Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

I think Mockingjay will hold relatively well over Thanksgiving due to the lack of competition. Penguins of Madagascar doesn't seem to have much buzz but I guess it could attract fans of the franchise in decent-sized numbers, while I honestly won't be surprised if Horrible Bosses 2 flops since it doesn't seem to have much going for it at this point (reviews are atrocious, the movie feels like a wildly unnecessary sequel, and Thanksgiving weekend is usually brutal to R-rated films while family and/or event pictures dominate the frame).

• Like 2

I don't get it.. are we in a box office slump? is the state of the economy starting to effect the box office? does nobody go to the movies anymore? I mean granted the Advertising for Mockingay wasn't nearly as good as the first two hunger games. but a $30m Drop?! this has been a depressing year at the box office. hope 2015 doesn't turn out that way.

There's been a downward trend since 2003. Attendance in the US is still pretty good though compared to the population. If Americans and Canadians went to the movies as often as the Japanese there would only be about 430m tickets sold, compared with the 1.3b I expect for the year.

I think Mockingjay will hold relatively well over Thanksgiving due to the lack of competition. Penguins of Madagascar doesn't seem to have much buzz but I guess it could attract fans of the franchise in decent-sized numbers, while I honestly won't be surprised if Horrible Bosses 2 flops since it doesn't seem to have much going for it at this point (reviews are atrocious, the movie feels like a wildly unnecessary sequel, and Thanksgiving weekend is usually brutal to R-rated films while family and/or event pictures dominate the frame).

You could easily interchange Catching Fire's WoM with not having to deal with Frozen weekend 1, however that's just for that weekend.  We've already seen this year that no competition doesn't necessarily lead to strong legs and strong competition doesn't necessarily lead to poor legs.  Sure, they have an effect, but they aren't as determinate as the movie actually clicking with the audience.

• Like 1

People talk about the quality of the films of 2014 but apart from GOTG and a select other films, no film has really become into the public mind like lets say CF and Frozen last year and 2012 4 mega hits. 

yeah, this year has produced some fantastic blockbuster films "Winter Soldier" 'Days of Future Past" "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" "Edge of Tomorrow" but none have reached Mega Blockbuster status. 

• Like 1

You could easily interchange Catching Fire's WoM with not having to deal with Frozen weekend 1, however that's just for that weekend.  We've already seen this year that no competition doesn't necessarily lead to strong legs and strong competition doesn't necessarily lead to poor legs.  Sure, they have an effect, but they aren't as determinate as the movie actually clicking with the audience.

Well, Catching Fire was less frontloaded than most expected it to be, so there's no reason not to hold out a sliver of hope that this will see a lighter than expected drop (especially with a  somewhat muted opening), since neither of Thanksgiving's openers are looking at any kind of breakout.

• Like 1

Well TA2 is TDKR of the year and in 2012 both Skyfall and TA beat it so who knows what can happen.

50 Shades of Grey will dominate the year, leaving dem Avengers, SW, MJII, whatever in the dust.

• Like 1

Just got back from Mockingjay...as a fan of the franchise I think it was well done but overall unnecessary.  The first hour is a real drag.  The back half is solid but its easily the weakest film of the three.  There is one scene in the last 10 minutes of the film that I found to be very unsettling.  Much more intense than I had pictured it from the book.  I think Moore is a good add here, and did a great job with President Coin.  I think if this opens in the 125-135 range, that's just fine.

The real story for me at my viewing was the Pitch Perfect 2 trailer.  My audience LOST it and knew what it was with only the 'Cups' rendition playing before any cast were even shown.  I know the first has found a wide audience but I think next May this is going to surprise some people with just how high it opens.  I think 40-50 million OW is a very realistic possibility.  It's also been trending on Twitter for TWO DAYS now.  Ridiculous.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 2