A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

OS, everything almost all movies including KFP2 and HTTYD2 did very well. P&S disappointed.

DOM, in the last few years the 1st movie that disappointed was KFP2. I still have no theories around it.

Then came Puss in Boots which did well. Madg 3 did very well and increased on Madg 2. Croods did very well. Turbo disappointed. Peabody and Sherman disappointed.

HTTYD2 underperformed but I have my theory around it. Both HTTYD1 and Alice in Wonderland were the 1st beneficieries of the post Avatar 3D bump. They released in March just as Avatar was slowing down relatively. AiW pushed Avatar out of top 5 and HTTYD1 pushed Avatar out of top 10. Apart from it's own merit, HTTYD1 legs were due to 3D and reminiscent of leggy runs like those of Journey to Center 3D, Polar Express, etc.

So HTTYD2 dom in hindsight does not surprise me much and it did very well OS.

Then Penguins did badly. Home did very well.

So KFP2, Turbo, Penguins and Peabody and Sherman are the 4 dom disappointments imo. Turbo looked bad from the 1st trailer itself.

And OS only P&S did bad. Even Turbo managed nearly 200m os. Penguins did 290m os.

Don't think that much went wrong with Dreamworks. Probably expectations were a bit too high.

Edited by a2k

Pixar. That's what went wrong. If Pixar didn't exist, imagine how much rosier DWA's prospects would be.

Easy.

Wrong.

Dreamworks worst enemy is the Blue Sky/Illumation combo that rose to prominence just as Dreamworks started falling behind (which was partially due to Dreamworks own bad decisions). Their offerings are closer to the typical Dreamworks movie than the typical Pixar movie which co-existed just fine with Dreamworks up until the 2010s.

• Like 3

Home does better then expected, and all the Dreamworks fanboys come out of the woodwork screaming all is well.

All is not well. Dreamworks has a ton of red ink still,and even if KFP3 is  big hit,it won't be enough alone to put DWA back on it's feet.

OS, everything almost all movies including KFP2 and HTTYD2 did very well. P&S disappointed.

DOM, in the last few years the 1st movie that disappointed was KFP2. I still have no theories around it.

Then came Puss in Boots which did well. Madg 3 did very well and increased on Madg 2. Croods did very well. Turbo disappointed. Peabody and Sherman disappointed.

HTTYD2 underperformed but I have my theory around it. Both HTTYD1 and Alice in Wonderland were the 1st beneficieries of the post Avatar 3D bump. They released in March just as Avatar was slowing down relatively. AiW pushed Avatar out of top 5 and HTTYD1 pushed Avatar out of top 10. Apart from it's own merit, HTTYD1 legs were due to 3D and reminiscent of leggy runs like those of Journey to Center 3D, Polar Express, etc.

So HTTYD2 dom in hindsight does not surprise me much and it did very well OS.

Then Penguins did badly. Home did very well.

So KFP2, Turbo, Penguins and Peabody and Sherman are the 4 dom disappointments imo. Turbo looked bad from the 1st trailer itself.

And OS only P&S did bad. Even Turbo managed nearly 200m os. Penguins did 290m os.

Don't think that much went wrong with Dreamworks. Probably expectations were a bit too high.

Then explain why Dreamworks stock i in trouble,no one wants to buy it,and they just  had big layoffs,and have cancelled or put on hold most of their scheduled films?

Home was a sucess,but not the huge sucess that Dreamworks needed. ANd even if KFP3 is a huge hit, it won't be enough to pull Dreamworks out of it's deep troubles.Their schudule after KFP3 does not look that promising.

IMHO Dreamworks is not going to survive as a indepdent studio. It is going to bought by somebody simply because Katzenbach will have no choice. And he knows that when he sells,his days as the head of DWA are numbered.

Really? IMO, the most interesting future DreamWorks stuff are the projects that are currently "indefinitely postponed" (Me and My Shadow, Monkeys of Mumbai).

Other than Larrikins and HTTYD3, the rest seem like boilerplate DWA films. Mediocre-looking originals vs. sequels to great films that could go either way quality-wise seems like kind of a wash.

Yeah, for a Dreamworks fanboy to attack Pixar for too many sequels is really funny.

Particulaly when Pixar just had of it biggest box office and critical suceeses with Inside Out....

• Like 1

And you are a Dreamworks hater...

Nah, just a realist; I think that Dreaworks has dug itself a hole that it is not going to be able to crawl out of,and a string of medicore movies that did not do well at the box office is the reason why.

Of course being either a hater or a fan all the only alternatives to someone with the fanboy mentality.

• Like 1

Wrong.

Dreamworks worst enemy is the Blue Sky/Illumation combo that rose to prominence just as Dreamworks started falling behind (which was partially due to Dreamworks own bad decisions). Their offerings are closer to the typical Dreamworks movie than the typical Pixar movie which co-existed just fine with Dreamworks up until the 2010s.

Illumination, Blue Sky, Sony, WB etc didn't help but the decision to release 2-3 films a year lead to over saturation with animated films and for an independent studio with DWA, each film had to do well which wasn't sustainable for their business model.

• Like 1

Illumination, Blue Sky, Sony, WB etc didn't help but the decision to release 2-3 films a year lead to over saturation with animated films and for an independent studio with DWA, each film had to do well which wasn't sustainable for their business model.

Yeah, I think the bad decisions that Katzenberg is either making or siging off on is Dreamworks worst enemy.

And even if KFP3 is a huge hit, it won't be enough to get DW back on track. IT will take a steady stream of hits to do that.And I am not optimistic as long as Katzenberg is in charge.

Wierd thing is that Pixar's post TS3 slump gave DW an opporuntiy to gain ground on Pixar, but they pretty much blew it.

I think the Peanuts movie is going to be  important for Blue Sky. They have had huge box office sucess but not that much critical sucess....Rio was the only recent film to have been modestly sucessful with the critics;but they really have a chance to make a kind of animated film they have not done before and help shake the reputation they have got for endless churning out lackluster though very sucesssful at the box office Ice Age Sequels.

Edited by dudalb

The first and third Ice Ages were exactly well received by audiences. The fourth however may have killed the series reputation.

But 4 still was a huge hit.

Frankly,the first one is the only one in the series I would consider to be a really good movie. The rest were just recycling the same old stuff.