, Moore OK                                      100ft x 60(6000)  (reported as being world biggest digital Imax)

8-BFI London                                                            85ft x 65 (5525)

9-CS Warren West 17, Witchita KS                            90ft x 60 (5400)

10- Pac TCL Chinese Theatre, Hollywood                  94ft x 46 (4324)

CPLX Scotiabank Toronto Width 90ft not sure height

Edited by Rth-TIFF
  • Like 9

1-Imax Darling Harbour , Sydney Australia            117.1ft x 97.4 (11405) (49% bigger than #2)

3-AMC Lincoln Square                                             97ftx 76 (7372)

Now there are reports that Metreon in SF is same as LS and also with Melbourne it apparently is slight longer in width but same height as others

4-SM Mall of Asia, Manila                                           108ft x65ft (7020)

5-Prasads Imax Hyderbad India                                 95ft x72 (6840) (one of the highest grossing cinemas in the world)

6-Miramar Imax Taipei                                                91ft x 68 (6188)

7-CS Warren 14, Moore OK                                      100ft x 60(6000)  (reported as being world biggest digital Imax)

8-BFI London                                                            85ft x 65 (5525)

Prasadz IMAX is awesome, by far the best screen in all of India. The theater complex on the other hand is awful.

• Like 4

Ah, I knew the width was relatively high, but obviously the height is much smaller than traditional IMAXs.

• Like 1

I don't quite understand this LieMAX stuff; I hadn't heard of it before today.

Is IMAX not just a bigger screen? I don't really understand how film works but I thought all movies are shown (and shot) digitally nowadays, and I can't imagine that IMAX cinemas get exclusive access to higher-resolution movies. I think I can wrap my head around the idea that sections of films shot with IMAX cameras are better quality in an IMAX cinema, but that's only for a small amount of the film. For the majority of a film, isn't it just the same as normal, but bigger?

I don't see the difference between an IMAX cinema and a fake IMAX cinema when they both show the same film.

Sorry for sounding stupid :P

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 2

I don't quite understand this LieMAX stuff; I hadn't heard of it before today.

Is IMAX not just a bigger screen? I don't really understand how film works but I thought all movies are shown (and shot) digitally nowadays, and I can't imagine that IMAX cinemas get exclusive access to higher-resolution movies. I think I can wrap my head around the idea that sections of films shot with IMAX cameras are better quality in an IMAX cinema, but that's only for a small amount of the film. For the majority of a film, isn't it just the same as normal, but bigger?

I don't see the difference between an IMAX cinema and a fake IMAX cinema when they both show the same film.

Sorry for sounding stupid :P

Traditional IMAX cameras and projectors use 15-perf 70mm film run horizontally to maximize image size (compared to 5-perf or 8-perf 70mm, which is run vertically through the cameras/projectors and used famously on movies like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA).

This picture shows the variation (and image size, to scale) of 35mm and the various 70mm versions:

frame_comparison_1_0.jpg

As you can see, 15/70 film has a very square aspect ratio, so traditional IMAX theaters built their screens that way: very large and very square.

In recent years, IMAX has expanded its brand into many non-traditional theaters. The resulting theater is branded as IMAX, but although it has a large screen, it's still just a (large) conventional screen. And, because the theaters aren't completely rebuilt from scratch, the screens are smaller than traditional IMAX theaters... yet they're still branded as IMAX. These smaller screens tend to also have digital projection -- although even the traditional IMAX theaters have mostly converted over at this point.

Some clever person dubbed these smaller IMAX venues "LieMAX" because they're not "real IMAX"... and the nickname stuff. The difference is screen size can be very dramatic, especially when you compare a smaller IMAX venue with one of the larger traditional IMAX theaters, as this diagram shows:

screencompa.JPG

• Like 4

8-Regal Irvine Spectrum, Irvine CA                          90ftx65ft (5850)

9-BFI London                                                                 85ft x 65 (5525)

10-CS Warren West 17, Witchita KS                            90ft x 60 (5400)

and California Science Centre

11-AMC citywalk, Universal city CA                                81ft x59ft (4779)

12- Pac TCL Chinese Theatre, Hollywood                  94ft x 46 (4324)

found other data I had CSC,Irvine, citywalk

By width

1-Imax Darling Harbour , Sydney Australia 117.1

2-SM Mall of Asia, Manila   108ft

3-CS Warren; Imax Melbourne 100ft

4-AMC Lincoln Square NYC  97ft  (Metreon SanFran 97-100ft)

5-Prasads Imax Hyderbad India  95ft

6-Pac TCL Chinese Theatre, Hollywood  94ft

7-Miramar Imax Taipei 91ft

8-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto;CS Warren West 17;Regal Irvine Spectrum;California Science Centre all 90ft

Edited by Rth-TIFF
  • Like 1