CoolioD1

Weekend Actuals: Mockingjay - $121,897,634 (It Went SO Wrong!)

Money is money. Why should we discount a bunch of it simply to play up the disappointment factor?

It's falling over $100m+ in the States after coming off a widely beloved predecessor and the biggest film of 2013, that also opened better and had a tiny bit better legs than the first film. It's also the first franchise in history where a sequel was able to increase upon a predecessor that grossed over $400m. 

A WWW thread is entirely and utterly valid regarding MJ1's domestic performance. 

• Like 7

What went wrong is probably the audience being fed up with these ridiculous two part franchise finales. They exist solely to make money instead of trying to tell the story in the best possible way. People have had enough.

Insert Network clip. I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

• Like 1

I think a WWW thread is valid for MJ1's domestic performance. Clearly, SOMETHING went very, very wrong in order for it to have a $100m+ drop.

Not necessarily. The first two were absolutely massive, two of the biggest films ever. No series has managed to do 3 consecutive films above 400M (well, Star Wars adjusted but that's it afaik). In the bigger picture, you could argue it's unreasonable to have the expectation that this would do the same. 330M (or whatever it ends up with) is still an amazingly good figure.

It mostly depends on how you define "wrong", but if the What Went Wrong threads are reserved for actual, genuine flops then it's out of place here.

Edited by treeroy

I know you guys are trying to make that happen, but it is simply not gonna happen. 

25m. And no, not really.

Ah yes, because your opinion trumps my opinion. I forgot.

And 158-123 = 35

I'm not saying there should be absolutely no discussion whatsoever about it coming in with a lower OW than most expected, but that can be contained to the OW and MJ1 thread -- there's no need for a WWW thread.

Cannot post in the MJ1 thread, haven't seen the movie yet. Maybe Tuesday.

• Like 2

Sequels used to drop all the time, back in the day. This expectation that every sequel has to increase is a recent one, and it's not particularly true.

Yes, we've had WWW threads in the past, and almost without exception they've been a trainwreck and we've regretted allowing them. So we're holding them to a higher standard now.

No.

It's not that Mockingjay is decreasing, it's that it's decreasing by over 100m from a well-received 400m sequel that increased under all the odds. There's no reason for Mockingjay to decrease that much, the lowest predictions were around 140m/360m type range.

To claim that the drop is normal and something didn't go wrong is kind of silly.

• Like 4

It's falling over $100m+ in the States after coming off a widely beloved predecessor and the biggest film of 2013, that also opened better and had a tiny bit better legs than the first film. It's also the first franchise in history where a sequel was able to increase upon a predecessor that grossed over $400m. 

A WWW thread is entirely and utterly valid regarding MJ1's domestic performance. 

Ah yes, because your opinion trumps my opinion. I forgot.

And 158-123 = 35

Cannot post in the MJ1 thread, haven't seen the movie yet. Maybe Tuesday.

Sorry, I was misinterpreting your post -- I thought you were referring to WW. As to the MJ1 thread, in theory, it should be fine spoiler-wise, though I understand staying clear of it until you've seen the movie.

And as I said before, most of the time when we've allowed WWW threads we regretted it. The IS one in particular is a recent and good example of why they're (usually) pointless.

Eiether allow them all or 100% ban every single one. You can't pick and choose.

• Like 3

What went wrong is probably the audience being fed up with these ridiculous two part franchise finales. They exist solely to make money instead of trying to tell the story in the best possible way. People have had enough.

And Divergent is splitting part 3 into two part finale as well. Hopefully, The Maze Runner doesn't follow suit and just keep theirs as a trilogy ala the original Star Wars trilogy.

It's not that Mockingjay is decreasing, it's that it's decreasing by over 100m from a well-received 400m sequel that increased under all the odds. There's no reason for Mockingjay to decrease that much, the lowest predictions were around 140m/360m type range.

To claim that the drop is normal and something didn't go wrong is kind of silly.

It dropped more than expected domestically and it increased overseas. I'm saying it's not worth having a special WWW thread, not that we can't talk about it.

And Divergent is splitting part 3 into two part finale as well. Hopefully, The Maze Runner doesn't follow suit and just keep theirs as a trilogy ala the original Star Wars trilogy.

The Maze Runner finale is not going to be split.

• Like 2

It dropped more than expected domestically and it increased overseas. I'm saying it's not worth having a special WWW thread, not that we can't talk about it.

Again dragon 2 increased overseas so I don't see how the point is valid. We are talking about what went wrong domestically.

Eiether allow them all or 100% ban every single one. You can't pick and choose.

We're not picking and choosing. This new policy is a recent decision. Shawn has always been reluctant about them in the past but we've allowed them occasionally, and sometimes we've re-opened ones after requests. But we're taking a harder line now and moving forward. We'll have some frameworks about what a film does (or doesn't) do in order for a WWW thread to be considered.