grim22

Weekend Numbers (Nov 14-16) pg 39

And Ando starts beating the drum about ratings and reviews as if that has ever mattered to films like DaDT on opening weekend.

But it has been 20 years.  Does that target audience still care enough about this after 20 years?

Edited by Ando81

And Ando starts beating the drum about ratings and reviews as if that has ever mattered to films like DaDT on opening weekend.

The original D&D racked up a whopping 65% on RT despite an absolute classic.  No one is expecting this one to be a lost work of Shakespeare, so while positive critical acclaim would have helped, a bad score isn't going to deter people very much.

• Like 1

LOL at those numbers :lol:

Universal's great with mid-tier releases (Neighbors, Lone Survivor, Les Miz, Despicable Me 1 & 2 with $65-75 million budgets, Ride Along, Lucy, Non-Stop, The Purge 1 & 2, etc) so D&DT opening to $40 million+ doesn't surprise me a bit. Even Ouija and Dracula Untold did a lot better than people expected. 

It's also been three months since the last broad comedy... and almost a year since the last broad PG-13 comedy (Ride Along). Makes sense it would do well. I actually expect Horrible Bosses 2 to underperform because of this. Either that or The Interview. And the sequel to the film no one is nostalgic about seems like it just might lose out. 

• Like 1

But it has been 20 years.  Does that target audience still care enough about this after 20 years?

Exactly... 20 years and it's a throwback to the 90s. 90s nostalgia is getting big as we move through the 2010s. 

Dumb and Dumber is the Anchorman of the 90s (Austin Powers is meh...) - did solid at the box office, after it hit home video, everyone saw it. It's probably the most quotable/rewatchable 90s broad comedy. 

Is Dumb and Dumber 2 still going to open above 30 million even with the poor reviews?  29% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 36 on Metacritic....will the target audience for this still show up in the same way the Grown Ups movies audience will show up no matter what the reviews are?

You never cease to amuse me.

• Like 2

60.jpg?m=1415869250g

Awesome. :rofl:

Some of the stories are really interesting to read with the benefit of hindsight. And also shows just how far film journalism has fallen in the past decade or so, just comparing the articles from the 90s and 2000s to this decade show that SEO optimization and page hits rule all.

Btw, Tele, You must have fond memories of Sony launching this product. Did they do a giant press conference?

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1