grim22

Box Office Fact or Fiction: Week 15 w/ K1, Empire and Jay Hollywood. Mockingjay, Peanuts, Horrible Bosses and more

Poll 11/21  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who answered better for the week of 11/21

• k1stpierre
    • Jay Hollywood
    • Empire

Hello everyone and welcome to week 15 of Box Office Fact or Fiction. First off, lets congratulate last time's winner MR.PINK. Congratulations, you win a billion internet points

The 3 contributors for this week are;

The moderator who everyone likes, k1stpierre

The B- player, Jay Hollywood

Couldn't think of a good intro, Empire

Let's get started.

1. Mockingjay part 1 will earn over 400M domestic

hunger-games-3-mockingjay-trailer-breakd

K1:  Do bears shit in the woods? 

Duh. Of course it will. FACT

Jay Hollywood: FICTION. it just has to drop for part 2 to have a nice jump. If this makes CF numbers than My predict for MJ2 won't rise. The part 1 aspect makes it alittle bit less of a must see. I'm sure plenty of people will be holding out until part 2. Also ewww digital...

Empire: FICTION. I think it will open to 148M and and have a multiplier around 2.6 giving it a gross around 385M. I just think the buzz is down compared to Catching Fire and I think it the loss of Imax will hurt it. Also, since it is a Part 1 Film, I think the gross will be lessened as some will feel like it is an incomplete film. The lesser reviews so far will also not help with its final gross. Still, 385M is a great gross and I expect MJ2 to bounce back next year and make close to 450M. 

0 for 1

2. Toy Story 4 is an unnecessary sequel

toy_story_2_disney_wallpaper-1920x1080.j

K1:  Absolutely. It's so not needed. FACT

Jay Hollywood: FACT. Toy Story 3 was a beyond nerve racking experience. I thought it would be the end of the greatness that is Pixar. I thought a 3rd? No way can they pull it off. I was wrong, TS3 is amazing. However after 3 disappointments in a row from Pixar this is where the line must be drawn.FUCK THIS! Toy story 3 ended it all. It was ROTJ/ROTK status. I fully expect Toy Story 4 to go full on TPM/Hobbit.

Empire: FACT. Toy Story 3 is my favorite animated film and one of my top 10 favorite films of all-time. It was the perfect end to my favorite trilogy of all-time. The ended it pure perfection and everytime I watch Andy give his toys to Bonnie I tear buckets. I don't care how great the movie is, it will always feel unnecessary to me because of how perfect the series ended. I just feel like they should have stuck to the shorts and tv specials. Those have been great and didn't feel unnecessary because they are just add on enhancements to a great series and let us revisit those great characters without having to have a new film. 

1 for 2

3. Despite B.O.O. being taken off the schedule, and the Hasbro deal falling through, Dreamworks Animation will make a comeback in 2015

Robert_Hunt_Illustration_dreamworks_905.

K1:   I have faith in dream works, and so I do believe they'll make a comeback for sure. How big? That is the question FACT

Jay Hollywood: FACT. Dreamworks has always been number 2 overall through the years to Disney/Pixar. I just can't see that changing, this is Hollywood, everyone gets a comeback. All it takes is one hit.

Empire: FICTION. I think Dreamworks are in a bad state right now and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I think the only good films they have made lately are the How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda films. Everything else hasn't been anything better than average. I think Home next year will not be good and will only make around Peabody & Sherman money. I do think Kung Fu Panda 3 will be really good, but sadly I expect it to underperform like How to Train Your Dragon 2 & Kung Fu Panda 2 did. Not only that, but I expect both Pixar films, Minions, & Peanuts to do great making Dreamworks look even worse in comparison. I wouldn't be surprised if in 5-10 years they are talking about folding and being no more. I just don't see how they can compete with other animation studios with the state they are in right now.

1 for 3

SWITCH #1!!!

Spin-arrows.gif

4. You expected Dumb and Dumber To to open as big as it did

Jay Hollywood: FACT. 40 would have been impressive and a surprise. 30 would be a disappointment but mid 30's were expected for a film hugely popular 20 year old characters cemented in pop culture. I don't think anyone was too surprised

Empire: FACT& FICTION. I expected it to gross between 35-40M, but I didn't expect it to be #1. I thought it would finish second to Big Hero 6, but I was wrong. I did figure it would do well because Dumb & Dumber is one of the most beloved comedies of all-time. I figured it would have a good opening, but poor legs because of the quality of the film. Still, I was kinda shocked it ended up #1.

K1:   Yup! Even ask Panda! I was only half million off my OW prediction. I knew is would be big despite the RT score or how dumb it was (no pun intended). It's based off of the classic, so no doubt it was going to be big. FACT

1 for 4

5. The Peanuts movie trailer was good and makes you excited to watch the movie

Jay Hollywood: FACT. I love the peanuts, I grew up going to Knotts Berry Farm I and had my 5th birthday at Camp Snoopy. I'm excited and I'll take my little sister to see it. On the quality/Box office end it's far to early to tell

Empire: FACT I have always been a Peanuts fan, but never a huge fan. I wasn't sure if making a movie was a good idea, but after seeing the trailer, I am happy with how it is turning out. I now think it is a great idea they are making a new movie and my excitement has increased after watching it. I think it was a really well done teaser since it was just a little short and not scene from the film put together. I expect it to go over well with most and get people to want to see the film next year. 

K1:  YES! I grew up and watched them all the time since my parents watched them too. I mean I'm not a huge fan, but it does being back the good ol memories  :) FACT

2 for 5

6. Horrible Bosses 2 will open above Dumb and Dumber To

horrible_bosses_two_ver3.jpg

Jay Hollywood: FICTION. it opens during the week so it's weekend will be muted and no matter how strong my love for Chris Pine is I can't see this breaking out. 3.5 years is just a bit to long of a wait. I can't see it matching the first films gross or D&D2 opening 

Empire: FICTION I only say fiction because it opens on Wednesday. If it was opening on Friday I think it would open close to 45M. Because it opens on Wednesday, I think it will open between 25-30M as I feel there will be a big rush to see the film on Wednesday & Thursday. I know I will be seeing it as soon as I can. I do think it will breakout and surprise people by having great legs and grossing at least 200M. I will be shocked if it isn't the preferred comedy by the movie going masses of the holiday season. I expect it to play well until the end of the year.

K1:  No way! Right now I see that doing 20-22Mish. Not even close. FICTION

3 for 6

SWITCH #2!!!

Spin-arrows.gif

7. You are expecting Penguins of Madagascar to be a good time at the movies

MV5BMTEyMDg4MDU4MjdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDQy

Empire: FICTION I have watched all the trailers and seen a few tv spots and it doesn't look that great. At best I think it might be mildly amusing. I have seen all 3 Madagascar movies and I am not a big fan. The only one that is even okay is the 3rd one. Also, I think the Penguins are pretty thin as characters, so I think I film just about their origin would struggle to entertain me for a whole film. 

K1:  To be honest I've only gone by the trailer, as I've never seen ny of the movies prior, which didn't impress me.  FICTION

Jay Hollywood: FICTION. they are not Minions. 

4 for 7

8. The Divergent Series: Insurgent trailer made you hyped for the movie

Empire: FICTION I didn't really care for Divergent much as I found it to be a really average film. This teaser for Insurgent does nothing to increase my excitement for it and my excitement level was already at 0%. It was a really lame teaser and doesn't make the film seem worth watching at all. Just like with Divergent, I will probably Redbox it instead of paying to see it in theaters. That would only be because I saw the first so I now feel like I have to finish the series. This has to be the most paint by numbers young adult series and nothing about it gives me even an ounce of excitement.  

K1: Not at all, I was just like "what the hell?" the whole time. I had no idea what was going on. FICTION

Jay Hollywood: FICTION.  terrible teaser, does nothing to spark new fans. It showed they want to take it to the next level scale wise, but the effects don't look great and Vin Diesel looks much better flying like a superhero 

5 for 8

9. You enjoy watching 20 minutes of trailers prior to a movie starting

Empire: FICTION I used to like trailers, but now I don't care for them much at all. I feel like they spoil to much of the movie nowadays and ruin some of my enjoyment of certain films by watching them. Sometimes I will even leave the theater if there is a trailer playing for a film I don't want to be spoiled about. If there is a trailer I want to watch, I will have already watched it at home on my computer, so no need to see it again at the theater. Seeing it on the big screen doesn't make the trailer any better to me really. Not only that, but if I am going to watch a film, I want to get straight to it instead of waiting through 20 mins. of trailers for it to start. I think 1 to 3 trailers at most would be the best strategy for the movie going experience. Also, showing tv spots on tv and using social media are better ways of advertising films nowadays, so it wouldn't hurt movies if their trailer got shown less than it does now.  

K1: yes!!!! Sorry, but I'm a sucker for it! It's part of the movie feels and being there. I love seeing trailers and what's ahead!FACT

Jay Hollywood: FACT!!!!!!!! Bring on the trailers! 6 trailers or bust. Adds anticipation to the film, plus seeing a trailer on the big screen just like any film is a completely different and superior experience.

5 for 9

After a rocky start, they end up agreeing more than disagreeing with each other.

Feel free to join in and provide your answers in this thread as well. Please do vote as to who you felt answered the questions better. Poll is at the top of this thread.

ALSO, please include any questions which you think should be asked to the next 3 contributors. I realize that most of the questions asked are based on what I follow and would like to incorporate more viewpoints into the feature. Please leave your probable questions as comments, or PM them to me and I will include them for the next edition.

I would like to thank K1stpierre, Empire and Jay Hollywood for taking time out to provide their opinions here. Thanks a lot guys and girl.

I am looking for participants, please let me know if you would be interested in providing your opinions for future editions of this column.

Until Next Time.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 4

Are you kidding? it's still the best way to get a trailer in front of an audience! You're WRONG Empire.

I already explained my reasoning. You can still enjoy all the trailers before a movie, but that doesn't mean they are necessary.

I love three contributors but Empire gets my vote.

Also grimm22, how dare you not give Empire a nice intro.  :P I can think of so many ways.

It could be the residents affable hunk, Empire (I mean who's brave enough to put his own face as his avatar) 

or    our humble and suave comrade, Empire. 

• Like 2