Theory of Everything (2014)

31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This movie had me almost balling my eyes out. I thought I was going through menopause. I normally don't get choked during movies, but watching his physical health detoriate was heart breaking. My mom was a mess, she was crying the entire movie. Something about the movie seemed to tug the heart strings.

Asides from the deterioration of the body which was well documented and executed great ... the rest of the movie wasn't up to par. If the rest of the movie had as big an emotional impact it probably would have been one of the best movies I watched, but the meandering and untouched areas left something on the table.

B

This was the definition of a movie saved by actors. The direction was actively bad and the script was pretty mediocre and dull at points, but both Jones and obviously Redmayne give phenomenal performances that are definitely worth seeing. I’m honestly not even that mad anymore if Redmayne beats Keaton, even though Keaton was better. Good score too. Overall, the movie was pretty eh though. B-

Something that did make me laugh though is that the ending when the whole movie rewinds was some crappy bullshit I added to one of my student film projects to fill time, and it actually was in this movie LOL.

• Like 1

So, Eddie was outstanding. although I wonder how much had to do with make-up and such. but I was really really surprised with Felicity Jones her performance was near perfection. but this movie seems to not try to know what it is, there is hardly any "Theory"  and if it's a romance, then why was the beginning so rushed? and not even a happy ending at that. the over focus on his condition I felt was actually pretty grim and made the film feel depressing. I didn't care much for it. C+

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

Standard biopic by numbers. Eddie Redmayne is insanely good - was I the only one who kept trying (and failing) to mimic the physical and facial contortions as I was watching (I was watching alone don't worry)? It's impossible! And not only that but he manages to deliver a truly soulful performance beneath it.

Felicity Jones was great too, but I wish the film had delved further into their problems. There's definitely something interesting to be said about the strain long term illness must have upon all relationships, but the films dances very politely around it.

• Like 1

The trailer was better.

6/10

PS: Hawking's story is also a great example of the adage, Behind every great man there's a great woman. They told him he had two years left to live, and dude is 72 now. I'm pretty sure his wife was his light at the end of the tunnel, that gave him the strength to live on.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1