A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

Finally saw HTTYD 2 and couldn't believe what I saw. For a company so dependent on franchises the movie is not made for American kids at all. Where's the toilet humor for young boys? And what was that with the entire 20 minute sequence of Hiccup's mom and dad?

They seemed to have given up on the domestic market and only concentrated on overseas for this movie unlike the first one.

• Like 2

Looks like Hasbro is interesting in acquiring DWA:

http://deadline.com/2014/11/dreamworks-animation-hasbro-merger-negotiations-in-works-1201282751/

This will likely be great for Hasbro as it's give access to DWA's characters and film library and a film studio and also for Katzenberg since it'll mean less to worry about DWA's financial performances. I do wonder if Dreamworks SKG will have to renamed since Dreamworks Animation own the Dreamworks name and I imagine Hasbro will want to establish live action films under the Dreamworks name eventually.

• Like 1

Finally saw HTTYD 2 and couldn't believe what I saw. For a company so dependent on franchises the movie is not made for American kids at all. Where's the toilet humor for young boys? And what was that with the entire 20 minute sequence of Hiccup's mom and dad?

They seemed to have given up on the domestic market and only concentrated on overseas for this movie unlike the first one.

Seriously...damn good movie.

It underperformed domestic, and it deserved better. Big Hero Six will outgross it...and it really shouldn't be that way.

Looks like Hasbro is interesting in acquiring DWA:

http://deadline.com/2014/11/dreamworks-animation-hasbro-merger-negotiations-in-works-1201282751/

This will likely be great for Hasbro as it's give access to DWA's characters and film library and a film studio and also for Katzenberg since it'll mean less to worry about DWA's financial performances. I do wonder if Dreamworks SKG will have to renamed since Dreamworks Animation own the Dreamworks name and I imagine Hasbro will want to establish live action films under the Dreamworks name eventually.

Finally, the My Little Pony movie we deserve.

That's funny, I thought that zany animated comedy sequels were all the rage OS:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=madagascar3.htm

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=iceage4.htm

And have DWA given up on Japan, too?

JK can feel the electric synergy coursing through his veins! And yes, I like that word--it just sounds cool, especially when you do an extended 's' sound. ;)

I wonder what Disney thinks of this. I mean, there have been indications in the past that they may be interested in acquiring Hasbro at some point, and I considered the recent partnership they've formed a step in that direction (I watch this stuff because I own a fair number of Disney shares and would prefer their market value to go up). Imagine if this deal goes through and then Disney eventually buys Hasbro. :lol: In any case, I think that what Disney thinks would matter quite a bit, actually--nothing legal is involved, but I'd imagine that they have a lot more leverage on Hasbro in their partnership than the other way around. If Disney is actually in favor of this, then hmmm.... :thinking:

• Like 2

Many Forces Are Pulling DreamWorks Animation in Diverse Directions

Walt Disney is a big studio built around smaller units: Marvel Entertainment, Pixar and the classic Disney animation shop, among others.

Now DreamWorks Animation appears on the brink of becoming Disney’s opposite: a small studio tugged in different directions by forces as varied as a giant toy company and the Chinese government.

As word surfaced late Wednesday of merger talks between DreamWorks Animation and the toymaker Hasbro, DreamWorks Animation seemed poised to complete a transformation that would feed its need for growth and its push into toys and other merchandise, while risking the focus and fierce independence that once were hallmarks of the company and its chief executive, Jeffrey Katzenberg.

Mr. Katzenberg declined to be interviewed on Thursday.

Full article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/business/media/many-forces-are-pulling-dreamworks-animation-in-diverse-directions.html?_r=0

• Like 3

Dreamworks Animation are never going to be as big as Disney unless they started branching into lots of different areas and they likely don't have the money or the resources to do so. By being acquired by Hasbro or another company, DWA will simply become a subsidy of a larger company rather than a large company in its own right. 

• Like 2

the transpiring of the merger talks pulled the Hasbro stock so much down, that the talks ended very quickly

Joking or not, they do have to tread carefully.  They have to weigh the purchase against the prospect of pissing Disney off when Disney brands are accounting for a large amount of products they currently make.

Rudolf's right:

DreamWorks Animation’s merger talks with Hasbro have stopped, two days after Deadline reported that Jeffrey Katzenberg’s indie studio and the toymaker were far into negotiations to combine into what would be an entertainment power. On Thursday, the day after the news broke, DWA’s market value appreciated about $300 million to $2.2 billion as its share price rose as high as 16%. But Hasbro stock has fallen the past two days, with some analysts questioning whether Katzenberg’s asking price of $35 a share was too steep. DWA shares ended the week at $26.02.

There had been a flurry of meetings and talks for the past couple of weeks, but we’re hearing that those discussions have come to an end. While it seems negotiations have likely ceased, it might be a situation of never-say-never, according to sources close to the situation.

This is the second time a potential DWA sale has faltered, after Softbank and DWA had discussions about a deal. Like with Hasbro, analysts noted the value of DWA in such a deal did not make sense for the other part.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/dreamworks-animation-and-hasbro-merger-talks-off-for-now-1201284816/

Edited by Sir Tiki
  • Like 2

The fact that this is the second time a buyout has broken down makes me wonder whether Katzenberg is overestimating how much DWA is worth and its a sticking point for Softbank and now Hasbro. I think if DWA's stock falls further next year when Home and possibly BOO flops, companies may be more interested acquiring it at a lower price.

The fact that this is the second time a buyout has broken down makes me wonder whether Katzenberg is overestimating how much DWA is worth and its a sticking point for Softbank and now Hasbro.

Well, Katzenberg flat out said that he thinks DWA is worth at least as much as Disney paid for Pixar, which by the way is probably more than Hasbro's total market capitalization at the moment. :lol: Well, DWA is bigger than Pixar and they produce movies at a significantly faster rate, but the problem is that they're way behind in terms of profitability.

I think if DWA's stock falls further next year when Home and possibly BOO flops, companies may be more interested acquiring it at a lower price.

Yeah, they're all waiting for Katzenberg to come crawling instead of wearing a DreamWorks face. ;)

• Like 1