grim22

Weekend Numbers (Nov 14-16) pg 39

But where are you getting that they get no money from the international distribution?  Or are you familiar with the actual deal, in which case, I guess it is what it is.

There is no reason to believe they are getting international revenue considering the terms of the deal. WB would not have given up all those rights unless they had a chance of making a profit on Interstellar.

• Like 1

There is no reason to believe they are getting international revenue considering the terms of the deal. WB would not have given up all those rights unless they had a chance of making a profit on Interstellar.

But this is a co-production.

There's tons of reason to believe Paramount shares in international, because that is the standard way co-productions work. 

In my scenario, Paramount shares in international, WB shares in domestic...one big pot.  That is the normal way of co-productions.  I just don't see any indication this is different than the industry standard.  Heck, I can name a movie...made by Christopher Nolan, with exactly that type of deal. 

• Like 7

But this is a co-production.

There's tons of reason to believe Paramount shares in international, because that is the standard way co-productions work. 

In my scenario, Paramount shares in international, WB shares in domestic...one big pot.  That is the normal way of co-productions.  I just don't see any indication this is different than the industry standard.  Heck, I can name a movie...made by Christopher Nolan, with exactly that type of deal. 

Very interesting.

Without saying too much, I think it's better to accept what kowhite is saying.  He knows a little more than the rest of us.

Well, I don't actually know the deal in this case.  He could be right...Titanic actually did function in that capacity, to my understanding.  Reason I'm curious.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

Well, I don't actually know the deal in this case.  He could be right...Titanic actually did function in that capacity, to my understanding.  Reason I'm curious.

I miss you.

I assumed it was similar to Paramount/Fox on Titanic. WB is going to lose its ass if they are having to give international revenue to Paramount in addition to all the future film rights they gave up.

• Like 1

I assumed it was similar to Paramount/Fox on Titanic. WB is going to lose its ass if they are having to give international revenue to Paramount in addition to all the future film rights they gave up.

Well, the rights on South Park/Friday the 13th don't mean much if they weren't planning on doing anything with them.  The superhero movie...well, yes, WB loses out on some money in some ways, but they also mitigate their risk.  Keep in mind, if said film were to fail (let's say it pulls a Green Lantern)...then WB just saved a ton of money.

And WB loves co-producing stuff.  They do it a lot (though their divorce from Legendary certainly showed their appetite to do it less).

• Like 5

Well, the rights on South Park/Friday the 13th don't mean much if they weren't planning on doing anything with them.  The superhero movie...well, yes, WB loses out on some money in some ways, but they also mitigate their risk.  Keep in mind, if said film were to fail (let's say it pulls a Green Lantern)...then WB just saved a ton of money.

And WB loves co-producing stuff.  They do it a lot (though their divorce from Legendary certainly showed their appetite to do it less).

To be fair, I doubt Paramount wants in on a Green Lantern type project. Wouldn't they try to get in on Justice League 2 or something?

To be fair, I doubt Paramount wants in on a Green Lantern type project. Wouldn't they try to get in on Justice League 2 or something?

Oh I'm sure they'd try.  No way in hell WB would let them (ok, I guess anything is possible, but I can't imagine they'd let that happen).  It's probably not quite as sexy as it sounds, I'm sure the contract lays out the guidelines for it though.

• Like 1

Some random American tweets from Americans:

@billyeichner: I loved Dumb and Dumber To. Angelina Jolie has really come into her own as a film director.

@Tatiannamz: Dumb and Dumber To was pretty great. so was Red Lobster.

@tay_morgan9: *walks out of interstellar* "I should've been in dumb and dumber to" - @jkray26 :ph34r:

:rofl:  :rofl: That just wasn't necessary.