Olive

Official Weekend Est: MJ1 56.9M Penguins 25.8m BH6 18.77m Interstellar 15.8M

Thoughts:

Mockingjay is what it is at this point. Yes, it's gonna finish with substantially less than the first two. No, there's nothing we can about it.

Tepid start for Penguins of Madagascar, while a terrible opening for Horrible Bosses 2, which will likely miss $50M at this point.

Strong hold for Big Hero 6, unsurprisingly. Good to see Interstellar increased a tiny bit. Gone Girl is still holding superbly. Dumb and Dumber To is fading fast.

Excellent expansion for The Theory of Everything. Focus has done a great job of turning it into a film with crossover appeal.

Foxcatcher is still doing solid numbers. And incredible start for The Imitation Game. It'll be interesting to see how it expands from here and if Harvey can turn it into an awards success despite a muted critical reception.

• Like 1

And incredible start for The Imitation Game. It'll be interesting to see how it expands from here and if Harvey can turn it into an awards success despite a muted critical reception.

85% on RT? I've no interest in the film but that's not exactly muted.

Through Sunday estimates, IS is currently running at 117.1% of Skyfall's OD multiplier (181.7M pace).  MJ1 is running at 92.2% of CF's OD multiplier (324M pace).  BH6 is at 101.3% of WiR's OD multiplier (212M pace).  

The King's Speech is one of the safest, most vanilla, and most mediocre films I've ever seen.

Yeah but the truth is it worked and the actors were great but Tom Hooper is a hack though. A random tv show director would have nailed The king s Speech script.

Safest?  Yes, definitely.  But the acting from the two leads is so wonderful that it prevents the film from being mediocre.

I thought (shockingly) the King's Speech was a much better film than The Social Network.  TSN just seemed too disjointed for me.  I was surprised it got so much recognition.

• Like 2

I would say that both DOTPOTA and Tak3n target teens.

Anything with Liam Nesson primarily targets adults. The original had stellar WOM from adults carry it to $145 million

The Apes reboots targets a slightly more sophisticated demo than the teens that drive Transformers and Fast &Furious

The Hobbit is PG-13: it's not a kids movie. Same goes for Star Wars, HP, Avengers, Batman, and anything that kids happen to like.

I believe family-friendly or four quadrant is a proper label for Hobbit.

Safest? Yes, definitely. But the acting from the two leads is so wonderful that it prevents the film from being mediocre.

Compared to Social Network, Toy Story 3 and HTTYD1, King's Speech is horribly mediocre.

It could have been a BBC made for TV movie and no one would be able to tell the difference

• Like 1

Anything with Liam Nesson primarily targets adults. The original had stellar WOM from adults carry it to $145 million

The Apes reboots targets a slightly more sophisticated demo than the teens that drive Transformers and Fast &Furious

The Hobbit is PG-13: it's not a kids movie. Same goes for Star Wars, HP, Avengers, Batman, and anything that kids happen to like.

I believe family-friendly or four quadrant is a proper label for Hobbit.

But the whole point was that there are no films at the Christmas season that target adults.....not this past year.