CoolioD1

Weekend Actuals: Mockingjay - $121,897,634 (It Went SO Wrong!)

It shouldn't have either. You guys are stuck on fidelity to the book, which makes a complete mess of adaptation.

lol don't get started down this road

The internet is a place where people freak out about changing a character's hair color

• Like 4

So much this. And to think, he probably won't get nominated at all.

Yeah... LOCKE came out way too early and THE DROP doesn't do anything new enough for awards attention, but its still an extremely well made genre film.  Both are little seen gems.

• Like 1

Sure it could've.

Explain.

The trio leaving their homes? The Sky Battle? Dobby? Kreacher? The Ministry of Magic Infiltration? Ron abandoning Harry and Hermione? Godric's Hollow? Bathilda Bagshot/Nagini? Harry finding Gryffindor's Sword and being rescued by Ron? The tale of The Three Brothers? Malfoy Manor?

Hm, bitch? 

It shouldn't have either. You guys are stuck on fidelity to the book, which makes a complete mess of adaptation.

All of the films took some liberties with the source material. That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is that Goblet of Fire sacrificed character and plot development for cheap drama and spectacle. Splitting it into two films would have helped the rest of the series considerably, as it is the crucial middle chapter. Then again, the best solution would be a series like Game of Thrones where they don't have to worry about watering down the material.

• Like 2

Yes, it was Potter. 

DH's split was justified, though. The story could not have fit into one 3 hour film. 

I agree that the split was justified to an extent, since it was the finale of a decade-long story. They wanted to go out with a bang, so did the audience, and splitting it in two allowed for a more detailed adaptation of the book. I think they executed it well.

However, it's nonsense that "the story could not have fitted into one 3 hour film". They managed to adapt Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince into 2-hour films, and those books are both longer than Deathly Hallows. I'm glad they didn't do it, but it was definitely doable.

• Like 2

Why? Cuz your Dream Girl isn't nominated for anything?

No the slate of films is not particularly exciting to me.

Only care about Whiplash ( loooooove drumming and JK Simmons), already seen Gone Girl and Interstellar.

Boyhood 's gimmick : no thanx.

Birdman's premise and pseudo subtext is getting on my nerves. "Oh this so clever and meaningful and deep and witty !"

The rest of the potential nominees I don't care.

Nightcrawler seems to be great but it won't be an AMPAS movie.

And regarding Jlaw and award seasons, her job is done, she has already won all the big acting awards that exist : 1 oscar, 2 golden globes, 1 SAG and 1 BAFTA.

Ive warmed up alot more to Gone Girl. Ive let that movie digest for over a month and Im finally like "wow, that movie was stupid good." Ive forgiven the ending. Itll be hard for any of these December releases top that. Like Grim22 said, everything else just feels to manufactured for the awards.

Im anticipating Unbroken's release. I feel that movie will be 50/50. Its either going to be a "masterpeice" or a mess. I hope for the former, I think Jolie deserves it. But I'll probably be rooting for Gone Girl this awards season unless something else just really captures me.

• Like 1

As bored as I am by my country's only contribution to film these days being middlebrow biopics, I've heard from quite a few people that Mr Turner's actually pretty good. Can't see it getting enough traction in the US for the Academy, though. 

Y'all also brought us Paddington

Explain.

The trio leaving their homes? The Sky Battle? Dobby? Kreacher? The Ministry of Magic Infiltration? Ron abandoning Harry and Hermione? Godric's Hollow? Bathilda Bagshot/Nagini? Harry finding Gryffindor's Sword and being rescued by Ron? The tale of The Three Brothers? Malfoy Manor?

Hm, bitch? 

I think some HUGE adaptations changes could've made them great films. not just cut sequences x and y and characters b and c. the problem is that any serious or interesting change would be met with stupid nerd rage so they pussied out.

• Like 2

All of the films took some liberties with the source material. That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is that Goblet of Fire sacrificed character and plot development for cheap drama and spectacle. Splitting it into two films would have helped the rest of the series considerably, as it is the crucial middle chapter. Then again, the best solution would be a series like Game of Thrones where they don't have to worry about watering down the material.

GoF just needed to cut down on that AWFUL humor, and some of the teenage "romance". 

I still think the way they handled Crouch Jr was awful. He was a hack in the film. What made him so terrifying in the books is that he was so calm, broken, and lost...and that's what made it hit so hard. You never expected it. 

And one of the worst omissions in the series for me is at the end of GoF when Harry is hugged by Mrs. Weasley. It was so incredibly touching when she consoled him. It was the first time he'd ever felt like he had a mother in his life. Ugh.

• Like 2

I agree that the split was justified to an extent, since it was the finale of a decade-long story. They wanted to go out with a bang, so did the audience, and splitting it in two allowed for a more detailed adaptation of the book. I think they executed it well.

However, it's nonsense that "the story could not have fitted into one 3 hour film". They managed to adapt Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince into 2-hour films, and those books are both longer than Deathly Hallows. I'm glad they didn't do it, but it was definitely doable.

More plot happens in DH though. OOTP and HBP are long books, but they have a lot of extraneous plot lines that could and were easily cut without much being affected. Not the case with DH, and, I would argue, with GOF.

• Like 1