A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

Maybe if the budgets weren't so damn high, maybe they could actually, oh I don't know, lose less money?

DWA's budget have been getting lower due to them outsourcing some of the animation to China and India, Home was $135m but they're trying to cut budgets to $125m per film which is still high but lower than what they used to cost. 

Shark Tale and Turbo...

Mr Peabody and Sherman was another one, Pixar films you can see the money on screen and they invest in things which pretty much become the standard in CG films, something like Minions is impressive but it's nowhere near as detailed as Inside Out

• Like 1

Well then, I was seriously considering buying DWA shares for all the money that I have. That will help, wouldn't it?

And I'll also make some nice profit, hehe.

Shit they fell a lot. https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3ADWA&ei=DgIbVYH8KseCwgOstoHgBg

Lost 33%!!!

Even better. :) I'll wait till Kung Fu Panda gets near - then get all in on the lowest price, and then profit when the movie kills it. B)

Edited by The ShaYshank Redemption

Wrong thinking.

And at least with DW you can always actually SEE where the money went.

Beautiful art.

True but the animation is not what the budget itself covers mostly. It covers the marketing, the payment of the actors, the promotional materials, the 3D (it's not cheap to convert), legal fees and a whole bunch of other things that I'm not going to get into. Most of the money itself goes into the marketing which is usually added onto the budget (and it is generally about half of the production budget itself) making the overall cost much higher than initially projected. So overall, it's easier to lose money than to gain it.
  • Like 1

Shit they fell a lot. https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3ADWA&ei=DgIbVYH8KseCwgOstoHgBg

Lost 33%!!!

Even better. :) I'll wait till Kung Fu Panda gets near - then get all in on the lowest price, and then profit when the movie kills it. B)

^^ Now you all know why the Shay does not need to work.

Edited by The ShaYshank Redemption

Now, we got KFP3, which will own most of February. OS will save it this time with China.

DOM-wise, it's competitors are more weaker. Deadpool may not even breakout at all. (See FF-reboot, now currently.) Ben-Hur remake is another one of those remakes, which is as pointless as they come. And also....I don't think Zoolander 2 could hold on for that long. Since no one will give a crap about those February movies.

Best that America gets wiser for the movie they need to see. You got smart for avoiding and rejecting the FF-reboot.

This will be the case where it will go right this time with KFP3.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Really? IMO, the most interesting future DreamWorks stuff are the projects that are currently "indefinitely postponed" (Me and My Shadow, Monkeys of Mumbai).

Other than Larrikins and HTTYD3, the rest seem like boilerplate DWA films. Mediocre-looking originals vs. sequels to great films that could go either way quality-wise seems like kind of a wash.

Edited by TServo2049