Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

AS2 did so good that they delayed AS3 indefinitely. :lol:

I can't wait to see Sony starting to greenlight all those random cheap spin-offs just to keep the rights of Spider-Man a few more years without actually using Spider-Man.

I can see that Aunt May spin-off happening as a romantic comedy telling the story of how May met Ben. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

Chappie seems like the hardest thing to sell ever. I will be seriously shocked if it does more than 60-70M WW. And I assume the budget is also 60-70M.

I can see 20/60M DOM, and 115-130OS with a 75M budget.

I know, but the point is, it was not a hit. "Not making a loss" doesn't count as a "hit", in my book - they need to make some actual profit, too...

They will. Theatrical/DVD/Bluray/Rights should get them at least 200M of profit.

AS2 did so good that they delayed AS3 indefinitely. :lol:

I actually think it was a strategic decision. They were obviously not pleased with the performence of Spidey so taking a break will be good for them and audiences. And it seems they do quite well without francises too.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

I can't wait to see Sony starting to greenlight all those random cheap spin-offs just to keep the rights of Spider-Man a few more years without actually using Spider-Man.

I can see that Aunt May spin-off happening as a romantic comedy telling the story of how May met Ben. 

Spider-May: Heroine for a Day

• Like 1

I still can't wait for them to make, The Untold Story of The Spider That Bit Peter Parker. It's gonna be a huge hit, no doubt. :lol:

• Like 2

They might beat Universal in some years, but I don't think they'll be on the same level with WB and Disney. Of course, it's all speculation, but still...

Disney is going to nearly win 2014 (only losing to Fox because they have less movies) with the least amount of films of any of the major studios.  If they can keep this up when they have as many tentpoles as 2015 or 2016 I don't see how any studio beats them.

I do hope Disney continues to let in at least 1-2 smaller 'awards' films like Saving Mr. Banks or Into the Woods each year with it though.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

I'm thinking 170ish. I'm pretty happy with that number after thinking on opening night it would struggle to get even $130m. Its overseas performance is incredible though. Add in 3D and this thing would have potentially made $750-800m worldwide. Wonder how much pressure Nolan will be on the 3D front from studio executives next time.

If it is a WB film I think he will still be able to chose. Because for WB he is again making lots of money :)

Disney is going to nearly win 2014 (only losing to Fox because they have less movies) with the least amount of films of any of the major studios.  If they can keep this up when they have as many tentpoles as 2015 or 2016 I don't see how any studio beats them.

I debated this in another thread. Disney has such a small number of releases because the only thing they release is franchises or Pixar animations or Fairytale remakes. They rarely do original or small projects. Their number of tentpoles will remain around the same in the future.

It's a safe formula (never taking major risks), nothing bad in it, but no other studio is so concentrated on only their franchises.

As for 2016, it will be a tight race between WB and Disney. Both have a lot of tentpoles.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

MJ1's Flixster rating is already down to 80%. Not good for a franchise movie that just came out. HG1 finished at 81% but that was after months of scrutiny including from the "rent it" crowd who are less likely to be impressed. I think Subers is right that this is going to struggle to reach GOTG's $330m total.

• Like 2

Well, I'm really happy with Interstellar's legs. It's doing amazing business overseas. It's already at $329m. Watch it go up to $330m-$331m when actuals hit.

Should be around $390m by next weekend. It's gonna do over $430m for sure. Huge success. 

• Like 9

You know....I really do like the hunger game franchise. But mj part 1 under performing kinda brings a smile to my face. My love for Potter trumps my feelings for the hunger games series. And it's nice to see the box office reflect that....

Taking catching fire out of the equation it's hard to argue that thg is a larger franchise than Potter domestically. I mean SS did actually sell more tickets than the fist hunger games. Mockingjay pt 1 is only going to do marginally better than DH 1....and potter arguably had far more franchise fatigue by the time the penultimate instalment came out. And furthermore I believe there is a strong possibly that dh2 could end up beating MJpt2.

Not that I want to start a potter vs hunger games debate. It's just that people have always been saying thg was so much bigger than potter domestically. And I think those views were a little premature and not quite accurate.

• Like 1

Well, I'm really happy with Interstellar's legs. It's doing amazing business overseas. It's already at $329m. Watch it go up to $330m-$331m when actuals hit.

Should be around $390m by next weekend. It's gonna do over $430m for sure. Huge success. 

450m at least.