Avatree

The IMAX General Discussion Thread

I don't quite understand this LieMAX stuff; I hadn't heard of it before today.

Is IMAX not just a bigger screen? I don't really understand how film works but I thought all movies are shown (and shot) digitally nowadays, and I can't imagine that IMAX cinemas get exclusive access to higher-resolution movies. I think I can wrap my head around the idea that sections of films shot with IMAX cameras are better quality in an IMAX cinema, but that's only for a small amount of the film. For the majority of a film, isn't it just the same as normal, but bigger?

I don't see the difference between an IMAX cinema and a fake IMAX cinema when they both show the same film.

Sorry for sounding stupid :P

It's a long story, but the basics are this:

15/70 film IMAX is the highest resolution image quality in the world. It is capable of producing image quality up to the equivalent of 18k in digital resolution. "LieMAX" is digital projection with a maximum quality of 4k resolution. The screen sizes are often a joke compared to 15/70 film IMAX screens as well.

The difference is very noticeable between the two. If you go from a regular theater with 2k resolution to a real IMAX theater running 15/70 film, it is an enormous jump in quality...similar to jumping from VHS on a 20 inch TV to Blu-ray on a 50 inch TV.

• Like 1

So how do you find out if an IMAX is a real IMAX?

https://www.imax.com/theatres/t/ua-colorado-center-stadium-9-imax/

Showing Interstellar in 70mm film so do I assume it is a real IMAX screen? 

Yes, that's a real IMAX screen. This article confirms all the 70mm IMAX screens:

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/advance-tickets-for-interstellar-on-sale-now/

Only one on the list that is a known "LieMAX" is the TCL Chinese theater in Hollywood. They have a film projector for Interstellar, but the screen size is more like a large LieMAX than a real IMAX.

• Like 1

Yes, that's a real IMAX screen. This article confirms all the 70mm IMAX screens:

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/advance-tickets-for-interstellar-on-sale-now/

Only one on the list that is a known "LieMAX" is the TCL Chinese theater in Hollywood. They have a film projector for Interstellar, but the screen size is more like a large LieMAX than a real IMAX.

A really, really large LieMAX: not only is the screen pretty big, it's a huge theater -- they claim it's the "third biggest commercial movie screen in America", and it seats something like 930 people.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

A really, really large LieMAX: not only is the screen pretty big, it's a huge theater -- it seats more than any of the other IMAXes in the world, I think.

That's probably a bad thing though. 900 people is a shitload for a theater with notoriously bad sound quality (apparently the sound sucked even before they turned it into a digital IMAX screen).

• Like 1

That's probably a bad thing though. 900 people is a shitload for a theater with notoriously bad sound quality (apparently the sound sucked even before they turned it into a digital IMAX screen).

The sound system has been completely revamped. Now it sucks in IMAX's own special way. (Actually, I don't know if it sucks, other than it sucks for Nolan-mixed movies). :P (They tore out a bunch of seats. It used to seat around 1,150, and that was after an earlier reduction)

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

The sound system has been completely revamped. Now it sucks in IMAX's own special way. (Actually, I don't know if it sucks, other than it sucks for Nolan-mixed movies). :P

It kind of sounded to me like the acoustics in that auditorium have always been a problem. Interstellar is a very poorly mixed film for sure. Knowing the Academy they'll actually give it the Oscar for Sound Mixing and not VFX (an award it deserves). :lol:

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2

The sound system has been completely revamped. Now it sucks in IMAX's own special way. (Actually, I don't know if it sucks, other than it sucks for Nolan-mixed movies). :P (They tore out a bunch of seats. It used to seat around 1,150, and that was after an earlier reduction)

A really, really large LieMAX: not only is the screen pretty big, it's a huge theater -- they claim it's the "third biggest commercial movie screen in America", and it seats something like 930 people.

Yeah a really really big Minimax(what I've always called them :) ) overall 3rd biggest of the Digital Imax locations just behind 2 Warren ones. It's also the only Imax thats allowed to run conventional film as well so they can still have the big Hollywood premieres of films not available in Imax

Back in the day didn't it use to be THX certified (although there were a lot that were that they ended up letting sound issue go unresolved)

• Like 4

The IMAX in Darling Harbour is incredible although I saw Shrek Forever After on it so I've only ever real IMAX at the BFI IMAX with The Hunger Games Catching Fire, TDKR, Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and Tron Legacy.

Digital IMAX is going to improve with laser projectors and a new digital IMAX camera capable of shooting 8k but real IMAX is still the one

• Like 2

Traditional IMAX cameras and projectors use 15-perf 70mm film run horizontally to maximize image size (compared to 5-perf or 8-perf 70mm, which is run vertically through the cameras/projectors and used famously on movies like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA).

This picture shows the variation (and image size, to scale) of 35mm and the various 70mm versions:

frame_comparison_1_0.jpg

As you can see, 15/70 film has a very square aspect ratio, so traditional IMAX theaters built their screens that way: very large and very square.

In recent years, IMAX has expanded its brand into many non-traditional theaters. The resulting theater is branded as IMAX, but although it has a large screen, it's still just a (large) conventional screen. And, because the theaters aren't completely rebuilt from scratch, the screens are smaller than traditional IMAX theaters... yet they're still branded as IMAX. These smaller screens tend to also have digital projection -- although even the traditional IMAX theaters have mostly converted over at this point.

Some clever person dubbed these smaller IMAX venues "LieMAX" because they're not "real IMAX"... and the nickname stuff. The difference is screen size can be very dramatic, especially when you compare a smaller IMAX venue with one of the larger traditional IMAX theaters, as this diagram shows:

screencompa.JPG

It's a long story, but the basics are this:

15/70 film IMAX is the highest resolution image quality in the world. It is capable of producing image quality up to the equivalent of 18k in digital resolution. "LieMAX" is digital projection with a maximum quality of 4k resolution. The screen sizes are often a joke compared to 15/70 film IMAX screens as well.

The difference is very noticeable between the two. If you go from a regular theater with 2k resolution to a real IMAX theater running 15/70 film, it is an enormous jump in quality...similar to jumping from VHS on a 20 inch TV to Blu-ray on a 50 inch TV.

Thanks for the replies. I can see that IMAX-shot footage is much higher quality! But what I'm asking is, since most films with IMAX only have parts that are shot with IMAX cameras, is it just a larger screen for the rest of the film? For example, Star Wars Episode VII has one scene shot in IMAX, and will be available to watch in IMAX / IMAX 3D. Does this mean that (if watching in a real IMAX cinema) the film will suddenly become much higher quality for that one scene, but just be identical to the regular film for the rest of it?

The Dark Knight Rises had like 50 minutes, I understand - so again, is it just those 50 minutes that are better in IMAX?

And for films that aren't shot with IMAX but are showing in IMAX cinemas, isn't the resolution just worse, given the increased size? Films can look "blurry" enough (not the right word but I'm tired, can't think!) in 4K at a normal cinema, let alone on a massive screen.

I'm so clueless about film display :P

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I can see that IMAX-shot footage is much higher quality! But what I'm asking is, since most films with IMAX only have parts that are shot with IMAX cameras, is it just a larger screen for the rest of the film? For example, Star Wars Episode VII has one scene shot in IMAX, and will be available to watch in IMAX / IMAX 3D. Does this mean that (if watching in a real IMAX cinema) the film will suddenly become much higher quality for that one scene, but just be identical to the regular film for the rest of it?

The Dark Knight Rises had like 50 minutes, I understand - so again, is it just those 50 minutes that are better in IMAX?

And for films that aren't shot with IMAX but are showing in IMAX cinemas, isn't the resolution just worse, given the increased size? Films can look "blurry" enough (not the right word but I'm tired, can't think!) in 4K at a normal cinema, let alone on a massive screen.

I'm so clueless about film display :P

Yes on all of your questions.

• Like 1

Thanks for this informing thread guys.

The only film I recall seeing in Imax was Jean-Jacques Annaud's Wings Of Courage back in the nineties projected in Imax 3D on a giant screen at Le Futuroscope (a theme park based on visual advancements attractions showcasing Imax based technology in 2D, 3D, 4D, dynamic, Imax dome, double Imax screens projecting on your front and under your feet...)

dsc_0240.jpg

but I think I'd find it jarring to see a narrative movie partially shot in Imax 70 mm for certain sequences while the other are shot on 35mm letterboxed, the back and forth resolution/format shifts would take me out of the experience like someone that can't stop cropping and zooming on a HD TV.

I mean I'm waiting for an entire movie being shot in Imax 70mm to pay the full price.(The closest to me is BFI London because the only true Imax theater projecting long feature movies on film was located at Disneyland Paris but unfortunately converted to digital after Avatar release so no Imax film theater in France, only digital Liemax and digital Imax)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2