A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

I think you mean Cars 2....

I think these three films were a big step down from Pixar at it's height....in fact, Cars 2, is the only Pixar film I would out and out call a bad film...But all three made money. Brave made a modest profit, Cars 2 did only OK at the box office, but the merchandise from the film sold like crazy and Dinsey made more from the merchandise then from the film itself...and MU was a pretty big hit, but did get overshadowered by Despicible Me 2.

And Pixar has just had massive sucess at all  levels with Inside Out.

Look, I don't hate Dreamworks. I thought the first two Shrek films were fun,and I really liked both of Dragons films, but I never cared for Kung Fu Panda (too much by the numbers for me,) and less said about some of their other efforts the better.

But you have to in denial to deny that Dreamworks is in deep,deep trouble,and a couple of hit films will not be enought to pull them out of it.

Yeah, yeah, I have the Cars franchise in mind, since the first one was really no better received then either MU or Brave, and was considered the blacksheep of The Pixar films up until it's sequel was released (I don't mind either film).

Katzenberg only has himself to blame for Dreamworks animations financial troubles. He really should have really conservative with the number of animated movies he greenlit. Three animated movies a year, especially when animation is an all-time high in terms of the number of films per year, is really, really, asking for trouble.

• Like 1

I did'nt mind the first Cars movie, but the second was really weak,and the only Pixar film that I would call a Cash Grab pure and simple.

BUt Pixar has one thing to it's credit:It still has easily the best Fantastic Four movie ever made with "The Incredibles".

Yeah, yeah, I have the Cars franchise in mind, since the first one was really no better received then either MU or Brave, and was considered the blacksheep of The Pixar films up until it's sequel was released (I don't mind either film).

Katzenberg only has himself to blame for Dreamworks animations financial troubles. He really should have really conservative with the number of animated movies he greenlit. Three animated movies a year, especially when animation is an all-time high in terms of the number of films per year, is really, really, asking for trouble.

And when so many of the films turn out to be not very good,that make things even worse.

Of course the two are connected;that three films a year schedule meant that they greenlighted films they never should have greenlit.Quanity is often the enemy of Quality.

And when so many of the films turn out to be not very good,that make things even worse.

Of course the two are connected;that three films a year schedule meant that they greenlighted films they never should have greenlit.Quanity is often the enemy of Quality.

Yup, as much as I enjoy some of Dreamworks animated films, for every HTYD, we get a Penguins of Madagascar (not a bad film, just very uninteresting).

Dreamworks should be more about quality and less about "which animated movie could we turn into a franchise next". When all those Dreamworks sequels were announced about a year ago, I knew it was Katzenberg on damage control mode.

Edited by FancyArcher
  • Like 3

Only in US

That's not something that just Inside Out. For the most part, animated films don't perform especially well overseas unless they're a sequel. This is true for Dreamworks, Pixar, Blue Sky, etc.

Here's the jump in OS gross from first to second films in various series.

DM 291m to 602m.

HTTYD 277m to 441m.

Shrek 216m to 478m.

Cars 216m to 368m.

Ice Age 206m to 465m.

Basically you can expect a huge jump for a sequel. But you need to have the creative space to develop said sequel AND there has to be enough financial support for the first film to justify it.

IO has had a relatively weak OS gross compared to its US take. But that doesn't mean it's a bad performance.

If IO had done a Pixar typical 230m DOM and gotten another 370m OS, people would have said that's a perfectly fine performance. The fact that the US has overperformed by 50% compared to such an expectation doesn't mean that it's bad because the OS didn't do the same.

• Like 1

When all those Dreamworks sequels were announced about a year ago, I knew it was Katzenberg on damage control mode.

It was three sequels: Croods 2, Puss in Boots 2 and Madagascar 4. And the last two are officially on indefinite hiatus since the schedule got cut back from three films a year down to two a year.

It was three sequels: Croods 2, Puss in Boots 2 and Madagascar 4. And the last two are officially on indefinite hiatus since the schedule got cut back from three films a year down to two a year.

Yeah, I know, it's still something to take note of, especially Puss in Boots. The first one did fine, but I don't think anyone is really asking for a sequel, so I think it's a good thing on hiatus.

Yeah, I know, it's still something to take note of, especially Puss in Boots. The first one did fine, but I don't think anyone is really asking for a sequel, so I think it's a good thing on hiatus.

Ironic that because of Cash Flow problems,the three films a year Dreamworks is going to be reduced to one film a year.

Ironic that because of Cash Flow problems,the three films a year Dreamworks is going to be reduced to one film a year.

Yup. Katzenberg now has to be conservative with his film choices more then ever.

Edited by FancyArcher
  • Like 1

Maybe it was the potential for further OS expansion. The original made $400M OS, after all ($50M of that from Russia alone).

I could see that, but it's been far too long since the last one, that at this point, I doubt most people care.

Shay just has problems admitting that his Great God Katzenbach has screwed up so badly with Dreamworks.

And Katzenberg is not a employee.he runs the freaking company..and has ran it right into the ground.

Frankly, I don't think Dreaworks is going to survive as an independent company ;the Red Ink is just too deep. Even if KFP3 is a huge hit it alone won't be enough to pull Dreamworks out of it's talespin. It might make it more attractive to buyers ,though.

And Katzenbach tried to sell Dreamworks but made too many demands and asked too high a price. But he will have no choice,eventually.

KFP3 might do very well but some people are going on about it as if it's going to be the next Frozen or Shrek 2 and even if it does do well, if Trolls ends up doing badly, that'll wipe out those profits just as Penguins of Madagascar was a write-off after the success of HTTYD2 and likewise Turbo after Croods.

KFP3 might do very well but some people are going on about it as if it's going to be the next Frozen or Shrek 2 and even if it does do well, if Trolls ends up doing badly, that'll wipe out those profits just as Penguins of Madagascar was a write-off after the success of HTTYD2 and likewise Turbo after Croods.

I also love the whole how KFP3 in China is going bring in 100's of millions of dollars. They forget one little thing; The Chinese Government has a stict limit that a studio only gets 25% of the box office take. That means that if KPFS does 200 Million in China Dreamworks will only get 50 Million.

Dreamworks, I just looked up, has nearly 600 Million iin debt. For a small studio...and by film industry standards, Dreamworks is small.that is a huge amount of debt. And just the interest and fees on that debt will eat up quite a bit of Dreaworks income...sort of like how the interest on a credit card can really slow down paying off the principal.

I also love the whole how KFP3 in China is going bring in 100's of millions of dollars. They forget one little thing; The Chinese Government has a stict limit that a studio only gets 25% of the box office take. That means that if KPFS does 200 Million in China Dreamworks will only get 50 Million.

Dreamworks, I just looked up, has nearly 600 Million iin debt. For a small studio...and by film industry standards, Dreamworks is small.that is a huge amount of debt. And just the interest and fees on that debt will eat up quite a bit of Dreaworks income...sort of like how the interest on a credit card can really slow down paying off the principal.

KFP3 is a co-production, so the DWA take could be slightly higher than that. Probably not the 50% that's roughly the norm elsewhere, but somewhere between the two.

Also, if it does 200m in China, that will be a massive disappointment. It should get upwards of 300m, and north of 400m won't be too big a surprise.

I do think DWA was valuable at one point but all the deal to purchase it have involved Katzenberg being put as head of the new company and I imagine he's the root of why these deals have fallen through. 

The oversaturation of the animation market was always going to have casualties and DWA did play a part of it and they're suffering as a result.

By all means, do NOT reply! I only want to bring the truth to the readers - not for some trolls to constantly challenge and belittle it.

One more time: do not ever question my statements, just accept them as the needed touch of justice and reason.

Never mind these people...

They don't understand Bulgarian.

Oh wait...that was English.

165.2 M KUNG FU PANDA II

149.3 M PUSS IN BOOTS

216.4 M MADAGASCAR: EUROPE'S MOST WANTED

103.4 M RISE OF THE GUARDIANS

187.2 M THE CROODS

083.0 M TURBO

177.0 M HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON II

083.4 M PENGUINS OF MADAGASCAR

177.2 M HOME