Avatree

The IMAX General Discussion Thread

I have a question for those who live in Toronto, I'm going to Toronto in january and I wanted to know which is the best IMAX in the city, RTH said in the first page that the Scotiabank IMAX is the biggest one, but I read some negative things about it on the internet. I don't want to disappoint myself in my first IMAX experience.

Edited by Goffe R Swanson
  • Like 1

You'd think the transitions would be consistently jarring but it actually isn't. Most of the time, you have sequences (or sections of sequences) all shot in IMAX, so it's relatively consistent. What Nolan does that's interesting is he'll routinely shoot establishing shots -- or even shots with more emotional meaning -- in IMAX. As long as the shots aren't super quick, and you're not ping-ponging back and forth between aspect ratios in the middle of an action scene, you just get used to it.

• Like 4

Thanks for this informing thread guys.

The only film I recall seeing in Imax was Jean-Jacques Annaud's Wings Of Courage back in the nineties projected in Imax 3D on a giant screen at Le Futuroscope (a theme park based on visual advancements attractions showcasing Imax based technology in 2D, 3D, 4D, dynamic, Imax dome, double Imax screens projecting on your front and under your feet...)

dsc_0240.jpg

but I think I'd find it jarring to see a narrative movie partially shot in Imax 70 mm for certain sequences while the other are shot on 35mm letterboxed, the back and forth resolution/format shifts would take me out of the experience like someone that can't stop cropping and zooming on a HD TV.

I mean I'm waiting for an entire movie being shot in Imax 70mm to pay the full price.(The closest to me is BFI London because the only true Imax theater projecting long feature movies on film was located at Disneyland Paris but unfortunately converted to digital after Avatar release so no Imax film theater in France, only digital Liemax and digital Imax)

Just come to London. Great IMAX and you will likely be a big hit with the ladies.
  • Like 3

Thanks for this informing thread guys.

The only film I recall seeing in Imax was Jean-Jacques Annaud's Wings Of Courage back in the nineties projected in Imax 3D on a giant screen at Le Futuroscope (a theme park based on visual advancements attractions showcasing Imax based technology in 2D, 3D, 4D, dynamic, Imax dome, double Imax screens projecting on your front and under your feet...)

dsc_0240.jpg

but I think I'd find it jarring to see a narrative movie partially shot in Imax 70 mm for certain sequences while the other are shot on 35mm letterboxed, the back and forth resolution/format shifts would take me out of the experience like someone that can't stop cropping and zooming on a HD TV.

I mean I'm waiting for an entire movie being shot in Imax 70mm to pay the full price.(The closest to me is BFI London because the only true Imax theater projecting long feature movies on film was located at Disneyland Paris but unfortunately converted to digital after Avatar release so no Imax film theater in France, only digital Liemax and digital Imax)

I don't think we'll ever get an entire Hollywood movie in 70mm IMAX, but there will be technology in the future that can hopefully come close to replicating the image quality of 70mm IMAX while allowing a director to record dialogue on the set. 70mm IMAX cameras are just too loud to try to record quiet dialogue scenes. Eventually someone will come up with a 18k digital camera that is really lightweight and really quiet. That will be awesome when it happens.

• Like 2

Yes on all of your questions.

Okay, thanks. I know Tele has said that IMAX has its own filters but is the change in picture quality noticeable?

Thanks for replying and explaining, both of you =)

Edit: just noticed my question has already been answered.

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 1

Okay, thanks. I know Tele has said that IMAX has its own filters but is the change in picture quality noticeable?

Thanks for replying and explaining, both of you =)

Edit: just noticed my question has already been answered.

Until you see it, it's hard to represent on a computer monitor, of course.

This image comparison for STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS gives a decent representation, though. Yes, the 35mm image is blown up, but not so dramatically that it feels blurry or super-soft. And here you get a sense of how the aspect ratio will pop TALL for certain scenes and then back to 2.35-safe.

1368548688-GhGQHFw-o.jpg

• Like 3

Until you see it, it's hard to represent on a computer monitor, of course.

This image comparison for STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS gives a decent representation, though. Yes, the 35mm image is blown up, but not so dramatically that it feels blurry or super-soft. And here you get a sense of how the aspect ratio will pop TALL for certain scenes and then back to 2.35-safe.

1368548688-GhGQHFw-o.jpg

So it the middle one typically the size liemax are?

So it the middle one typically the size liemax are?

I'm not sure if it's a "typical" size -- I think it varies a fair bit, but it's probably a decent sample. (Worth pointing out, though, that there are big LieMAXs... the Chinese, for example, is actually slightly wider than the BFI Odeon shown in the sample... it's just not as tall: ~14m compared to 20m.)

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

I'm not sure if it's a "typical" size -- I think it varies a fair bit, but it's probably a decent sample. (Worth pointing out, though, that there are big LieMAXs... the Chinese, for example, is actually slightly wider than the BFI Odeon shown in the sample... it's just not as tall: ~14m compared to 20m.)

Relativity speaking... my AMC IMAX seems to be that much bigger then the normal screen.

The question will be... will the 70mm film IMAX I'm going to this weekend be as big relative to your diagram. 

Relativity speaking... my AMC IMAX seems to be that much bigger then the normal screen.

The question will be... will the 70mm film IMAX I'm going to this weekend be as big relative to your diagram. 

What's the theater? IMO, what makes the IMAX screens feel so much bigger is the height, not necessarily the width (though that's large as well).

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

Hey Tele whats the aspect ratio on the new Digital IMAX cameras?  

Around 1.9:1. They're based on the F65 which was used to shoot OBLIVION, I think.

https://www.imax.com/theatres/t/ua-colorado-center-stadium-9-imax/

I can't find out any other info other then it's 70mm film

Seating capacity isn't an exact comparison to screen size, but at 360 seats, it sounds like it's a bit smaller than the Citywalk IMAX I'm familiar with, but still should be a very good-sized screen.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

Quick question about my home IMAX screen:

It used to be 70mm before switching to digital around the release of Avatar. I'm curious if it's actually proper screen size though. 80 feet wide, and four stories high (according to Google, that's 43.3 feet.)

Have I been going to a LieMAX all this time?

• Like 1

Quick question about my home IMAX screen:

It used to be 70mm before switching to digital around the release of Avatar. I'm curious if it's actually proper screen size though. 80 feet wide, and four stories high (according to Google, that's 43.3 feet.)

Have I been going to a LieMAX all this time?

I think its probably one of the biggest LieMax's. 

Citywalk IMAX is 81 feet wide and 59 feet tall. Much more square. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood

How big is the one in Austraila. It says in that older Imax report NY's is the biggest

RTH ;)

Take a look at page 1 msg #20

in 1994 when it opened it was but Sydney opened 1996 117.1ft x 97.4ft (its basically as high as LS is wide)

Edited by Rth-TIFF
  • Like 1

Wow  I stand Corrected. Syndey has outdone New Yorks Mega Imax alright.

Holy moly.. I hope NY builds a bigger one.. Sydneys is 106 feet High and 128 feet wide.

Wow its 6feet taller than NYs Mega Imax and over 60 feet wide..

Damn(  Jaw drops!!) Congrats to Sydney!!

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/16798-the-imax-general-discussion-thread/page-3#entry1766079