druv10

Tuesday Actuals: Nolan - 6.9M, BH6 - 10.5M

All superhero films follow the same parental/familial storyline, and the same villain one.

Besides the Dark Knight, I think there have been no great villains in any superhero film. X-Men are alright but they play a bit with the otherwise stale concept of superhero/supervillain and origin and whatnot.

I posted this in the GTM thread as well (it contains spoilers), but I think it's relevant here.

The more I thought about Krei and Callaghan, the less generic it seemed. Callaghan wasn't a typical "I want power and glory" villain, but rather someone who wanted to destroy Krei's life, after it was his machine that sent his daughter into the void. The revenge plot is familiar, yes, but the precision of Callaghan's intents was not. The final act also connects to the theme of using science and engineering for good, as Callaghan's cruelty seeks primarily to punish Krei, yet it is Hiro and Baymax who are actually able to pull through and rescue Abigail. The villain in HTTYD2 was way more generic and one-note. 

Hell, Tadashi didn't even need to die for Callaghan to steal the microbots and extract his revenge, but Callaghan is so caught up in his own revenge that he didn't care. This makes the scene where Hiro reprograms Baymax to attempt to kill Callaghan all the more dark and cathartic (seriously, tell me with a straight face that this is 'safe'.)

I didn't say anything about money. Sequels in general make 60% of their money overseas, check first entries for superhero films and US is 50%+ or close to it.

But it's still implicitly kind of the same thing. Audiences vote with their wallets on what kinds of movies they enjoy. Superhero movies are big overseas, because, believe it or not, people actually like them. Comparing against original superhero films is also a bit iffy, because the farther back you go, worldwide shares are relatively lover for most films. 

I'm talking about critics and audiences. Americans love it for some reason. Guardians of the Galaxy, Winter Soldier, Big Hero Six were really all nothing special but they get that bump.

There's a reason critics didn't go crazy over films like Man of Steel, Thor 2, TASM2, etc. Say what you will about some of Marvel, but people don't just mindlessly gush over them as you claim. They actually do see the other layers that these films take up. Yes, they're based on similar origin stories, but they give unique spins that make the content come alive. The Winter Soldier included elements of political thrillers and espionage, GotG was a exciting space adventure, and Big Hero 6 is a surprising take

on dealing with grief and respecting the wishes of the passed.

Honestly, a lot of great films are all surrounded by a similar premise, and I'm not even saying that the superhero formula is going to hold up (I think sooner or later, we're going to grow tired of it), but I'm just saying that there's a reason some superhero films are more successful than others. 

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but yeah, for example, I didn't even really like Interstellar and it had its problems but it tried for something more unlike all three of and mostly all superhero films, yet they are always praised.

Yes, most superhero movies in recent memories aren't as ambitious as Interstellar. But guess what, most MOVIES aren't as ambitious as that. Ambition is a valuable asset in films, but it doesn't make a film immune to criticism.

Marvel has also grown stale and boring but everyone laps it up like sheep.

0a5bbe1695c6ba61368b84512074d6b6e1f2c857

The standard they are held to is so much lower and so many more things are forgiveable. It's a joke.

You wouldn't go into a Disney movie and a Tarantino film expecting the same thing, would you? Each film tries to do its own thing, and reviews from everyone indicates just how well it does it. That's one of the limitations of a system like RT. A higher score doesn't indicate a better movie.  Why else would The Wolf of Wall Street have a lower rating than Mr. Peabody and Sherman? Superhero movies just offer fun diversions for people, and if people say something is too generic, they won't really like it. Yes, the standards are different, but grading all films on the same one is also a joke.

And, yeah, I do believe I'm right because I've seen enough of the movies and critical response to detect the leniency to which they are graded. I'm not talking about outright Green Lantern trash, but the very average stuff Marvel gets away with. I think both Iron Man 2 and 3 are fresh over 70% even, there's that bias, I don't know why, but there is, whilst other stuff gets rated more harshly.

Maybe there's just something appealing about superheroes? Relatively speaking, it's still a rising genre, just starting recently to multiply like crazy, so the idea of it still seems like a novelty in some minds, and eventually, people are going to get sick of such movies. Also, you have to realize that ratings retroactively change over time. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't shit on IM2 anywhere, for example.

Another note: you sound just like Edward Norton's character in Birdman.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 3

Nothing wrong with being elitist.

Given how spiteful and close-minded they are I think there is everything wrong with that, particularly when an elitist doesn't seem to be a genius.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

This Week's Predictions -

1. Big Hero 6 (Walt Disney) - $34.8 million -38% 

2. Dumb and Dumber To (Universal) - $27.6 million N/A

3. Interstellar (Paramount) - $22.8 million -52%

4. Beyond the Lights (Relativity) - $8.8 million N/A

5. Gone Girl (20th Century Fox) - $4.5 million -28%

6. St. Vincent (The Weinstein Company) - $4.0 million -26%

7. Fury (Sony) - $3.4 million -40% 

8. Ouija (Universal) - $3.2 million -45%

9. Birdman (Fox Searchlight) - $2.9 million +23%

10. Nightcrawler (Open Road Entertainment) - $2.8 million -48%

Read more: The Weekend Warrior: Dumb and Dumber To, Beyond the Lights - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/weekendwarriornews.php?id=124928#ixzz3IsqaVXGh 

• Like 3

Who are? I think you're painting with an extremely broad brush there.

I saw some of them on some French websites, these people are just horrible and unbearable, when they invade a forum they destroy the friendly atmosphere by being spiteful and insulting, I know this kind of character and how they treat people different from them.

Don't try to play it anti-cliché, that won't work this time.

And many of them aren't even worthy of this "elitist" title given they're not that smart in the first place.

• Like 1

I saw some of them on some French websites, these people are just horrible and unbearable, when they invade a forum they destroy the friendly atmosphere by being spiteful and insulting, I know this kind of character and how they treat people different from them.

Don't try to play it anti-cliché, that won't work this time.

And many of them aren't even worthy of this "elitist" title given they're not that smart in the first place.

Uh, that has nothing to do with anything but those French websites.

Wait in America you call Remembrance Day Veteran's Day? The schools aren't off on Remembrance Day in where I live in Canada but I think maybe they are in some provinces do though.Are all school's off on Remembrance Day in the U.S.?

Lol this is super late but my province didn't have school yesterday. I had the day off.
  • Like 1

No no, it's perfectly fitting, BK007 has the same kind of behavior, not the worst I've seen but still...Yes, being elitist can be terribly nefarious.

All he did was express an opinion that's outside the norm here. You're the one who's calling people "nefarious". Yes, "elitist" is a negative term... but one man's connoisseur is another's elitist.

• Like 5

All he did was express an opinion that's outside the norm here. You're the one who's calling people "nefarious". Yes, "elitist" is a negative term... but one man's connoisseur is another's elitist.

A connoisseur can be respectful and I will respect him/her, but if he's not respectful I will treat him/her as a crap, that's just like it, I don't like people acting like that.

BK007 was traahing young adult films or romantic comedies nobody would care. Say something negative about comic book movies. People get upset
  • Like 2

Calling people "sheep" who like movies you don't deem worthy isn't exactly just expressing an opinion.  It's being insultingly dismissive and obnoxious about not just other people's opinions but other people. 

• Like 9

This Week's Predictions -

1. Big Hero 6 (Walt Disney) - $34.8 million -38% 

2. Dumb and Dumber To (Universal) - $27.6 million N/A

3. Interstellar (Paramount) - $22.8 million -52%

4. Beyond the Lights (Relativity) - $8.8 million N/A

5. Gone Girl (20th Century Fox) - $4.5 million -28%

6. St. Vincent (The Weinstein Company) - $4.0 million -26%

7. Fury (Sony) - $3.4 million -40% 

8. Ouija (Universal) - $3.2 million -45%

9. Birdman (Fox Searchlight) - $2.9 million +23%

10. Nightcrawler (Open Road Entertainment) - $2.8 million -48%

Read more: The Weekend Warrior: Dumb and Dumber To, Beyond the Lights - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/weekendwarriornews.php?id=124928#ixzz3IsqaVXGh 

That would be really bad for Interstellar.