Avatree

The IMAX General Discussion Thread

its correct 117.1 is 35.7m and 97.4 29.7m, either way its huge, a couple years ago they replaced the screen it took something like 30 riggers to do it.

A meter is 3.28 feet. So no 3 yrs ago they put in an even bigger screen RTH.. The Press release is above in my post.on

Seems they got the width on us.. If the height is 97 feet.. Lincoln Square is 3 feet taller..(100ft) :P

And nearly 70 Feet Wide.. Most impressive though with that longer width..

Edited by Superman001

Quick question about my home IMAX screen:

It used to be 70mm before switching to digital around the release of Avatar. I'm curious if it's actually proper screen size though. 80 feet wide, and four stories high (according to Google, that's 43.3 feet.)

Have I been going to a LieMAX all this time?

I thought only Tele had an IMAX at home.

• Like 6

A meter is 3.28 feet. So no 3 yrs ago they put in an even bigger screen RTH.. The Press release is above in my post.on

Seems they got the width on us.. If the height is 97 feet.. Lincoln Square is 3 feet taller..(100ft) :P

And nearly 70 Feet Wide.. Most impressive though with that longer width..

You've got height & width around wrong way LS is 97ft wide 76ft height, Sydney 117wide 97height, Sydney Imax has been Worlds biggest since the day it opened, but you also look at is as feet/Meters squared so what is the overall screen size

I can understand WxH or HxW as in different area(for lack better term) one may give Width first an other Height first

----post Extract  the measurements are  (WxH, ranked by Ft squ)

This is the data endedup finding on file, need to check some updates

1-Imax Darling Harbour , Sydney Australia            117.1ft x 97.4 (11405) (49% bigger than #2)

2-Imax Melbourne Museum, Melbourne Australia  100ft x 76 (7600)

3-AMC Lincoln Square                                             97ftx 76 (7372)

Now there are reports that Metreon in SF is same as LS and also with Melbourne it apparently is slight longer in width but same height as others

4-SM Mall of Asia, Manila                                           108ft x65ft (7020)

5-Prasads Imax Hyderbad India                                 95ft x72 (6840) (one of the highest grossing cinemas in the world)

6-Miramar Imax Taipei                                                91ft x 68 (6188)

7-CS Warren 14, Moore OK                                      100ft x 60(6000)  (reported as being world biggest digital Imax)

8-Regal Irvine Spectrum, Irvine CA                          90ftx65ft (5850)

9-BFI London                                                                 85ft x 65 (5525)

10-CS Warren West 17, Witchita KS                            90ft x 60 (5400)

and California Science Centre

11-AMC citywalk, Universal city CA                                81ft x59ft (4779)

12- Pac TCL Chinese Theatre, Hollywood                  94ft x 46 (4324)

CPLX Scotiabank Toronto Width 90ft not sure height

Edited by Rth-TIFF
  • Like 3

You've got height & width around wrong way LS is 97ft wide 76ft height, Sydney 117wide 97height, Sydney Imax has been Worlds biggest since the day it opened, but you also look at is as feet/Meters squared so what is the overall screen size

I can understand WxH or HxW as in different area(for lack better term) one may give Width first an other Height first

1-Imax Darling Harbour , Sydney Australia            117.1ft x 97.4 (11405) (49% bigger than #2)

3-AMC Lincoln Square                                             97ftx 76 (7372)

Now there are reports that Metreon in SF is same as LS and also with Melbourne it apparently is slight longer in width but same height as others

4-SM Mall of Asia, Manila                                           108ft x65ft (7020)

5-Prasads Imax Hyderbad India                                 95ft x72 (6840) (one of the highest grossing cinemas in the world)

6-Miramar Imax Taipei                                                91ft x 68 (6188)

7-CS Warren 14, Moore OK                                      100ft x 60(6000)  (reported as being world biggest digital Imax)

8-BFI London                                                            85ft x 65 (5525)

9-CS Warren West 17, Witchita KS                            90ft x 60 (5400)

10- Pac TCL Chinese Theatre, Hollywood                  94ft x 46 (4324)

Perhaps the facility’s most attention-grabbing feature was the Sony IMAX Theatre. Billed in advertisements of the time as “The 8-Story Wonder of the World”, the theatre featured 600 seats (not included in the nine-screen total cited above), the United States' largest theatrical screen measuring 100' by 80', and was reached by means of what

Oh Okay I thought the height was first.. Its 8 stories 80+ feet. and 100 feet wide. :)

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/7222

Damn Syndey really beats LS badly in everything , but not too many beat ours in luxury and beauty.....

Check this out RTH and everyone.. :)

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/7222

How big is your Imax by the way RT? You got one of the big ones or middle size over at your location guy??

We should also see what are the sound capabilities.. Im curious to see what Sydney, NY, Cali, India use for the mindblowing sound experience to match their relative super Imax screens.

Li maxes by the way have inferior sound and picture.(Though they may have 50ft+ screen heights-So spend your money wisely all--Checkout your Imax thoroughly to make sure its not the dreaded Lie-Max)

8-BFI London                                                            85ft x 65 (5525)

9-CS Warren West 17, Witchita KS                            90ft x 60 (5400)

10- Pac TCL Chinese Theatre, Hollywood                  94ft x 46 (4324)

Nice!! Ow look at that big one in lil KS.. Holy moly lol

Yeah I like Lincoln Square been there quite a few times Both Imax (been in Imax projection booth way back in 90's) and few times regular cinema including what use to be called "lowes" screen the biggest of the convention screens  (mentioned in the article as 876 seater, 70mm capable etc)

Yeah and with the whole  Wxh or HxW the post on here that lists the UK Imax screens with images the dimensions are WxH, the post the shows LS Imax compared to Empire 25 image has the dimensions HxW  :)

Edited by Rth-TIFF
  • Like 3

I thought only Tele had an IMAX at home.

LOL

Meant my hometown :P

I think its probably one of the biggest LieMax's. 

Citywalk IMAX is 81 feet wide and 59 feet tall. Much more square. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! So I've never seen a movie in real IMAX??

• Like 2

So I found out there another liemax that used to be a real imax. I used work for theater that went bankupt. The new company put in a digital Imax. My theater At least there is now a decent digital IMAX in the twin cities along with a real one.

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 2

Are you certain it's only 40 feet tall? Maybe it's bigger than you think.

The only information I can find on my IMAX states it's "4 stories tall." According to Google, that's 43 feet, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. 

Im afraid it seems to be so.  

Like my whole reality is suddenly feeling warped now... :(

What's the name of your theater?

It's the Portage 16 IMAX. Around when DKR came out, I tried to find out if it was real IMAX, but the only information floating around was 70mm IMAX, which it used to be until Avatar. I have no idea what it actually is though :(

It's the Portage 16 IMAX. Around when DKR came out, I tried to find out if it was real IMAX, but the only information floating around was 70mm IMAX, which it used to be until Avatar. I have no idea what it actually is though :(

It's digital now, but it looks like it might've been a true IMAX screen, albeit a smaller one.

Manufacturer: IMAX

Format: D

Film Type: 3D

Screen: Flat

Screen Size (HxW): 43.6 x 68.9 feet  / 13.3 x 21 meters

That's around a 1.58:1 aspect ratio. 15/70 presentations must've been pillarboxed slightly.

• Like 3