Blankments

PLAYMOBIL : The Movie | December 6, 2019

https://deadline.com/2018/10/anya-taylor-joy-meghan-trainor-adam-lambert-daniel-radcliffe-jim-gaffigan-gabriel-bateman-playmobil-movie-1202480054/

Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch), Gabriel Bateman (Lights Out), Daniel Radcliffe, Jim Gaffigan (Chappaquiddick) and singers Meghan Trainor and Adam Lambert lead the voice cast for family pic Playmobil: The Movie.

Trainor and Lambert will also sing original songs for the film.

The animation-live-action hybrid movie, based on the popular kids toy line, is due out next year. The film will follow the adventures of siblings Charlie (Bateman) and Marla (Taylor-Joy). When the former unexpectedly disappears into the animated universe of Playmobil, Marla must go on a quest to bring him home. During her adventures she teams up with some unlikely new friends, including smooth-talking food truck driver Del (Gaffigan), dashing and charismatic secret agent Rex Dasher (Radcliffe), a wholehearted misfit robot and an extravagant fairy-godmother (Trainor). Lambert will voice the character of villain Emperor Maximus.

Anya why?

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

I mean, it's nicely animated. Jim Gaffigan is definitely trying his best. This doesn't look too bad. Like, not Emoji Movie kind of bad. Of course, if the trailer had better editing, I'd feel better about it.

But this definitely feels like the more 'innocent' counterpart to one of the LEGO movies.

I don't envy STX in this situation. This has pretty much nothing going for it. Playmobil doesn't seem to have nearly as big a fanbase (in the US, at least) as Lego, and considering how much The Lego Movie 2 underperformed, I can't see this getting a big audience at all. If they don't just end sending it to Netflix (which I wouldn't rule out), I would say $20M DOM is the ceiling for this. 

38 minutes ago, Blipsy said:

I don't envy STX in this situation. This has pretty much nothing going for it. Playmobil doesn't seem to have nearly as big a fanbase (in the US, at least) as Lego, and considering how much The Lego Movie 2 underperformed, I can't see this getting a big audience at all. If they don't just end sending it to Netflix (which I wouldn't rule out), I would say $20M DOM is the ceiling for this. 

I agree that perhaps the Playmobil brand is not so well known in the U.S, but I still believe that a good story and a good script is more important than the value of a property. PLAYMOBIL fans are grateful for STX Films, we will do everything to make the film a success.

STX Films has more representation than the bankrupt Global Road, certainly was a good deal for PLAYMOBIL: The Movie!

PLAYMOBIL: The Movie over The Lego Movie 2 worldwide...!!!😁 Who lives will see!😉

As a fan and collector of PLAYMOBIL I admit that everything that involves the film is very precarious, especially the marketing. Missing less than 4 months for the premiere in theaters worldwide (August 7 in France) we do not have a official poster yet, trailer we have only one and very strangely edited.

The budget of the movie is $ 80 million! With the same budget the Illumination does something much better!