Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

It's just a knee-jerk reaction to the Interstellar WWW thread.

Nah. There was a WWW thread for IM2 as well. Anything that "under-performs" is subject to the infamous WWW label. In truth what always goes wrong is people on these forums getting too hyped up for movies and not seeing the forest for the trees.

• Like 7

I haven't seen Whiplash yet, although I've been meaning to. Hopefully it comes to the Catamount theater.

I've been told that Simmons and Teller are fantastic.

I did!  I said it was great in a couple different threads.  I've got it as my #4 movie of the year right now.

#1 - Grand Budapest

#2 - Boyhood

#3 - ??

#4 - Whiplash

#5 - GotG

I loved GotG but I'm not particularly happy to have it on this list, and I'm leaving #3 blank for now because nothing really deserves it.  If you put a gun to my head I'd bump Whiplash up to #3 and put Chef in at #5 but that would feel like cheating.  I haven't seen Birdman, but Mrs Wrath gave it mixed reviews, and I haven't seen Interstellar yet (and I'm hoping I'll love it but we'll see).

I'm kinda hoping that Interstellar ends up being worth putting on the list and the final Hobbit installment opens with an apology for trolling us on the first two.  The 3rd one has all the awesomeness of the entire trilogy, and between the two of them they push GotG off the list.

Edited by Wrath

Nah. There was a WWW thread for IM2 as well. Anything that "under-performs" is subject to the infamous WWW label. In truth what always goes wrong is people on these forums getting too hyped up for movies and not seeing the forest for the trees.

I remember ST2 last year as well. All the $300 and $400 m predicts and #2 and #3 for the year predicts. It didnt even finish in the top 10 :lol:

What was everyones basis: "its a sequel from a movie that got 95% on RT, and sequels always increase." That was probably the biggest example of wishful thinking that ive seen on BOF.

Edited by Jandrew In The Mist
  • Like 2

Uh, yeah I know, there was a WWW thread for STiD as well and so on. I'm just saying that there is some kind of knee-jerk reaction fueling it, waiting at the corner with trepidation to deem a movie a flop and that it went wrong even before the friday estimations rolled out.

• Like 2

Uh, yeah I know, there was a WWW thread for STiD as well and so on. I'm just saying that there is some kind of knee-jerk reaction fueling it, waiting at the corner with trepidation to deem a movie a flop and that it went wrong even before the friday estimations rolled out.

That's because even the Thursday number was a huge drop from Catching Fire. It's a letdown for anyone who follows the box office, but nothing really went wrong. It's still making a ton of cash, just not reaching quite the audience of Catching Fire.

• Like 4

I remember ST2 last year as well. All the $300 and $400 m predicts and #2 and #3 for the year predicts. It didnt even finish in the top 10 :lol:

What was everyones basis: "its a sequel from a movie that got 95% on RT, and sequels always increase." That was probably the biggest example of wishful thinking that ive seen on BOF.

Pretty much. Some people get behind faulty logic and stay there. Because of pride or it's a film they want to hate on, doesn't matter.

STiD performed well and is just one in a long list of films here that some jumped at a chance to mislabel as a "WWW" film. 

Interstellar or MJ are just others. At least MODS quickly locked down the MJ one. Hopefully they'll be quick on other ones in the future awaiting a few weeks of data or an industry backed article stating, "Hey, WWW with "______" films opening".

• Like 2

Pretty much. Some people get behind faulty logic and stay there. Because of pride or it's a film they want to hate on, doesn't matter.

STiD performed well and is just one in a long list of films here that some jumped at a chance to mislabel as a "WWW" film. 

Interstellar or MJ are just others. At least MODS quickly locked down the MJ one. Hopefully they'll be quick on other ones in the future awaiting a few weeks of data or an industry backed article stating, "Hey, WWW with "______" films opening".

Mmm not trying to call you out, but if I remember correctly, werent you one of the ones that had high hopes for Trek, and thought I was crazy for saying F6 would outgross it? Hm.

• Like 1

Mmm not trying to call you out, but if I remember correctly, werent you one of the ones that had high hopes for Trek, and thought I was crazy for saying F6 would outgross it? Hm.

No. I was not. I was one of the ones stating that if you looked at the history of the franchise that the '09 version was the one that got the series it's boost. That people should be looking for it to dip and stabilize at a lower average, albeit, higher than the average for the prior 10 but that a drop was reasonable to expect.

My phrasing may have been slightly different then, but that was my gist. If you dug that thread out you'd find those thematic posts from me. 

• Like 1

That's because even the Thursday number was a huge drop from Catching Fire. It's a letdown for anyone who follows the box office, but nothing really went wrong. It's still making a ton of cash, just not reaching quite the audience of Catching Fire.

The thing is even fans of the books would tell you before release that Mockingjay the book is weak material and that splitting it was a bad idea stretching it from the get go, making them anxious about the final product. But coming off CF break-out, as release closed by, there was some blind faith that MJ part 1 could overcome those obstacles and shortcomings in a wishful fantasy way that HG could be the franchise with 4 400M+ DOM grosser in a row, but that was wishful fantasy.

So nothing went wrong, it went as normal as it could have been knowing the parameters and the material. A decrease from CF but MJ part 2 will increase back to HG level at least because they will push the final installment staple of the franchise DH2 like.

Edited by dashrendar44

A full $100 million separated poor, nine-digit-grossing Mockingjay from its nearest competition. In Hunger Games terms, that’s like Katniss killing every other tribute and then complaining that she could have killed them a little faster and more violently.
  • Like 6

STID performed pretty well, but its overseas total (and ST09's for that matter) seems pretty low. How is it that STID with 3D made $238m while a non-franchise space movie without 3D is about to make $450m or so? Doesn't make sense. Do people just outright dislike Star Trek in a lot of markets?

I guess Star Trek is seen as a uniquely American phenomenon. Interstellar may be more cerebral but its themes are more universal.

• Like 2

I guess Star Trek is seen as a uniquely American phenomenon. Interstellar may be more cerebral but its themes are more universal.

It's strange. Star Trek has always had the geek albatross around its neck even in the U.S. I had a roommate in college who loved watching re-runs of that show. I would just cringe and leave the room any time he'd put it on.

I enjoyed the Abrams version because it's more like Star Wars. You would think it would have pretty universal appeal given the fact he toned down a lot of the really nerdy shit. But I guess that Star Trek brand is a blessing and a curse.

• Like 1