druv10

Tuesday Actuals: Nolan - 6.9M, BH6 - 10.5M

Even with the decline, Shrek in a normal household I'd say is still way more popular and well known.

No one is saying Shrek isn't popular. But Madagascar is pretty popular too. It is DWA's second highest grossing franchise right now.

Edited by Mojoguy

No, what he's doing is saying that the box office is legit and these are big films.  It's in response to fullbuster saying that there really isn't a big interest in the movie.

lol Saying MADAGASCAR III was a hit because it made this big number would have sufficed.

lol Saying MADAGASCAR III was a hit because it made this big number would have sufficed.

But pointing out that Madagascar 3 made 200m more than a Pixar movie released in the same year makes Mad3 look even more impressive doesn't it? ;)

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 3

But the 3rd movie was still popular. Highest-grossing of the three.

True, but isn't the fourth installment of a franchise usually when the DOM box office gross takes a nosedive? That is except for planned tetralogies/quadrilogies based on a popular series of books, of course.

They were both animated movies released by major animation studios in the same summer, and even in the same month. Good enough for a comparison.

Wacky animated comedy sequels seem to be crazy-popular OS, while the originals of the same series tend to struggle at first OS (just look at the Ice Age franchise), so it's not really a fair comparison. And if we're comparing DOM grosses, then Brave clearly came out ahead in that contest.

Shrek has been declining in popularity worldwide since Sherk 2's heights.

Madagascar has been increasing worldwide since the first movie.

Right now the franchises are almost even

Shrek Forever After: $752,600,867

Madagascar 3: $746,921,274

At the moment, I'm expecting Penguins to make very similar numbers to Puss in Boots. That should be the goal for DWA.

I think people are under estimating Penguins.  No, I don't think they will be gigantic, and I think its possible Penguins will underperform a bit OS, but I think it has the potential to be quite big in the US.  Remember that after Madagascar 2, the Nickelodeon show they launched to cash in on the movie's popularity focused on the penguins, ran for multiple seasons to strong ratings, and won multiple Emmys, Kids' Choice and other awards.  My kids will occasionally forget that the Madagascar movies *weren't* about the penguins.

I also think Penguins is going to be a good litmus test for 2015's Minions movie.  In both cases you've got a successful franchise in which the most memorable/popular characters are actually fairly minor ones who are now being given their own movie.  I think the minions are considerably more popular than the penguins, but I think they're otherwise reasonably comparable.  I expect Penguins to do 150-180 domestic, and 300+ OS.  Similar to the original Madagascar movie, really.

Edit - Yeah, I think Puss in Boots isn't a bad comp either.  Beloved minor character from a successful franchise (obviously Shrek (overall) > Madagascar, but the penguins were more popular than Puss, imo) getting his own thing.  I think Penguins will do better than PnB domestically but a little worse OS.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

True, but isn't the fourth installment of a franchise usually when the DOM box office gross takes a nosedive? That is except for planned tetralogies/quadrilogies based on a popular series of books, of course.

The Madagascar films have been bunking the trend, each new movie has had a higher WW gross than the previous movie. Not even the Shrek movies can claim this.

Wacky animated comedy sequels seem to be crazy-popular OS, while the originals of the same series tend to struggle at first OS (just look at the Ice Age franchise), so it's not really a fair comparison. And if we're comparing DOM grosses, then Brave clearly came out ahead in that contest.

Brave made 21m more DOM. Big deal. DWA will take the extra 200m WW that Mad3 made any day.

Anyway, I dislike Brave so I can't help but point out its failings.

Edited by Mojoguy

The Madagascar films have been bunking the trend, each new movie has had a higher WW gross than the previous movie. Not even the Shrek movies can claim this.

Brave made 21m more DOM. Big deal. DWA will take the extra 200m WW that Mad3 made any day.

Anyway, I dislike Brave so I can't help but point its failings.

There. Another episode of hatred. lol

So going by that logic, MU making 460 M more than TURBO back in 2013 makes it even more impressive? lol NO.

No no no. Everyone expected Turbo to flop. But Brave was a Pixar movie with a princess, it should have done better. It is all about expectations.

Usually that's because the 4th movie is when the series starts sucking hard.  The 4th Shrek movie was a sad, sad departure from the brilliant first two.  In the case of Shrek, it actually started sucking at movie #3 but the first two were so good that people gave it a shot.  When #4 was also bad they took a hit, although it was still gigantically successful by any objective measure (it only *barely* beat GotG WW.  Boo hoo).  

If the 4th movie doesn't suck the the series can do fine.  Its just that they usually suck.

Edited by Wrath

Usually that's because the 4th movie is when the series starts sucking hard.  The 4th Shrek movie was a sad, sad departure from the brilliant first two.  In the case of Shrek, it actually started sucking at movie #3 but the first two were so good that people gave it a shot.  When #4 was also bad they took a hit, although it was still gigantically successful by any objective measure (it only *barely* beat GotG WW.  Boo hoo).  

Yeah, Shrek is still very popular even though it is no way near as big as it was when Shrek 2 came out.

No no no. Everyone expected Turbo to flop. But Brave was a Pixar movie with a princess, it should have done better. It is all about expectations.

lol Just because it had a princess? THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG had a princess as well. What happened?

BRAVE did well. What did you expect? A number bigger than MADAGASCAR III?

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

lol Just because it had a princess? THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG had a princess as well. What happened?

BRAVE did well. What did you expect? A number bigger than MADAGASCAR III?

He did not understand Frozen is the exception, not the rule.

• Like 1